Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2253791 times)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is too good to be true. We're gonna get a siege of 80 Spawn mounted on necromancers or something in a few months, I just know it.

We're gonna get a siege of 80 Spawn mounted on necromancers

siege of 80 Spawn mounted on necromancers

80 Spawn mounted on necromancers

Spawn mounted on necromancers

found this, this image in my mind is so wrong right now.

(dies laughing)

(raises from the dead)

sorry for another post...but this was to good to NOT leave alone....i love this madhouse...
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9451 on: November 02, 2013, 05:00:11 pm »

Responding to some posts I should have responded to yesterday but didn't because yesterday was an unholy clusterfuck...

@Chaos:

That's a lot better, save for one huge flaw: Volcanoes in DF don't reach all the way down into Hell. Still, if you just get rid of the part where he falls into Hell, the whole thing works pretty well.

@Lolfail:

(But look who's talking, right?  :-[)

Ehh, don't feel too bad about it. I don't really want to explicitly discourage anyone from going off the beaten path, because if I hadn't had the balls to introduce Ballpoint and the other sci-fi stuff half the setting as we know it wouldn't exist.

I see it as a form of risk vs. reward. If a random metalsmith is written badly, no big deal. If a eldritch abomination from the void or multidimensional megacorporation or ludicrously-overimportant Mad Scientist is written badly, a considerable amount of damage can be done to the setting and/or plot.

E: Found this gem:

@Mr Frog: You're dwarf has more different characterizations than there are actual characters in the fortress.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:06:23 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9452 on: November 02, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »

Could I be pointed at where the first mention of ballpoint and the other faction (what was it called?) on the thread?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: November 02, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

Could I be pointed at where the first mention of ballpoint and the other faction (what was it called?) on the thread?
Parasol... I believe it is a joke on Resident Evil... I always wondered if name "Ballpoint" is meant to be a joke as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:14:56 pm by Tarqiup Inua »
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: November 02, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »

Responding to some posts I should have responded to yesterday but didn't because yesterday was an unholy clusterfuck...

@Chaos:

That's a lot better, save for one huge flaw: Volcanoes in DF don't reach all the way down into Hell. Still, if you just get rid of the part where he falls into Hell, the whole thing works pretty well.

@Lolfail:

(But look who's talking, right?  :-[)

Ehh, don't feel too bad about it. I don't really want to explicitly discourage anyone from going off the beaten path, because if I hadn't had the balls to introduce Ballpoint and the other sci-fi stuff half the setting as we know it wouldn't exist.

I see it as a form of risk vs. reward. If a random metalsmith is written badly, no big deal. If a eldritch abomination from the void or multidimensional megacorporation or ludicrously-overimportant Mad Scientist is written badly, a considerable amount of damage can be done to the setting and/or plot.

E: Found this gem:

@Mr Frog: You're dwarf has more different characterizations than there are actual characters in the fortress.

i read headshoots, at one time a demon came out of the volcano...or was it boatmurdered? anyway point is a demon came out of the volcano from the lavaflow...i think its reasonable that the volcano had a connection to hell for some reason...maybe the magma managed to melt the rock into hell after millions of year of melting the adamantium bit by bit...on ly reason the demons didnt come out was because of the flow itself blocking them untill hell was opened...then the "fresh" air attracted them by the droves. still want my dwarf to have a DAMN good reason to fear hell...and its mostly tied in with his burned arms...demons especally the higher ones tend to enjoy playing with mortals when they can get their claws onto them...personally was hoping to add that bit into my dwarfs story when we get spearbreakers 2 up off the ground...i might or might not be able to try out as overseer

(limited experiance playing the game, and still having a bit of trouble making sure everything works like ironhand and dwarf therapist...plus job corps which is a trade school...limited playing options when i come home every 2-3 weeks you see. probably will get out by april or may next year!)

still if you guys get ideas in your heads that invole chaos please let me know frist. ive had awhile to think up of his character. still reading this frist though-having !FUN! with laughing myself to near death by the hellfest !FUN! you guys come up with, especally the stories...still found telv's V-girl...makes me pity her...then again whos to say cloning isnt an option? after all somtimes clones come with memories of past events their former selves do, and becuase maybe because of some egentic instability or the nervous system isnt just "right"...maybe their just developing in a totally diffrent way.

anyway was hoping people would at leats be okayed with falling into hell, then again maybe a compromise of falling into a magma tube with a couple of survivors and then being on the run from demons? *a tube close enough to have weakened adantium patchers showing perhapes?* would explain the volcano collapsing. after all ive BEEN in a hawaii volcano tube once, those are fucking dark and dangerous, numerous drops, cooled mahma spikes, and heck twisting and winding paths cna lead to being lost for weeks or just starving/dehydrating.

anyway glad to see my chars making it to spearbreaker standards...especally the best part of the story bit beheind it.

