Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253641 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Mmhmm. Thank you! And like I said, I was drawn in by all the good writers already here. Talvieno and Mr. Frog, you're both great writers. I just don't have the patience to read the full of your stories. That's why I'm glad that people are compiling PDF's for me to read late at night when my internet time's up but I still can't sleep.
Heh, that sounds a lot like hinting. One moment.
:D Thanks Talv!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Spearbreakers, the main thread, will take a LOT longer to finish putting together - I actually worked for a couple weeks straight, spending all my free time on it, just to get it as far as it is now. lol   It involved sorting through all the convos and placing everything in the correct chronological order.

Vanya's story is considerably easier. There are currently sixty chapters posted, the order is obvious, and, as an added bonus, I don't have to search internet archives for lost images links. lol   You get it pretty much pulled straight from the thread.

Vanya's story is here, click for a PDF download. Hope you don't mind mediafire. (I also put a huge link at the top of the Skulker's Tale thread - who knows, maybe somebody will read it that wouldn't have otherwise. lol)

I'll have to finish the Spearbreakers PDF sometime, but that's a monumental task all to itself. lol    I've decided I need to make a overseer-only PDF anyway, as well as a second one that includes the best bits of the thread. Spearbreakers PDF is in the second post - or what I had put together of it.

edit: Hey, Splint, Spearbreakers PDF has 1132 downloads. Holy shit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:50:24 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Thanks again. And I grabbed the other PDF from the second post already, just haven't read it much yet. And maybe it could be easier, if everyone did their own characters' stories. What are you using to make the PDF's?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Originally I was using a bunch of various programs cobbled together, because I lacked a computer of my own and couldn't install anything anywhere. Now, I just use Microsoft Word. Seems to work well enough.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Nice job with Koth's story! As always, your battle sequences are seamless, and the character is well put together. What is it about Spearbreakers that attracts such good writers?
Wrote this a couple years ago:
WHY ARE ALL YOU GUYS SUCH GOOD WRITERS? You could turn Spearbreakers into a good movie with the amount of information you guys have been throwing off.
There is absolutely no way in this world I'd make a good director.

And Spearbreakers practically begs to have stories written about it. Think about it - you've got tons of "bad guys" who aren't really bad guys at all, but are simply on their own side - Parasol, Joseph, Ballpoint, the necromancers, and if you want you can simply write from a different viewpoint and make the good guys into bad guys. You've got a huge history, you've got constant battles just to protect caravans passing through, you've got a sci-fi war going on at the same time, you have no shortage of "good guys", and even the middling characters have enough meat on them to pass as protagonists if you wanted. You've got plenty of space for romance (generally of the epic failing variety, leading to awesome drama), and more than enough room for betrayal - everyone in Spearbreakers is basically on their own side, as it's so hard to survive that if you focus on anyone else you wind up zombie food (figuratively speaking). And when someone nears becoming zombie food, it's a perfect opportunity for a hero to emerge and save the day (or a villain to emerge and ensure their downfall). It's a writer's paradise.

Spearbreakers has good writers possibly because it attracts them. A story about a happy aboveground fort with unicorns and rainbows and no problems to speak of begs for nothing to be written about it... and Spearbreakers is the absolute opposite. Nobody in the fortress is happy. ...except perhaps Draignean.

Actually, !Story Spearbreakers! is probably really close to a civil war.
Captain, you're a good writer too. lol

That is very true. Spearbreakers really is a writer's paradise.

And remember, Reudh was radiantly happy while under the effects of Frog's tainted wine, as long as he was near Rose. (That wasn't a true happiness of course, as it was from being so high.)

Of course, it was at that time that the fortress came closest to a civil war, in my opinion. Splint was ready to depose Reudh if he didn't improve in behaviour and judgement.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Nice job with Koth's story! As always, your battle sequences are seamless, and the character is well put together. What is it about Spearbreakers that attracts such good writers?
Wrote this a couple years ago:
WHY ARE ALL YOU GUYS SUCH GOOD WRITERS? You could turn Spearbreakers into a good movie with the amount of information you guys have been throwing off.
There is absolutely no way in this world I'd make a good director.

