Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2228933 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9690 on: December 13, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »

I'm honestly surprised I had to suggest it. We have a bunch of creative people involved in this, so I was expecting a lot more... y'know... creativity. Ideas. That sort of thing.

Additionally, a part of me sort of wants to write proper conclusions to some of the storylines, because it seems awful to leave so many plot threads hanging after so much went into developing them. The three I'd like to clear up are:

-- The conclusion to Vanya's tale

-- Joseph's demise, and the fate of the original Mr Frog and Silena (because I think it'd be interesting to see which direction she could be taken in the sequel)

-- The fate of Spearbreakers in general

We already have a rough idea of how all three of these go, but if we could develop these more so I or someone else could give them proper writeups of some sort it'd be great.
For the first two... I could start back working on it all, I suppose. I've just been really busy for a while, and how much free time I had to devote to each chapter is a major obstacle (I spent roughly 6-9 hours per chapter, and for the most part it had to be uninterrupted). I have everything in notes still, but notes aren't very fun to read, I think - I sent them to Splint and he couldn't make heads or tails of them, for instance. =P Modeling is a bit easier because I can work for a few minutes, get up, and when I come back it's not like I have to get into the feel of it again, like I have to with writing.

I'm also only about 65% or so through Vanya's full story. (Not an arbitrary number, an actual rough estimate.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:32:33 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9691 on: December 13, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »

Personally, I like to think that Spearbreakers didn't get abandoned at all. What I imagined was that, after the Battle for Spearbreakers, pretty much every major power on the planet had its strength broken. The spawn were temporarily pushed back, Parasol and Ballpoint could no longer justify their continued presence and took everything they owned that wasn't bolted down or breathing and the necromancers' armies were wiped of the face of the planet. The only military power left was Spearbreakers, which was not at all equipped to handle the number of refugees that sought shelter there. Spearbreakers expanded into a refugee city which then expanded into a real city. Eventually Spearbreakers became the new de facto capital seeing as it was the only city left standing.

I like the idea of leaving Spearbreakers alive, in the spirit of the new update and being able to retire fortresses.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: December 13, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »

"Landing is just crashing slow enough that you don't break anything."

Overseeing is just fucking up well enough that you don't break anything most things some things the one thing that you were really proud of.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:55 pm »

Personally, I like to think that Spearbreakers didn't get abandoned at all. What I imagined was that, after the Battle for Spearbreakers, pretty much every major power on the planet had its strength broken. The spawn were temporarily pushed back, Parasol and Ballpoint could no longer justify their continued presence and took everything they owned that wasn't bolted down or breathing and the necromancers' armies were wiped of the face of the planet. The only military power left was Spearbreakers, which was not at all equipped to handle the number of refugees that sought shelter there. Spearbreakers expanded into a refugee city which then expanded into a real city. Eventually Spearbreakers became the new de facto capital seeing as it was the only city left standing.

I like the idea of leaving Spearbreakers alive, in the spirit of the new update and being able to retire fortresses.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The problem with alot of that being quite simply that The Battle of Spearbreakers was just that. It wasn't a continent spanning battle unless megaportals are taken into consideration, meaning following said fight, the fortress was still just a fortress like any other. The old capital was still standing (more or less anyway, based on what was dug out of legends mode,) The Copper Realm was still pissed off at it and siccing mercs on the place left and right, and the spawn simply kept attacking everything, their numbers only just kept in check by the constant fighting.

And as all fortresses must, either internal or external forces would have eventually made it cave in on itself like a neutron star, but probably not until time did the one thing that hordes of spawn biting and clawing at Fischer's head couldn't. I mean sure, there would have been other champions to follow, but I doubt they'd be able to hold a candle to her badassery. And even the fort's best can only do so much against overwhelming numbers hitting them with concentrated force all at once, and said concentrated force would have still probably gotten its shit slapped in the process. And even through all the horror and the now certain decline, the populous managed to avoid a tantrum spiral that would have surely left no survivors.

