Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253971 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9435 on: November 01, 2013, 07:45:07 am »

I personally think Frog would be fine becoming a vampire for the purpose of immortality, but surely if his morals hold through his vampirism, he would devise a way to 'feed' without ever having to bite anyone - perhaps synthesising the required nutrients in his lab. That way, his vampirism could never be discovered unless he bared his fangs.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9436 on: November 01, 2013, 11:46:09 am »

I agree with what Splint said. I think that part of the problem right now is that we have two Mr Frogs running around who look the same, and yet have been said to have very differing morals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: November 01, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, Spearbreakers II hasn't yet been decided, so it seems to me like everyone's taking their characters from the first fortress to the next one. if that is the case, I'll either abandon Terrahex the dwarf as a character or (actually I will either way) start up a new one under the name of Hex. RPing as a shy dwarf was fun, but I feel like he's run his course. In a fortress full of weird dwarves, I'm going to be playing as a relatively normal one. I haven't yet decided but I've been thinking of a dwarf with abnormally bad luck and a sunny disposition that would grow as a character over the course of Spearbreakers II
What do you think? Yes? No?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: November 01, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Double post :P

I had kind of hoped this had been resolved by now. I'm still making my way through the doc, and I've only just come up on Vanya.

I'm kind of pensive about how this whole fortress will work out. After all, we're not beginning with a blank slate. a lot of story elements (at least a lot more than before) are already defined. a new fortress starting off with just seven dwarves... Those seven dwarves will pretty much define the entire direction the story takes from there.

Fakeedit: my newest fortress just fell to the combined attack of four forgotten beasts during a goblin siege of over one hundred units :P I lost over 80 dwarves to the first two forgotten beasts before my militia managed to kill the one with webs, and I locked the one with deadly blood in a dwarf's bedroom.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:08:37 pm by Terrahex »

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9439 on: November 01, 2013, 08:57:22 pm »

hmm mr frog as a vampire, ive seen worse.

still as a scientist im sure he would rather make sure it doesnt have any...adverse affects on himself, maybe grab a few specimens and see if he can create a blood subsitute...or even be able to witstand adamantium as a way to keep himself safe. after doing this (storywise) he would enjoy the immortality and essentially do whatever he wishes, maybe even trying to figure out a way to destroy the spawn permamently. mostly in unconventional ways...such as appearing in fortresses and using them as pawns in his self styled war against his own creations.

also revamped my guy-figured the whole ederitchy gremlin thing wouldnt work out aqfter some thinking and came up with what i think is a good alternative and reason why he would come to the new spearbreakers...(if this has a sequel)

Name:Chaos-Breaker

Home:(any conquered dwarven fortress nearby)

Reason for leaving:home was conquered by demons for digging to deep, only reason he got away was that he hid in the magma forges, and manged to fall into hell with a small band of survivors from the adamantium tube...while the demons were busy on top they managed to wander around in hell with demons picking off the remaining dwarves one by one in !FUN! ways...untill only 3 were left. they managed to find a way out via a old volcano that was on the verge of collapsing, one of the dwarves with a pickaxe stayed beheind to collapse the moutain after finding a critical weakpoint. the other survivor was torn apart by hollistic spawn after a breif encounter. he wandered for days untill he found a caravan heading to a new fortress and with nothing to lose spontaniously decided to try his luck anew...

Personality:very closed off, but can be helpful, is prone to fits of violence when adamantium is mentioned. Also is utterly terrified of the stuff and the words "Clowns" and "Circus". is VERY paranoid on his surroundings and anything reselmbing a screech he dives into cover with anything that can be used as a weapon and will not move untill the "threat" passes...or he collapses from hunger and thirst. either way he doesnt get along well with other dwarves unless hes pretty much forced to. he does seem to prefer using a a spear and axe a times when "conscripted". Also hates being sober to the point of raiding the stores to keep drunk if he has to.

Looks-storywise:is scared and a shaven head, his beard is black and short as well as frayed from his "Adventure", wears form fitting clothes (not skin-tight but practical and easy to get rid of in case of danger).prefers to wear gauntlyes and shoulder armour to cover the demon-fire inflixed scars. which often STILL burn since that time, but ignores the pain...mostly...also if anyone mentions breaching hell he wont hold back any punches...

hopefully this dwarf meets the spearbreakers standards. also the very idea of frog as a vampire knowing only what i know from 1-230...thats either going to be !FUN! or everyone needs to run..very fast...or just knock the other guy down untill we manage to get away as far away as possible. I think i would take a Necromancer Frog then a vampire one.
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: November 01, 2013, 09:41:00 pm »

