Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood (in dining hall)  (Read 1390 times)

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood (in dining hall)
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

Okay, I've already lost two good dwarves to unfulfillable strange moods, I don't want to lose a third.  When a dwarf goes fey and takes over a workshop I know you can press 'q' to find out what he needs, but when he takes his strange mood to the main dining hall what then?  I can find no way of ascertaining what he needs, so invariably he just goes mad.  My best farmer has just done exactly that, and I'd like to save him if at all possible... (I'm using the version of the game one before the most recent).

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood (in dining hall)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

I think this means that the workshop he wants to claim has not been built.  It seems in this version that if the workshop is not available when the mood hits he will never claim it, even if it is built later,unless you build the correct one right on top of him.  Try building every workshop you don't have yet right over him until he claims one, else assign a couple of war dogs to him.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

Actually, it seems that building anything on top of the "stuck" dwarf will get him moving again.  I had a jeweler go fey with no jeweler's shop, and of course he wouldn't budge once the shop was finished.  So I tried building a bed on top of him and he immediately left and went to the shop.

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

I think you can find out what shop he needs by checking his skills.  Whatever his highest skill is should correspond with what shop he wants.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

Nope. I've had a dwarf with only one skill, brewing or whatever it was, claim a Mason's workshop. Also at least twice dwarves went to workshops with jobs they were only dabbling in.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Prox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

Meant to add not all skills can cause moods.  The food related ones, for example, can't.