And of course there's still the fact that unlike many places, the fort did survive in spirit with those who survived packing up and moving on (I like to think it was probably 20%~ that survived and spread the stories that grew to the legends many will know by the time of SBII.) Who knows? Perhaps SBII will be founding by those looking to surpass the might of their ancestors in the old legends...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: December 14, 2013, 02:45:02 am »

@Talvi:

You could try sending me the notes. I can't promise I'll be able to remain true to your vision, but I really want to wrap some of this stuff up no matter what has to be done to do it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: December 14, 2013, 01:57:29 pm »

There's also the possibility that no one really knows what happened to Spearbreakers. Many belive that Spearbreakers fell soon after the battle, while others maintain that Spearbreakers survived and is now a haven, awaiting all displaced dwarves. Most who attempt to travel to Spearbreakers die on their journey, on the blood plains that now host much worse than the undead. Respectful Scythod sometimes bring the bodies back from the plains with their caravans. Those who reach the site of Spearbreakers never return. The hopeful say that those adventures found salvation and utopia at Spearbreakers. The xenophobic say that we don't find their bodies because the scythod ate them but no one knows for sure. Perhaps one day, the world will know the fate of Spearbreakers.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: December 14, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »

There's also the possibility that no one really knows what happened to Spearbreakers. Many belive that Spearbreakers fell soon after the battle, while others maintain that Spearbreakers survived and is now a haven, awaiting all displaced dwarves. Most who attempt to travel to Spearbreakers die on their journey, on the blood plains that now host much worse than the undead. Respectful Scythod sometimes bring the bodies back from the plains with their caravans. Those who reach the site of Spearbreakers never return. The hopeful say that those adventures found salvation and utopia at Spearbreakers. The xenophobic say that we don't find their bodies because the scythod ate them but no one knows for sure. Perhaps one day, the world will know the fate of Spearbreakers.

Or perhaps we do know, but we have hidden that horrible truth from our hearts and minds.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: December 14, 2013, 06:30:50 pm »

With the level of technology in this world, a worldwide memory repression is not entirely unreasonable.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: December 14, 2013, 06:41:17 pm »

Viva la SBII plot device?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: December 15, 2013, 12:46:00 am »

But that's really unsatisfying to read about. Which is something I'd rather not happen to the thread.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:44 am »

But that's really unsatisfying to read about. Which is something I'd rather not happen to the thread.

Not knowing can be interesting. I'm thinking of the Doctor Who episode "Utopia" where the question of utopia is a plot point. I think what's not interesting is never finding out whether or not utopia exists or Spearbreakers survived. But that's mostly irrelevant. I agree that we should decide definitively what happens to Spearbreakers. Perhaps we need a poll?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: December 16, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »

Not knowing can be interesting. I'm thinking of the Doctor Who episode "Utopia" where the question of utopia is a plot point. I think what's not interesting is never finding out whether or not utopia exists or Spearbreakers survived. But that's mostly irrelevant. I agree that we should decide definitively what happens to Spearbreakers. Perhaps we need a poll?

Actually, directly after in "The Sound Of Drums" they discover that Utopia does exist, but it's cold, dark and hellish.
Which suits Spearbreakers just fine, if the Spawn had won.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »

Like I said, what's uninteresting is not finding out.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:57 am »

Apologies for double post.

How many recurring characters does this for have? Not counting enemies or characters that have never visited the fort. Off the top of my head I can think of: Talvi, Mr Frog, Splint, Rose, Terrahex, Hans, Urist and Vanya. Who am I missing?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: December 19, 2013, 01:55:55 am »

Apologies for double post.

How many recurring characters does this for have? Not counting enemies or characters that have never visited the fort. Off the top of my head I can think of: Talvi, Mr Frog, Splint, Rose, Terrahex, Hans, Urist and Vanya. Who am I missing?

Lots more than that.

Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 815