(lets face it frog, without you this would be just another succession fort, you guys made spearbreakers into the abyyssal hell void...essentially you laugh in the face of the void, and beat monsters down or create them for your sick amusements...i totally want in on this shit!)
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: November 02, 2013, 08:41:05 pm »

@Chaosmaker:

I think you need to learn to use ellipses to join your thoughts less.

The demon you're thinking of was a fire imp, which made appearances in Boatmurdered and Headshoots (in undead form). They live in magma normally, and are never found in hell.

I suppose your new explanation works, although I'm not sure how a visible adamantine spire would be relevant (unless the dwarves were trying to mine from it).

@Tarqiup:

"Ballpoint" came about from a random joke Mitchewawa made about how the founder of the company used an enormous quantity of lost pens to fund the company in the beginning.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:54:17 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: November 02, 2013, 09:55:43 pm »

@Chaosmaker:

The demon you're thinking of was a fire imp, which made appearances in Boatmurdered and Headshoots (in undead form). They live in magma normally, and are never found in hell.

I remember Deathgate had a problem with demons flying up through their volcano. But they were coming in through a hole in an abandoned part of the fort that lead to the magma sea, allowing them to fly up the volcano pipe, not directly from hell itself. It took several turns before they could finally seal it off.

Maybe ChaosMaker was thinking of that?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »

Pretty sure one can define the volume of a type of ammo in the raws. The mass of a specific piece of ammo is then calculated by multiplying the ammo's volume by the density of the material it's produced from.

E: Also, @TalonisWolf: Broken link alert on your avatar. PM me if you need help with that stuff.

...I was using that link the other day and it connected me to Deathgate...

2% power, so will fix once I get chance to charge. Gracias.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: November 02, 2013, 11:56:32 pm »

huh, yeah i was thinking of that, sorry.

Still kinda new to the whole forum writing thing, as well as playing dwarf fortress, kinda lurked a bit before getting onto this. plus it was boatmurdered and headshoots that made me want to start playing dwarf fortress so im kinda attacthed to them.

still thought it was like when that flying demon got through the volcano.

And to answer you Mr Frog i would say that they were mining around a large cluster of adamantium, the fort was un/lucky to be where it was, then again adamantium when dug is a bad idea when a very unprepared for dug in. lets just say that moving through lava tubes and being chased by a large demon of fire and rock, is generally a bad thing to have happened. (also helps explain Chaos's arms, will get into more of the story beheind his scars)

Also would anyone mind if i add a story idea for Chaos's scarred arms? Just pm me if i can, i promise to not god-mode it. mostly itll be a hell of a hinderance, kinda like having to deal with a flooding issue of the fortress, but the silver linning is that you can start your indoor tree farms and dont have to waste him muddying the floors in the areas you want to farm anymore.

just hope spearbreakers 2 starts soon if everyone agrees on it.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:09 am »

Two questions.

1. Are the SBII mod RAWs finalised?
2. Are they available to the general public?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: November 03, 2013, 05:35:21 am »

No they aren't finalized but what's finished is available on DFFD.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »

cool, here to you guys make dwarf fortress even more dwarfy in the future!

wonder if we can make catapults shoot mugs...sorta like a mug artillary? with pyshics on our side a mug shot in the air a couple hundred feet could put a hole into someones head if its shot in the air high enough! and with a scattershot effect...hehe at least 1 of the bad-guys will be having a bad mug day!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: November 03, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »

A mug-based artillery system is indeed possible thanks to DF Hack.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: November 03, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

Loading mugs into minecarts and dumping mugs on the lowered drawbridges should work, too...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: November 03, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »

Aha, dwarven shotgun time?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 815