Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253331 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Good news: it looks like I may yet be able to find a happy medium between trash golems being able to survive worldgen and said trash golems actually being killable in fort mode! Hurray!
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile

The one where you talk to your deity and the one where you block are avoidable, just don't do them. But the one where the calendar crashes the game... I can't start any more games, it refuses to get past the calendar.  :'(

On the bright side, I did run around the arena decapitating multiple enemies while I ran past them. It was pretty neat. Archers are still OP though. Don't try to fight them.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Good news: it looks like I may yet be able to find a happy medium between trash golems being able to survive worldgen and said trash golems actually being killable in fort mode! Hurray!

I've heard this before...   :P
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can kind of see morale snafus becoming the soldiers-don't-train-properly of DF2014. I was testing trash golems in the arena and the second I turned morale/fear on an entire squad of 25 fully-armed dwarves turned tail and ran like bitches while the trashie spewed sludge at them and generally fucked them up.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I can kind of see morale snafus becoming the soldiers-don't-train-properly of DF2014. I was testing trash golems in the arena and the second I turned morale/fear on an entire squad of 25 fully-armed dwarves turned tail and ran like bitches while the trashie spewed sludge at them and generally fucked them up.

It takes months of training to yield solid and dependable soldiers, but gone are the days of lone dwarf death machines I believe. Sort of anyway.

Werebull attack one saw my commander run away without trying to fight. Werebull attack two saw her and her squad (who had about 7-9 months of training and very high discipline skill coupled with back-up) dog pile the thing. A factor as to if it will interrupt a dwarf now or cause a flight response seems to be a mix of sight, scent, and size. Small creatures like kea are now considered a minor threat at best that dwarves will ignore while something like a weremarmot will scare the shit out of them.

That being said, it may be a mix of poor discipline and the creature's scent and size scaring them. Also, anyone else vote for a 'Soldier' caste for regular troops that grant the [NO_FEAR] tag? It may be necessary to face the spawn and megaspawn, if that tag affects a unit's morale checks.

EDIT: We'll also have to watch out for any tree loving races. I just got sucked into a war I did nothing to start.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your civ must have already been at war with them, or you cut down ALOT of trees.

...actually, it's possible the game figures out how many trees you've cut down by how many logs you've created. Which, now that chopping down a tree yields a ridiculous amount of logs, could equal instant war with the elves. Hehehehe.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Scent may definitely be a factor. I turned the thing's odor value thingy to like 1000 (I figure that a being made entirely of assorted putrified organic matter probably don't smell like a spring breeze).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your civ must have already been at war with them, or you cut down ALOT of trees.

...actually, it's possible the game figures out how many trees you've cut down by how many logs you've created. Which, now that chopping down a tree yields a ridiculous amount of logs, could equal instant war with the elves. Hehehehe.

Oh no, was at peace with them the second time the caravan showed up, and summer rolls around the same year and the civ screen switched to 'At War' and I got reports of an advancing elven army, two fortresses being conquered, and my king dying without an heir (in fact, the liaison's oldest daughter took over.) The implications are the capital has fallen and the king was killed in battle. Also, it's obvious this war was premeditated and probably in the making on the elves' part with the rapidness of thier advance in just a few short months.

So now Spiritnets (my fortress which was a reclaimed worldgen site that had been trashed by a titan,) is preparing its populous for war. Copper, iron, steel and industry. It will meet wood, claw, and nature on the field of battle in the Hinterlands of The Special Diamond. As an act of war/show of force, all the trees in our surface holding have been felled and many smaller plants ordered to be torn up by herbalists.

Nature will find no place here.

@Splint:

Scent may definitely be a factor. I turned the thing's odor value thingy to like 1000 (I figure that a being made entirely of assorted putrified organic matter probably don't smell like a spring breeze).

That's my assumption since dead humans (I got attacked by a bandit gang in summer of year 2 in Spiritnets,) caused several dwarves to be overwhelmed by horror, presumably from the stench of death. Also the first kill of the fort was a human my once-massive-coward militia commander punched. Hard enough to cave his chest in. Which then actually horrified both her own soldiers and several bandits.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile

The one where you talk to your deity and the one where you block are avoidable, just don't do them. But the one where the calendar crashes the game... I can't start any more games, it refuses to get past the calendar.  :'(

Speak of the Devil, we got a bug patch.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

The calender never crashed, it just lagged it to the point where windows thinks it did.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speak of the Devil, we got a bug patch.
Patch doesn't address the slow calendar. The next one will though. Also hello everyone! I'm back and here to stay this time!
waits for roaring applause that never comes
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huzzah! The Master returns!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huzzah! The Master returns!
To bring doom, death, and despair in packages made from only the purest hazelnut!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile

Hazelnut... I wonder if that's in the game. I found lots of other weird plants. So much so that I can't find any useful surface plants.

And I just got pig tails back. They disappeared for a while(which is why I wanted Rope Reeds). Weird.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:31:48 pm by Starweaver396 »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Master is back! Please accept this offering of Wood Stain, Wood Polish, and Hazelnut Weaponry. Spare my soul.
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 815