Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253647 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Thanks! It's the story of my dwarven avatar. "Ringo the Traveler". He ends up accidentally, and then later on purpose, travelling to many, many different dimensions. In the end he becomes a strange otherworldly creature in the Deathgate story. ( Chronologically, his settlement in the Murdermachines fort is the last thing chronologically, and his involvement in Spearbreakers is the first. ) First though, he has to wander Everoc to find it.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Uhh, twisting the forts together?

That could cause a great many sparks with quite a few people. I'm all for it, but I'd tread lightly if I were you.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

It seems harmless enough to me*, but... I dunno, it also kind of seems superfluous that he's a planeshifter. Like, the story would work just as well without it. Granted, it's only just started.

Why must all the characters be superpowered weirdos?

*E: I'm basing my assertion on the assumption that nobody will care if one single unimportant character also happened to be in Spearbreakers. That kind of stuff is easy enough to ignore.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:35:38 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

RRRAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE

nah, just kidding. It's fine by me, so long as we don't try to actively tie the forts together. As I recall, I think someone tried to do that before and AnimaRytak (or Splint) vetoed it. (Or it could've been Swordthunders, not sure.) Good post, though! :D

Also, @Lolfail about the Mary Sue thing - To be entirely fair, I couldn't ever quite figure out for certain exactly what was going on with your characters - whether it was one character with multiple personality disorder, or a large number of characters with superiority complexes. It always greatly confused me, so keep that in mind with the Mary Sue thing. They could still potentially be Mary Sues, I simply couldn't ever quite figure out what was going on. :P

@  Asea - you like Firefly too? :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:07:44 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Okay, so I know retcons are bad (even if certain "perfect" characters need to be knocked down a couple pegs, *coughcough*) and all, but sometimes opportunities show up that I have a bitch of a time ignoring. Took a few revisions and running by Talvieno a couple times, but I think I got something down for Koth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Now, you're gonna have to put the pieces together as to what has just happened to Koth. This isn't the first time a human has experienced such a trance after all.  ;)

** Reference to the Ballpoint infiltration missions; She'd have been close enough to hear the conversations but time has of course eroded her memory of what Vanya's last name really was and she 's just trying to piece it together on her own.

Now I'm sure some will cry foul of something or another, but keep in mind that I did do my thinking for this stuff and Talvieno can back me up on that. And if there's any particularly monstrous event you feel you must say something about, keep it to a PM and note that the game makes no distinction on who is a viable target for intruders.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

[Also, @Lolfail about the Mary Sue thing - To be entirely fair, I couldn't ever quite figure out for certain exactly what was going on with your characters - whether it was one character with multiple personality disorder, or a large number of characters with superiority complexes. It always greatly confused me, so keep that in mind with the Mary Sue thing. They could still potentially be Mary Sues, I simply couldn't ever quite figure out what was going on. :P

It's kinda-sorta-maybe like multiple personality disorder.

Basically, the Creator has a really hyper-dynamic personality that he tries really hard to keep under control, and new parts of it bubble and crop up at various points. This is reflected in the Aspects, which by and large are normal people until this personality thing happens, when both the Creator and the Aspect go through some sort of psychotic breakdown similar to a panic attack, at which point the Creator's personality starts to calm down again, whereas the Aspect's becomes rooted in the new part. (A superiority complex was indeed one of these.) Scindite and Sarcirent have no bearing on this; I'll explain them in a later chapter.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Speaking of continuity, how much are we tying SB II with SB again? I assume there'll be a few returning characters (other then Mr. Frog), and it appears Parasol is lending/Mr. Frog borrowed some of their tech to the dwarves (picking rail weaponry over non-perishable snack cakes), and the holistic are spreading their nasty faces farther abroad, but how much room are we leaving for new material?

Whatever the case, I hope we'll have room for another chef.

