Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2259768 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10860 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »

Actually, it's probably possible to disable falling leaves/fruit with some simple raw editing if that's what you're referring to. I dunno. Gonna poke around a bit.

Mostly I want to avoid extensive DFHack use this time around 'cuz it feels like cheating and cheating is for the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:09 pm »

Actually, it's probably possible to disable falling leaves/fruit with some simple raw editing if that's what you're referring to. I dunno. Gonna poke around a bit.

Mostly I want to avoid extensive DFHack use this time around 'cuz it feels like cheating and cheating is for the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak

E: Also, may I have a peek at the prototypical OP when you're done with it, to give abusive ranting input? PM me it if you want.

E2: Boop. Looks like I hit "quote" instead of "edit". Oh well.

E3: Currently poking around plant_new_trees.txt and it looks as though simply hitting CTRL+H and replacing "[GROWTH_DROPS_OFF" with "(GROWTH_DROPS_OFF" will quickly and easily stop all plants from shedding leaves and fruit (not sure if this will stop the trees from going bare in autumn/winter, but I don't see why it would seeing as how there's another tag for that anyways).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:40:14 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: January 07, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »

Sorry for the long absence lads, but I take it we're not going to continue on this particular fork of the story with the space travel and the railguns and the robots and such? What's the current status of the next game? Position of chief is still up, right?

All good. And probably not, but god damn does it make a good, if convoluted, setting on its own. And chief?

Meant to say chef. Or specifically, the chief chef!
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: January 07, 2015, 05:54:55 pm »

Sorry for the long absence lads, but I take it we're not going to continue on this particular fork of the story with the space travel and the railguns and the robots and such? What's the current status of the next game? Position of chief is still up, right?

All good. And probably not, but god damn does it make a good, if convoluted, setting on its own. And chief?

Meant to say chef. Or specifically, the chief chef!

Pff, if you wanna be head cook go for it.

E: Also, may I have a peek at the prototypical OP when you're done with it, to give abusive ranting input? PM me it if you want.

E2: Boop. Looks like I hit "quote" instead of "edit". Oh well.

E3: Currently poking around plant_new_trees.txt and it looks as though simply hitting CTRL+H and replacing "[GROWTH_DROPS_OFF" with "(GROWTH_DROPS_OFF" will quickly and easily stop all plants from shedding leaves and fruit (not sure if this will stop the trees from going bare in autumn/winter, but I don't see why it would seeing as how there's another tag for that anyways).

See how it affects fruit. And certainly, was going to PM it to you and a few others anyway.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: January 07, 2015, 06:11:32 pm »

It'll prolly prevent fruit from dropping, too, considering that fruit uses a very similar tag to enable it falling ([GROWTH_DROPS_OFF_NO_CLOUD] as opposed to [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF]). Don't have time to test it right now, unfortunately; will try to do so later tonight.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:00:28 pm by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10865 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:51 pm »

Urgh. I was super-proud because it looked like it had worked and the leaves were changing properly and no FPS-killing bullshit was being strewn about, but then winter came around and all of the leaves and fruit dropped off of the trees simultaneously. fffFFFFfff

TOADYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:44 pm »

Mental Image: Brewer Dwarves sitting there admiring the trees (for the new varieties of booze they will make from those delicious fruits,) and suddenly...
1st of Moonstone
*EVERYTHING JUST FALLS OFF*
Brewer 1: What in the hell?
Brewer 2: Well, so much for the peach cider and cherry wine we were gonna have. It was-
Brewer 1: I swear to Moldath if you finish that sentence I will stab you in the eye with a fucking spork.

I was just concerned about whether or not we'd be able to harvest the fruit, what with my not knowing what anything does anymore with much of the raws.

