Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing?  (Read 1828 times)

Malek Deneith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing?
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

I came to point where clothing of some of my older dwarves started to get worn. Now this probably means I should start clothes production, but looking at how many diffrent types of clothing dwarves wear I simply can't imagine making clothes for 50 dwarves I have, leave alone more when the come. So is there a sane way to set up clothes production for the fortress, or am I better off leaving them running in rags Boatmurdered-style?  :)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

The layers of vomit and blood quickly compensate for the lack of clothing.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

I find it hard to get them to get rid of all the useless old clothes,

Would it be enough to go to stocks screen and designate everything that's badly worn to be dumped in the magma?
You see I start producing kitten leather gloves but unless the dwarfs come to pick them up how do I know if I've made too many or too few?
perhaps if some day the mandates were made more sane so that if clothing is becoming a problem the mayor mandates the production of shoes and socks rather than asking for fine pewter crowns when I have no fine pewter.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

Currently you can't dump owned items, which include dwarves' clothing. Dwarves will replace their clothes before they wear out entirely, if there's replacements available, and then they'll never look at their old clothes again. So if you make new clothing, be ready to have random rags strewn throughout your fortress.

That said, the easiest way to churn out clothes is to just buy all the machine-made (i.e. low-quality) cloth that the traders bring and set a clothier on repeat for shirts, trousers, socks, gloves, caps, et cetera. To get better-quality cloth, you have to start from thread, which is harder to get in quantity. To get really good quality, you also have to dye the stuff. You can set clothier shops to only used dyed cloth from the 'o' menu; that'll give your dyers time to get to the undyed cloth.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

Unless something was changed very recently dwarves don't get unhappy thoughts from wearing rags or being naked, this was a temporary fix for a bug that made them pull new clothes on over their old ones and thus constantly have unhappy thoughts about wearing rotting clothes.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

A good way of producing the right quantities of clothes is to use the manager. Press J to go to the jobs menu, then M to go to the manager screen. Add work orders for torso clothes, leg clothes, shoes, etc. in the quantities of however many dwarves are starting to wear out their clothing. Note that things like gloves and shoes are made in pairs, don't make twice as many like I used to do and end up drowning in extra mittens.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

small question:
you can dye cloth, but also thread.

why do so?
What is the benefit of dyeing a thread to dyeing a cloth?
It's not as if the dyeing can fail miserably, causing dwarfs to vomit whenever they see the colour...
I'm dying to know.  :p

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Annales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:34:00 am »

Answer in the wiki: URL

Some cloth goods cannot be dyed.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

That answers exactly nothing. :/

The question remains: why dye thread.
It is woven automatically into cloth, which can be dyed, there are no other uses for thread.
finished goods (clothing) cannot be dyed, fine they are made from cloth.
sew cloth image is made from cloth.

It must be something which has planned features still missing...

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Well, if you insist on fulfilling a merchant's request for thread, you can squeeze a bit more money out of him by dyeing the thread.

Otherwise, it's about the same as dwarven sugar.  It adds flavor, but there are better things you could do.