Also, thinking about it a bit, are we going to be reusing Spearbreaker's seed for the new version? Better yet, what were Spearbreaker's generation parameters, anyways?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

We won't be in the same region in SBII, and I couldn't tell you what the generation seed was anyway.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Well, it isn't too important. What I mean is, he probably won't be game-breaking for anyone and by the time he got over to MurderMachines he had a different personality, one more befitting that particular story. ( He actually successfully argued with Terry, ok? And earned his respect. And the way it's shaping up it looks like they are going to be rivals. Go check it out and see it for yourself. Or ask lolfail, he's there too. ) Here though, he's just getting started in the Dwarf Fortress multiverse and I always intended for Spearbreakers's mysterious companies ( though I'm not sure which ) to be involved in how he got started. Right now, he's still fresh to being a dwarf and he isn't directly aware of Dwarf Fortress. He just knows that he's a middle-level office worker who was tired of being stuck at the cube farm and has lots of pent-up aggression against post-modern society. One that was mysteriously transported to Spearbreakers's Everoc. Everoc is where he cuts his teeth. Good thing too, or he might not have been mentally prepared to take over a fortress of fire and blood in the Master's Willedabyss. Later, at some point not yet developed into the plot he accidentally finds/falls into a portal to another realm, and so on. Moreover, this portal has more of a "John Carter" portal type. In that he leaves a corpse behind and reforms in the next universe. ( Simply so that his whole reincarnation schema and later body-snatching has a kick-start and so that his story here can continue until his in-game dorf dies. ) Not all of the portals he uses work this way and he'll probably use many of Spearbreakers's "normal" portals throughout the story. Depending on what Talvi, Mr.Frog, and myself decide. For now, he's just wandering to the second Spearbreakers fort. To make sure we're clear though, he doesn't really tie the fortresses together, he only brings what he needs and usually loses his weapons and armour in between forts, and makes only ambiguous references and/or shout-outs to other forts he's been a part of. That way it doesn't mess around with people's canons by attempting to tie all the plots together. He's just a common character along a certain period in many forts. Does that sound okay?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

@talvi
Indeed I do. I dident like the movie as much as the show, but I like both.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Nice job with Koth's story! As always, your battle sequences are seamless, and the character is well put together. What is it about Spearbreakers that attracts such good writers?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Nice job with Koth's story! As always, your battle sequences are seamless, and the character is well put together. What is it about Spearbreakers that attracts such good writers?

All the good writers who were already here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Splint:

Wrote this a couple years ago:
WHY ARE ALL YOU GUYS SUCH GOOD WRITERS? You could turn Spearbreakers into a good movie with the amount of information you guys have been throwing off.
There is absolutely no way in this world I'd make a good director.

And Spearbreakers practically begs to have stories written about it. Think about it - you've got tons of "bad guys" who aren't really bad guys at all, but are simply on their own side - Parasol, Joseph, Ballpoint, the necromancers, and if you want you can simply write from a different viewpoint and make the good guys into bad guys. You've got a huge history, you've got constant battles just to protect caravans passing through, you've got a sci-fi war going on at the same time, you have no shortage of "good guys", and even the middling characters have enough meat on them to pass as protagonists if you wanted. You've got plenty of space for romance (generally of the epic failing variety, leading to awesome drama), and more than enough room for betrayal - everyone in Spearbreakers is basically on their own side, as it's so hard to survive that if you focus on anyone else you wind up zombie food (figuratively speaking). And when someone nears becoming zombie food, it's a perfect opportunity for a hero to emerge and save the day (or a villain to emerge and ensure their downfall). It's a writer's paradise.

Spearbreakers has good writers possibly because it attracts them. A story about a happy aboveground fort with unicorns and rainbows and no problems to speak of begs for nothing to be written about it... and Spearbreakers is the absolute opposite. Nobody in the fortress is happy. ...except perhaps Draignean.

Actually, !Story Spearbreakers! is probably really close to a civil war.
Captain, you're a good writer too. lol

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Mmhmm. Thank you! And like I said, I was drawn in by all the good writers already here. Talvieno and Mr. Frog, you're both great writers. I just don't have the patience to read the full of your stories. That's why I'm glad that people are compiling PDF's for me to read late at night when my internet time's up but I still can't sleep.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmhmm. Thank you! And like I said, I was drawn in by all the good writers already here. Talvieno and Mr. Frog, you're both great writers. I just don't have the patience to read the full of your stories. That's why I'm glad that people are compiling PDF's for me to read late at night when my internet time's up but I still can't sleep.
Heh, that sounds a lot like hinting. One moment.
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 815