EDIT: In other news, the test fort is officially known to the spawn! Except it wasn't a Spawn that we ran into. it was a Spawn-raised human. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean what i think it means.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: January 08, 2015, 11:37:15 pm »

Mental Image: Brewer Dwarves sitting there admiring the trees (for the new varieties of booze they will make from those delicious fruits,) and suddenly...
1st of Moonstone
*EVERYTHING JUST FALLS OFF*
Brewer 1: What in the hell?
Brewer 2: Well, so much for the peach cider and cherry wine we were gonna have. It was-
Brewer 1: I swear to Moldath if you finish that sentence I will stab you in the eye with a fucking spork.

I was just concerned about whether or not we'd be able to harvest the fruit, what with my not knowing what anything does anymore with much of the raws.

EDIT: In other news, the test fort is officially known to the spawn! Except it wasn't a Spawn that we ran into. it was a Spawn-raised human. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean what i think it means.

Poop. Are mixed-species sieges a thing now? I really don't want mixed sieges to be a thing. When I specify in the raws that I want Holistic Spawn to attack at a certain time, I want Spawn, and specifically Spawn, to attack at that time, and not before or after and that just adaffarwgra
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:47:46 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: January 08, 2015, 11:54:58 pm »

Mixed-race attacks have always been a thing. We had spawn mixed into the goblin ranks here (only... Two I think though,) and humans, dwarves, and whatever else are more than capable of leading thier surrogate race into battle.

I'm amazed I haven't been attacked by either them or the goblins yet, since those are my only neighbors outside the safe-zone.

And it's more an optimization thing. The game wasn't meant to handle the load it has to now with the number of materials it needs to track and all the item-contaminants from the leaves, flowers, and such. It needs a massive round of optimization for that stuff, but bug-fixing is taking priority, though after any serious game-wrecking bugs are squashed it should really be done.

Oh well though, we can make due.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:08 am »

Mixed-race attacks have always been a thing. We had spawn mixed into the goblin ranks here (only... Two I think though,) and humans, dwarves, and whatever else are more than capable of leading thier surrogate race into battle.

Point. I had actually forgotten about that. My bad.

I kind of got a nightmare vision of a completely-random hodgepodge turning up with each siege regardless of what's specified in the raws and proceeded to completely lose my head.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:09 am »

Point. I had actually forgotten about that. My bad.

I kind of got a nightmare vision of a completely-random hodgepodge turning up with each siege regardless of what's specified in the raws and proceeded to completely lose my head.

Hey, that's what happens when you need to force advance scouts that won't book it right away. I mean, they will, but they'll be more inclined to attack than flee outright.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:47 am »

A bump and notice: First trial by fire.

Said "army" consists of four spawn. Whose first action in the area was to make a bee-line for a roaming herd of wild giant emu. The first spawn to be injured outside of testing is shot by a quartet of marksdwarves, who take advantage of it getting stunned dodging a bolt into the river and proceed to shoot the fuck out of it. A single melee squad remains behind to fight if it gets out, while the other two I have, numbering 8 dwarves in all, go after another, two spawn having left the area after killing several of the giant emu.

The spawn lose two members who wander out of the area.

The still-landbound spawn is set upon by the militia just as it finishes killing an emu. In the ensuing clash they quickly disable its legs and arms after a dwarf's hand is clawed, but an axedwarf suffers a skin-tearing bite and another dwarf is knocked unconscious when he gets his head chomped on. These two are mercifully the only wounded, and the head victim may be saved thanks to my foresight to build a decent and stocked hospital.

I'm going to have to monitor the actual bite victim as he may contract spawn fever, but toherwise this initial test was... Well, less than optimal but at least they weren't instant death machines. in fact, the only deaths from the battle were from AI stupidity - two dwarves tried to climb across the outside of the bridge and fell into the river, drowning themselves.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:55 am »

Well, a successful test is one that yields results, so that would definitely be a successful field test~

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: January 10, 2015, 09:50:17 am »

I guess. The spawn were also pretty quick to declare war right after, so I'm probably going to be seeing them semi-regularly.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:55 am »

This could bode to be interesting. Also it's nice to see things actually going forward. Hopefully those spawn were just idiots or they might need some tuning.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 815