And Spearbreakers practically begs to have stories written about it. Think about it - you've got tons of "bad guys" who aren't really bad guys at all, but are simply on their own side - Parasol, Joseph, Ballpoint, the necromancers, and if you want you can simply write from a different viewpoint and make the good guys into bad guys. You've got a huge history, you've got constant battles just to protect caravans passing through, you've got a sci-fi war going on at the same time, you have no shortage of "good guys", and even the middling characters have enough meat on them to pass as protagonists if you wanted. You've got plenty of space for romance (generally of the epic failing variety, leading to awesome drama), and more than enough room for betrayal - everyone in Spearbreakers is basically on their own side, as it's so hard to survive that if you focus on anyone else you wind up zombie food (figuratively speaking). And when someone nears becoming zombie food, it's a perfect opportunity for a hero to emerge and save the day (or a villain to emerge and ensure their downfall). It's a writer's paradise.

Spearbreakers has good writers possibly because it attracts them. A story about a happy aboveground fort with unicorns and rainbows and no problems to speak of begs for nothing to be written about it... and Spearbreakers is the absolute opposite. Nobody in the fortress is happy. ...except perhaps Draignean.

Actually, !Story Spearbreakers! is probably really close to a civil war.

Man, I remember reading that now- it was actually one of the factors that got me out of lurking. My existence on these forums is partially your fault!

You decide if that's a good thing. :)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Just feel like saying it, the fortress is probably still teetering on a full blown war with itself due to a power vacuum left by many founders dying, our one human resident being murdered, and the mayor being a complete moron who thinks he can do a founder's job better.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Haha! Civil war? That's really awful actually...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And remember, Reudh was radiantly happy while under the effects of Frog's tainted wine, as long as he was near Rose. (That wasn't a true happiness of course, as it was from being so high.)

Of course, it was at that time that the fortress came closest to a civil war, in my opinion. Splint was ready to depose Reudh if he didn't improve in behaviour and judgement.
I don't think everybody would've followed Splint. Reudh had a respected circle of good friends. Plus, the people who wouldn't follow Splint would've followed Reudh, so yeah, it could've been a civil war. :P It was rectified, though.

\
  Man, I remember reading that now- it was actually one of the factors that got me out of lurking. My existence on these forums is partially your fault!

You decide if that's a good thing. :)
Most definitely a good thing. No question, really.

Just feel like saying it, the fortress is probably still teetering on a full blown war with itself due to a power vacuum left by many founders dying, our one human resident being murdered, and the mayor being a complete moron who thinks he can do a founder's job better.
Vanya's story isn't likely to go that far... more likely, I'll end Vanya's story after the in-story "Final Battle", but I'm not entirely sure how yet. There are a few different options, and none of them seem too promising.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Well, that's great. I'm gonna end up entering the fort in the midst of a Civil War. >.<

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that's great. I'm gonna end up entering the fort in the midst of a Civil War. >.<
Not necessarily, just choose a time. If you want to arrive before Vanya gets back, I could even potentially include you in her story bits. Don't feel too bad about it, either - in most forts, if you arrived after it was over, that would mean it was the end, and everyone was dead.

Besides, even if you want to arrive after the fort's already "ended", I think Mr Frog could keep things under control in Splint's absence. If he can't, there's also Draconik, Wari, and whichever reincarnation of Jack Magnus/Maggie. Mitch is probably there, too, still - I don't recall him dying. Draignean too. Dauros. Plenty of folks still alive. :\

I should take a look at the final save, maybe. See what I can do with it. Maybe I could give the fort a more official, permanent end... but, I'm already biting off quite a bit already, so I don't know. :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:36:51 am by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Hmm. I'll take a look at it, and see what I can do as per concluding it. If that's alright with you.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I'll take a look at it, and see what I can do as per concluding it. If that's alright with you.
It's up to Splint. You might want to be a little more up-to-date on the lore, though, but... that's a challenge in and of itself.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

It's up to Splint. You might want to be a little more up-to-date on the lore, though, but... that's a challenge in and of itself.

You're right. I accept your challenge though. Also, last night I wrote two new episodes of the adventures of Ringo McClellan. Unfortunately, school policy dictates that I cannot use flash drives at school, so you'll have to wait until this evening sometime. I'm getting a lot better at short, episodic writing. Of course, it helps that I'm writing in Everoc. Everything is violent and sporadic, plenty of room for drama, not very much for bonding with offspring. ( Yet. I hope that happens eventually, but due to the different nature of this story as compared to my usual more psychological ones it will probably be a much shorter time. I don't need to go into too much detail or it'll spoil things, but I bet at least half of you can guess. Put it in spoiler tags if you feel like saying it on this thread. )

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

I, for one, look forward to this new story with eagerness!
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 815