Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2254570 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3720 on: July 31, 2012, 02:21:55 am »

Holy crap, seriously? O_o;

Um... Well, half people wouldn't work in a high tech low magic world anyways, as it requires some manner of outside help. Worlds with magic have The Power of Love Trumps All. Worlds like Ballpoint's would be more Genetic Engineering is a Crap Shoot, and who knows how many tries it would take to get it right? So, I'll probably figure out what she is later...

EDIT: I really must thank TV Tropes for making my life easier. Things i would take large amounts of time trying to describe can now be Troped, and damn near everyone gets it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:32:14 am by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:48 am »

If we go with relative, she'd be a (from what I can tell) above average in height gnome. Expieriment, a below average in height human. Just flip a coin and pick (cause those two seem to be the most accepted/acceptable for the purposes here.)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: July 31, 2012, 02:34:40 am »

Mr Frog would experiment on his own relatives? Um... Wow... Even for him... That's dark...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:09 am »

In this case if it wouldn't be lethal or could be stopped before getting to that point, I'd say he would. In this case it seems it was a largly benign expieriment since no-one was killed by the sound of things.

Alternativly, since he doesn't (seem to) know the vast majority of his family very well, it could simply be he didn't know.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:24 am »

I need time to think about it, and awesome  music to think to... I'm not gonna decide until I'm ready.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: July 31, 2012, 02:45:24 am »

@X:

I don't like your deliberate use of tropes. And that's the most I'll say on the matter.

Frog probably would experiment on his relatives. Until very recently, nothing was really sacred to him. I would like to step away from him being related, though, as I don't think it's really necessary.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:15 am »

I just use them as descriptors to save time typing on this teeny keyboard, with this teeny screen...

Being related is stepped away from, but i'm still gonna think on what she is. Now, it's four am, and i need to sleep. Night, guys.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: July 31, 2012, 09:39:53 am »

Naw, why write that way unless you enjoyed doing so?

Because it is more entertaining that way. Half the fun in writing is wondering what other people were thinking when they read it. At least for me it is. :P
Like Hanslanda said, it's for other people's entertainment. :P That's part of why I like feedback... I like to know what people think of it, or what their thoughts are. Talvi's supposed to be hilariously redneck, laughably stupid, and at the same time she's supposed to think she's as intelligent as anyone else. It's not the easiest combination to write about, but people seem to like her character.

The real reason I've stopped writing Talvi's entries is because I'm too wrapped up in the Vanya story... If you'd like to see more of Talvi, I could write some of that instead. :P

@Mr Frog: Xahnel is just using the tropes to describe things, and doing a damn fine job of it, too, I might add. It's like saying "chagrin" instead of "that unhappy, stressed-out feeling you get that really stinks, and usually happens after you've failed at what you've been trying to do, or you were humiliated by somebody".
It just makes more sense. :P In a way it almost makes me wish I was more into TVTropes, as I see how useful they can be now... (though I recently edited the tvtropes Spearbreakers pages to add a few more, after losing myself in there for a few hours. I blame you guys. :P)

Spent the morning replying to PMs - I'll read the more recent posts when I get a chance, and get them put up.

@Splint: When's the next update coming?

edit: btw, I change my vote from Iron to Gold. Should be possible if you smelt the gold into bars first.
edit2: thanks for the feedback, Splint, Xahnel. :) Glad you guys like it.

On an unrelated note - just while it's on my mind again - we have a LOT fewer nominated posts than we do quotes... Anybody want to help remedy that, or should we just leave it as it is? I was using the decorations to spotlight our best work, to try to get passersby hooked. They're more likely to click on a decorated post than an undecorated one, in my opinion.
If it's the general consensus, I could remove the decorations altogether, but I'm kind of against that, largely for the reason stated above...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:57:38 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:16 pm »

I need a breather from the succession, and I have work I lazed about doing. Currently mid spawn ambush with the spikewalk in overdrive. So long as none of the civivies who were working on our masterwork "fuck you" fist try to regain entry through there no-one has to die! Hell, Hakah, one of the Axelords, got off lucky when he got bit and just got a nasty bruise and a broken arm.

I kid you not, his idea of a minor injury is a potentially crippling, and in our hospital's habits, fatal injury.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:15 pm »

Hakah is lucky. Very lucky.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: July 31, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »

It was made awesome by the fact his response to having his arm broken, getting his face chewed on and losing his favorite steel axe was to use his spoilerite one to cut the offending spawn in half.

Thankfully the bite only resulted in nasty bruisng.

E: for a missing detail.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: July 31, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »

@Talvi, X:

I guess I'm just used to TVTropes's userbase throwing tropes around as though they're functional prefabricated plot elements and that all one needs to make a good story is string a bunch of tropes together (for the record, I very firmly believe that this is not the case; if you try to write a story like that, it'll just dissolve into a contrived mess where things happen just to fit tropes and nothing makes sense) :( I got a little rabid, I admit.

So, for future reference, using tropes as descriptors: Mr Frog tolerates (and if I renege on this, feel free to bite back); trying to construct a functioning plot out of tropes: Mr Frog bites. But for your own good. (Unless it's a genre satire, in which case the point is to criticize other works, and skewering careless use of tropes is often part of that.) And like I said, I'm trying to stop being such a wet blanket -- because I honestly doubt anyone but me is enjoying it -- so I'll probably just silently facepalm.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: July 31, 2012, 02:53:38 pm »

I don't write stories for the tropes, Mr Frog. I don't know enough tropes to even attempt that, plus it would be distastefully lazy on my part, and if there is one thing i will not be lazy about, it's my writing and art.

There is a very good reason "instant awesome, just add tropes" isn't a thing.

EDIT: Splint, is there a way to zigzag the spike walk? That way there is more spike covered walk way to traverse?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:57:56 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:05 pm »

i just find the examples funny for the tropes (some of them prompted me to look shit up.)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »

@X:

I understand that and apologize for implying that you did. I was the one with a problem, not you.

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 815