Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hollow mountain?  (Read 869 times)

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
Hollow mountain?
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

I've seen people do this kind of thing as a challenge of sorts - I'm curious if hollowing out (nearly) entire levels can be an effective strategy for building a productive fort?

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow mountain?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

As long as areas such as sleeping quarters, dinning rooms and offices are enclosed there's no big problems with doing this, aside from aesthetics and possibly organization. If the cave-in code gets improved at some point I think it would make it impossible to hollow out whole levels without using a lot of supports.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

Quarters don't need to be enclosed; they just make it easier to exactly constrain a room to the shape you want. You can make "rooms" out in the open out of beds, chairs, and tables; they'll just all be square. Usually the first bedrooms I make in a fort are scattered throughout my workshops and stockpiles, as I haven't gotten around to making the living area yet. Works just fine.

The biggest problem I could see you having with such a design is figuring out what to do with all that space.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

Stone stockpile?   :D
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"