Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2228217 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9885 on: February 13, 2014, 06:29:42 pm »

Is it possible make the syndrome only effect those with the CAN_LEARN tag? And if so, would it make it impossible to bring zombies back to life since I believe they no longer have that tag... but the wiki doesn't confirm nor prove untrue that detail.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9886 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »

Is it possible make the syndrome only effect those with the CAN_LEARN tag? And if so, would it make it impossible to bring zombies back to life since I believe they no longer have that tag... but the wiki doesn't confirm nor prove untrue that detail.
The interaction examples don't say they remove CAN_LEARN, but it would be possible to limit the reaction to such creatures. So yes to one, no to two. Though I honestly don't trust the resurrection effect at all, really. Mostly just cause the target is loyal to their former faction and it won't give you the ability to limit the interaction to members of your faction.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

The interaction examples don't say they remove CAN_LEARN, but it would be possible to limit the reaction to such creatures. So yes to one, no to two. Though I honestly don't trust the resurrection effect at all, really. Mostly just cause the target is loyal to their former faction and it won't give you the ability to limit the interaction to members of your faction.

I kind of prefer the fact that it will resurrect anyone, though. Makes it not quite as hax.

That and the fact that there's nothing stopping a headless, limbless corpse from being resurrected, after which it will languish in your hospital for all eternity.

E: I should point out that I am like 75% sure it made my game crash, though, so the discussion is probably pretty much moot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:30:09 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:48 am »

I do believe I just came up with the most fucktarded way to put Jesters of Armok in-game. Barring certain always fatal instances like crushed, cast, bisected, or frozen, Jesters serve as a universal immortal caste for all non-spawn (since they're abominations and despise all Armok creates and ruin all his fun and amusement) races. They don't need to eat or drink (otherwise they'd die in our fucking hospitals,) can't be killed under normal situations (as an abstract of their respawn ability,) and once every 4 years perform a transformation interaction that restores them to to full working order on top of learning all military skills faster, no debuffs to other skills, and having insane stats.

Seems great right? Until You realize one bad fight and suddenly Sir Jester McChampion is missing his arm, all his teeth, a whole leg, has his guts hanging out, his shredded neck is broken, he's been pincushioned into oblivion and back, suffered nerve damage all over, possibly missing his head and a foot came off rendering him to Sir Jester McPushalot, requiring he or she be removed from battle until they can be restored which could be as long as a whole 4 years away. This is also a double edged sword as there may be jesters mixed into the enemy ranks. This would mean that only other Jesters, the mightiest of veterans, or engineered traps could truly put them down for gameplay, and those would have to be either sword, axe, or discdwarves because they'd be the only ones able to bisect them.

I dunno, just woke up properly and the idea sprang to mind. I know it's bad.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:15 am »

I do believe I just came up with the most fucktarded way to put Jesters of Armok in-game. Barring certain always fatal instances like crushed, cast, bisected, or frozen, Jesters serve as a universal immortal caste for all non-spawn (since they're abominations and despise all Armok creates and ruin all his fun and amusement) races. They don't need to eat or drink (otherwise they'd die in our fucking hospitals,) can't be killed under normal situations (as an abstract of their respawn ability,) and once every 4 years perform a transformation interaction that restores them to to full working order on top of learning all military skills faster, no debuffs to other skills, and having insane stats.

Seems great right? Until You realize one bad fight and suddenly Sir Jester McChampion is missing his arm, all his teeth, a whole leg, has his guts hanging out, his shredded neck is broken, he's been pincushioned into oblivion and back, suffered nerve damage all over, possibly missing his head and a foot came off rendering him to Sir Jester McPushalot, requiring he or she be removed from battle until they can be restored which could be as long as a whole 4 years away. This is also a double edged sword as there may be jesters mixed into the enemy ranks. This would mean that only other Jesters, the mightiest of veterans, or engineered traps could truly put them down for gameplay, and those would have to be either sword, axe, or discdwarves because they'd be the only ones able to bisect them.

That is more twisted than TwitchPlaysPokemon, and I love it.
If I had any artistic or animating skill, I would draw/animate the scene going through my head right now.

Maybe I'll make a fan theme for the Jesters... I'm thinking church organs, low bells, a heavy, grungy lead guitar and a vibrant bass.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:24 am »

I have a drawing that may tie into spearbreakers, but is mostly just armor.
If I get it in it will hopefully be tomorrow.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:13 am »

If I had any artistic or animating skill, I would draw/animate the scene going through my head right now.

Maybe I'll make a fan theme for the Jesters... I'm thinking church organs, low bells, a heavy, grungy lead guitar and a vibrant bass.

Now that I'm more awake thanks to caffeine, I have re-read just how hilariously unsettling a sight this would be, even if it's all gameplay and story segregation. And to have music inspired by anything this fort has produced would be easily among the highest of honors.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:41 am »

Now that I'm more awake thanks to caffeine, I have re-read just how hilariously unsettling a sight this would be, even if it's all gameplay and story segregation. And to have music inspired by anything this fort has produced would be easily among the highest of honors.

Wait, music would be welcomed? Now I need to dig up my old WIPs for this fort...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:36 am »

Why in the hell wouldn't it be? We've had all manner of other contributions short of a friggen painting and a separate game based on aspects of it.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:29 pm »

Ok, so I found all my old WIPs for this fortress... and promptly expunged them. God, they were horrid, even by my standards.

But I have managed to put some time into a piece that begins with a bloody cataclysm (slight over-exaggeration) before calming abruptly, followed by a loose remix of part of the Fort Mode music.

It's not very long, probably not too brilliant, but I think it's decent. And hey, how else will I learn?

It's currently rendering in the background; I'll upload it to YouTube shortly.

Edit: Here it is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:15:11 am by Lolfail0009 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:43 am »

Annnd.... Inbound art that may or may not be connected with SpearBreakers!

Because, yah, its just armor!
Spoiler: Gonna be here, someday (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

Edit: Here it is.

I approve of this.

Annnd.... Inbound art that may or may not be connected with SpearBreakers!

Because, yah, its just armor!
Spoiler: Gonna be here, someday (click to show/hide)

Jeeze, if those are Stone Inc. troops' gear I don't think I'd want them upset with me. The eye piece has a strangely unsettling effect to me.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »

I was sortof thinking that it was a older variant of there armor.
The newer ones probably have something over the eyes so you cant just shoot them there...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:32 am »

I was sortof thinking that it was a older variant of there armor.
The newer ones probably have something over the eyes so you cant just shoot them there...

My first thought was 'but eyes are a tiny target, how is anyone supposed to shoot them there anyways?'

My second thought was 'even if the impact from a bullet was diffused by a helmet, the sheer force would probably do terrible things to your neck anyway'.

My third thought was 'I don't actually know anything about this subject and pretending such on this forum has historically lead to flamewars, so whatever'.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:19:24 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:59 am »

My first thought was 'but eyes are a tiny target, how is anyone supposed to shoot them there anyways?'

Well, knowing dwarf fortress, dwarven luck dictates someone will hit them in the eye eventually.

My second thought was 'even if the impact from a bullet was diffused by a helmet, the sheer force would probably do terrible things to your neck anyway'.

Probably, or at least result in a pretty bad concussion or some serious whiplash.

Yes, I answered those for fun :P
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 815