Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2228074 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »

Someone should note all the levers.

But... that would mean that the overseer twenty years from now wouldn't have to trial and error his way through the endless sea of levers that will link to the 50+ entrances!

That's not the Spearbreaker way!
Agreed. Completely. This is worse than a hell-hole, this is a chaos-hole.

Splint, I disconnected the pitchblende lever to put a lever in a safer, more frequently-accessed location: The dining hall. However, as Mr Frog disconnected that, there's no telling what does what now.

Mr Frog, the coat of arms is proudly displayed on page one, and you got the motto perfectly. lol   Half the people who glanced into this thread uttered those exact words (different language) in their first post. (okay, maybe less than that, but it was recurrent enough to merit notice.)

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »

nice, putting holy shit in english would have been boring...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:14 pm »

@Talvi:
There's a new lever in the dining hall operating the bridge in Entrance #2. AFAIK the bridge in Entrance #1 is now permanently out of order unless some future Overseer decides to link it up again.

@bombzero:
I don't know Latin, so I just hoped that French would be close enough :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2012, 07:42:30 pm »

if i remember correctly, holy shit sounds better in french anyways.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 09, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »

Are there any plans on putting in a ballista gauntlet somewhere? It might be helpful against the Spawn -- they have no ranged attack capability, so they'd be pretty helpless. Plus, they don't have clothing for padding, so even a bare wooden bolt might be somewhat effective (haven't played much with ballistas in 31.xx or 34.xx, though). Thinning the Spawn's ranks before they can get into biting range is crucial.

Micromanaging will be necessary to make sure the bolts aren't made of featherwood, of course :p

I think the minimum range for dwarves not to be scared is around 30 tiles.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »

Spring is complete. I'm going to work on the writeup tonight (and tomorrow probably). It's been an interesting spring.

The conclusion of spring was dominated by a single event...

What happens when you cross 21 goblins, 4 mountain barbarians, and two necromancers with an overseer who refuses to yield the surface?

The bloodiest battle in the history of Spearbreakers.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:22 pm »

We can recover, though, right? :-\ How's our military doing?
I'm sure the necromancers were pleased by the amount of corpses left lying around outside :p

I've come up with a plan for a ballista gauntlet:
Code: [Select]
W Wall
. Floor
# Fortification
v Downwards slope
^ Upwards slope

+ Door
>, < Stairs
= Bolt Stockpile

%%\
}-> Ballista
%%/

f Stairs connecting to inside of fortress
x Stairs connecting to entance hall

Upper floor:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvW
Wv#######..............................#########################vW
Wv#..%%\#..............................#x#...#...#...#...#...#x#vW
Wv#..}->#..............................#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#vW
Wv#>.%%/#..............................#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#vW
Wv#..%%\#..............................#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#vW
Wv#..}->#..............................#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#vW
Wv#..%%/#..............................#...#...#...#...#...#...#vW
Wv#######..............................#########################vW
WvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvW

On the left is the ballista box; on the right is a convoluted pathway which invaders are to be diverted through.
In between is a 30-tile expanse of open space, to prevent the ballistadwarves from getting spooked.
Since there are no solid walls inside the structure, any bolts that are fired will continue to travel until they hit the outer wall,
after which they will fall to the level below where they can be recovered.

Lower floor:

W^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^W
W^WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW^W
W^W W=============================W                            W^W
W^WWW=============================W                            W^W
W^+<.=============================W                            W^W
W^W.W=============================W                            W^W
W^W.W=============================W                            W^W
W^WfW=============================W                            W^W
W^WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW^W
W^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^W

To the right is a bolt stockpile. The ballistas can be accessed through the nearby stairs.
The 'f' represents a stairway that gives direct access to the inside of the fortress.
The door can be locked to prevent dwarves from running to retrieve bolts while the ballistas are still firing.

I'm too lazy to describe exactly how to go about building it, though.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:49 pm »

We can recover, though, right? :-\ How's our military doing?
I'm sure the necromancers were pleased by the amount of corpses left lying around outside :p

We can recover. All in all the battle went many times better than I had feared. Still, there were losses.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:42 pm »

Would now be a good time to mention that I accidentally deleted the [NOT_LIVING] tag from the Spawn at some point?

Cremate the remains. That is all.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 10, 2012, 02:26:25 am »

Would now be a good time to mention that I accidentally deleted the [NOT_LIVING] tag from the Spawn at some point?

Cremate the remains. That is all.

uh huh, im so going to believe that...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 10, 2012, 02:57:45 am »

I have no idea when I did it, but I didn't notice until a few days after the game started :-\ I didn't mention it because it was already pretty clear by that point that there aren't any reanimation effects on the region.

If I'd known that Splint had apparently embarked within range of a necrotower, I would have warned y'all right away :-\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:16 am »

1. Damn it Frog, you beat me to the punch.
2. I didn't even notice the necro tower on embark, so.... Thats was kinda my bad....
3. This place is going to go right down the shitter in very short order, so I do infact have a request that all dead invaders be dumped into magma disposal partially to aleviate FPS problems. Thier junk left behind is for the current overseer to do with.

I now feel inadaquate at making symbols. And it doesn't help that I don't have a scanner D:<

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:09 am »

necromancers... lovely... well, that makes me feel awesome. Yep, we're going to die. Let's see how long we can hold out. lol

Mr Frog - just a thought - what if you arranged the passages so that they were perpendicular to the line of fire from the ballistae? You would effectively halve the number of ballistae required to cover all points the spawn would be, in addition to allowing you to hit multiple targets (if I recall correctly, ballista bolts travel through the first 3 or 4 enemy units hit).
Also, I liked it better when it sounded like you neglected to tell everybody about the missing tag on purpose. :P But yeah... cremate the remains...

Splint - I don't have a scanner either. The cavy picture was a photograph of a backlit sheet of paper, cropped, with the contrast increased. The paper thickness was what gave it that stone-like texture.

Can't wait to read the write-up about the battle, Draignean. :) Curious, though - how are you planning on putting out the updates? All at once, per-season, or...?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »

Can't wait to read the write-up about the battle, Draignean. :) Curious, though - how are you planning on putting out the updates? All at once, per-season, or...?

Per season, and do bear in mind it has been a LOOONG time since the last time I did a succession (You still had to pour water on soil to get plants, clay was useless, and the caverns were covered in plain mud), so my writeup skills are a lot rusty.

necromancers... lovely... well, that makes me feel awesome. Yep, we're going to die. Let's see how long we can hold out. lol

We can survive! We still have more dwarves than my turn started with and the entrance is still open, so migrants can still come. 
It would, however, be quite a lot easier to survive should danger rooms be allowed. Most of the dwarves that got killed were the raw recruits that I signed in from the migrant wave.
---

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 10, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »

Per season, and do bear in mind it has been a LOOONG time since the last time I did a succession (You still had to pour water on soil to get plants, clay was useless, and the caverns were covered in plain mud), so my writeup skills are a lot rusty.
I'm sure it'll be great, regardless of how long it's been. Once a season should be good, yeah.

We can survive! We still have more dwarves than my turn started with and the entrance is still open, so migrants can still come. 
It would, however, be quite a lot easier to survive should danger rooms be allowed. Most of the dwarves that got killed were the raw recruits that I signed in from the migrant wave.
Ahh, true... +1 to you for keeping control of the surface during the necro/goblin battle, but if spawn show up...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Really, I would strongly suggest you put the place on total lockdown. =P Especially if necromancers show up at the same time. (oh, and I'm sure you've started working on it, but archers in the tower would be an awesome way to deal with necromancer threats.)

Did Ashsaber get redwarfed yet?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 815