Now that is a much more Spearbreakers-y character, Chaos :)
(But look who's talking, right?  :-[)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »

heh thanks, still havent seen yours lol yet...im just on 240...and when mr frog sends V to ballpoint to get his item.
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:38 pm »

Try going into your profile settings and set Posts Per Page to 50 instead of the default 15.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:30 pm »

I don't really like the idea of killing one Mr Frog (or otherwise writing one out of the story), as it kind of feels like a half-assed attempt at fixing my dumb idea to have him cloned in the first place (the way I look at it, the mess has already been made; might as well make the best of it). I do, however, rather like the idea of having the two Frogs develop in different ways. I don't see the two being all that different in terms of core values, though, at least to begin with. Spearbreakers!Frog would likely be less antisocial on account of being forced to work with the dwarves of Spearbreakers on a daily basis. Eris!Frog would probably be even more arrogant than before, seeing as how he played a large role in felling Joseph.

I seem to remember there being a Thing where it wasn't possible to teleport to any universe at will -- one is only capable of moving between nearby/related universes. Would it be plausible for Eris!Frog to have returned to Everoc, with Silena possibly in tow? The two would probably have the same goal of fighting the Spawn at that point, but they wouldn't meet up immediately -- I see Spearbreakers!Frog as becoming an advisor and weapons engineer for the larger dwarven society (thus explaining the fancy weaponry we get in the sequel), while Eris!Frog vampirises himself (by tracking down one of the few remaining vampires in Everoc) and starts his own independent faction.

@Terrahex:

A lot of things didn't get resolved due to various unfortunate occurrences, sadly. We'll just have to be very careful not to be specific about how certain plot threads concluded when referring to events that happened between SB1 and 2.

@Reudh:

Almost-certainly. Mr Frog's a clever sumbitch. He'd definitely work out a way to feed himself without having to take blood from a living creature eventually.

I'm not going to think of anything specific for my new character yet, save that their name will be Kero if male and Anura if female.

An idea I wanted to introduce before was the existence of a "Cult of Holistic". Not sure how it'd work save that it'd be matriarchal in nature.

E: For the record, I do plan on having one or both Mr Frogs take on an alias so as to ease the confusion.

E2: Random thought... we know souls exist in this universe. It's possible that the cloned Mr Frog literally does not have a soul. Not sure what that would do, though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:02:40 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: November 02, 2013, 02:55:36 am »

Cult of Holistic reminded me of dead spaces unitology. Hopefully not as insane.

(Wait these are dwarves. Insanity x3)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: November 02, 2013, 03:15:38 pm »

Well, I wonder what I will be as. Probably some hanger-on from Stone, one that was left behind for whatever reason.
Either that or they came back.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: November 02, 2013, 03:19:42 pm »

Cult of Holistic: Insane dwarves and others who see the spawn as inherently superior for whatever reason. Seems fitting.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9447 on: November 02, 2013, 03:44:54 pm »

And I'm a felon. You, intelligent, reasonable, logical people, need me, a highly volatile drug addicted felon, around to calm you down.
Society is awesome sometimes.
Anyways. I'm not going to jail monday. This time. If I do, then it's complete bullshit, because I've done everything correctly this time. So, I shall be around to defuse you all. :) In the meantime, I shall post a story update sometime soon, after I have time to collaborate, collate, and edit.

was reading and i found this....

guys...were dwarf fortress players...

if we nerdrage then we nerdrage...

when we argue we argue...

but lets not froget...

if dwarf fortress was real life? and we all took turns running the fortress? Each and everyone of us woudl be pulled into the front of the united nations and tried for every war-crime possible...and numerous other kinds of crimes. Hell each and every one of us would probably be sentenced to existance in prison as well as either being forzen in time to do the time required, and not touch a computer again

so lets not froget....no matter what we do...were dwarf fortrewss players...once we infect somone, they pretty much become a litteral dictator in their own sense, that and were creating abomination's that should not ever have been seen or even plantyed on existancew all for the sake of !FUN!.

this is why we all love doing this...and if this were a job, every damn one of us would be laughing in a massive fricken mansion in the middle of the ocean on our own private island run by automation machines with computers that can take the FPS death crawl...before we decide to do a pointless megaproject that ends up killing the fort or making a tamtrum spiral.

am i right folks?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: November 02, 2013, 04:08:46 pm »

You reminded me that I should read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams, someday.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: November 02, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »

Havent read that one. Now, the long dark teatime of the soul, that is a good one.

As for the war-crime thing, some of us try to be nice.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 815