Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2 sieges in a row? Really?  (Read 4714 times)

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: 2 sieges in a row? Really?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:51 am »

Goblin Christmas is coming!
Remember to make +Sugar roast+ and let Goblin Claus leave presents outside the perimeter traps!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:17 am »

My current world seems filled with goblins from what I'm previously used to.  I unfortunately only have nickel on my map, and I play with a minimal trap policy and I refuse to shut myself in.  My 2nd siege was pretty big, but only 1 elite bowgoblin thankfully.  A passing werepig crashed the party and took on the bowgoblin squad, delaying them long enough to spread out the attacks.  He didn't kill any of them, but they took forever shooting him.

My 3rd siege was brutal, it was 6-7 squads, 3 of them ranged and 3 elite bow goblins.  My crossbow heavy defense was pummeled and my paltry 8 unit axe squad only partially equipped in armor couldn't withstand the onslaught.  I will have to revise my building plans if I want to keep playing with the front doors always open.

Being very honest here: Please, please, PLEASE embark in a terrifying zombie biome and chronicle your open door policy there:p

I'll be rooting for you all the way :D

you mean for all of 5 minutes?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:11 am »

My current world seems filled with goblins from what I'm previously used to.  I unfortunately only have nickel on my map, and I play with a minimal trap policy and I refuse to shut myself in.  My 2nd siege was pretty big, but only 1 elite bowgoblin thankfully.  A passing werepig crashed the party and.took on the bowgoblin squad, delaying them long enough to spread out the attacks.  He didn't kill any of them, but they took forever shooting him.

My 3rd siege was brutal, it was 6-7 squads, 3 of them ranged and 3 elite bow goblins.  My crossbow heavy defense was pummeled and my paltry 8 unit axe squad only partially equipped in armor couldn't withstand the onslaught.  I will have to revise my building plans if I want to keep playing with the front doors always open.

Being very honest here: Please, please, PLEASE embark in a terrifying zombie biome and chronicle your open door policy there:p

I just wanna see some one do it :p I mean succeed doing it. So far the normal m.o. is to wall off from the outside world. If you can somehow keep the surface clean, and manage your outside work, you might just could do it.

He seems to have a bit of experience with keeping the door open, so I'd say he has a better chance :p

So for 6 minutes :-P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:38:17 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:36 pm »

Goblin Christmas is coming!
Remember to make +Sugar roast+ and let Goblin Claus leave presents outside the perimeter traps!
You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not shout I'm telling you why...

puppy daub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

My current world seems filled with goblins from what I'm previously used to.  I unfortunately only have nickel on my map, and I play with a minimal trap policy and I refuse to shut myself in.  My 2nd siege was pretty big, but only 1 elite bowgoblin thankfully.  A passing werepig crashed the party and.took on the bowgoblin squad, delaying them long enough to spread out the attacks.  He didn't kill any of them, but they took forever shooting him.

I just wanna see some one do it :p I mean succeed doing it. So far the normal m.o. is to wall off from the outside world. If you can somehow keep the surface clean, and manage your outside work, you might just could do it.

He seems to have a bit of experience with keeping the door open, so I'd say he has a better chance :p

So for 6 minutes :-P

I would most certainly not be able to handle my open door policy in a terrifying embark.  I lost (primarily)to 3 elite bow goblins and their accompanying ranged units.  If I was almost killed by that, I would currently stand no chance.  My fort somehow survived even though the goblins were pouring into my fort, I must have inflicted just enough damage to cause them to flee.  I was just watching them flood in and knew it was the end, until suddenly it wasn't.

I'm not sure what you could do with pieces that keep getting up to attack you non stop.  Maybe alternate courtyard entrances where after one set of battles you clean up with magma or compactors, in the meantime the other courtyard opens up and is the new front door.   Although until something elaborate like that is setup, you'd have to shut yourself in for a good while.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

I would most certainly not be able to handle my open door policy in a terrifying embark.  I lost (primarily)to 3 elite bow goblins and their accompanying ranged units.  If I was almost killed by that, I would currently stand no chance.  My fort somehow survived even though the goblins were pouring into my fort, I must have inflicted just enough damage to cause them to flee.  I was just watching them flood in and knew it was the end, until suddenly it wasn't.

I'm not sure what you could do with pieces that keep getting up to attack you non stop.  Maybe alternate courtyard entrances where after one set of battles you clean up with magma or compactors, in the meantime the other courtyard opens up and is the new front door.   Although until something elaborate like that is setup, you'd have to shut yourself in for a good while.
It isn't that difficult to set up.  Lever to bridge.  Same lever to a gear and that gear to the other bridge.  Throw lever to open both bridges.  Connect a temporary (second) lever to the gear, then throw the lever to toggle it which should close the one bridge. Next, deconstruct the second lever.  The gear should then keep the bridges out of sync, allowing you to throw the lever to open one and close the other, at any time.

I believe the only hazard here is if something heavy were to stand on a bridge, keeping it from closing, at which point the bridges might be forcibly synced again.  !!science!! (or at least XXscienceXX) would be needed to verify that danger, of course.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]