Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: vampire frequency  (Read 9791 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
vampire frequency
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »

is there any data / experience on how commen vampires are? I think I just identified the second one in an 80 dorf fort. I think it is an interesting feature but they should be rare
are vampires controlled by the savagery setting in world gen?
it seems that my fort gets almost as many vampires as goblins which feels somehow very wrong (normal area embark, calm I think)
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: vampire frequency
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:50 pm »

Vampires are common. Every fort will get at least one. Random. The amount is controlled by legends mode, not world gen

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

I've got 91 dwarves and not a single vampire (As far as I know, I've done a bit of screening but it wasn't perfect.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »

My fort has 1 vampire. It arrived with the second small migrant wave, that brought my population up to 24. My population has reached 64 now, and I've lost a few dwarves in between. I think I've seen about 80 migrants arriving in total. No more vampires so far.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

zx.pr0jk#

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblin Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »

Out of 15 waves and about 250 dwarves, my current fort has seen 7 vampires. I often have 3 alive at a time.

My vampires tend to die of "natural causes" pretty often otherwise I'd have a sizable squad by now.  :P

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:58 pm »

Population of 260 dwarfs. So far, no suspected vampires. No one drained of blood. What gives?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »

Population of 260 dwarfs. So far, no suspected vampires. No one drained of blood. What gives?

similar situation, 7 year fort, no vampires
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:29 pm »

150 dwarves, I'm on the 2nd human caravan now, I got several suspects (huge kill list, lots of jewellery, different names in-game and in therapist, etc) so far not a single victim... I was told that if my civ has no vampires in legends mode, then I get no vampires in my immigrants... currently checking legends...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:06:09 pm by Kaos »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

Generate longer histories to get a bigger chance of vampires.  Short history and there may not even be any that exist.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »

Generate longer histories to get a bigger chance of vampires.  Short history and there may not even be any that exist.

Longer history =/= crash

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:12:00 pm »

I had two in the 100-dwarf fort that I ultimately lost (and then decided to wait until the next release before re-resuming).  It's pretty cool when you get them, adds some mystery and frustration to the game.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »

I found them!!
I made a copy of my save, abandoned, exported the legends data and used Legends Viewer, did an advanced search for Historical Figures, with the criteria:
Active Interaction - contains - DEITY_CURSE_VAMPIRE
and - Race - Equals - Dwarf

Got 25 results, checked all of them:
3 last settlements were in Human Towns
1 last settlement was in a Human Hamlet

1 last settlement was in a Dark Fortress that had more Dwarves than Humans than Elfs than Goblins... go figure...
1 last settlement was in a Goblin Dark Fortress

13 last settlements were in other Dwarven civilizations's Mountain Halls
2 began wandering the wilds after their last settlement in other Dwarven civilizations's Mountain Halls
1 began scouting the area around another Dwarven civ's Mountain Halls after settling there

3 last settlements were in one of my Dwarven civ's Mountain Halls (but a different group)

1 of these is the QUEEN of my civilization: The Living Gate of Meditation, with a name like "Onul Noblecrypt" I should have guessed it...

So from this we can conclude that:
a) Even dwarven vampires hate elfs to the point of not settling in their sites... lol
b) My only chances of getting vampires are those 3 vampires in my civ? 2 (including my queen) live in one Mountain Halls and the remaining one lives in a different one.
c) All 25 are alive, I checked if there were any dead ones and there weren't, since I abandoned my fortress I can assume all the dwarves living there, are for the effects of the Legends snapshot I took, currently dead?? so this confirms I have no vampires in my fortress right?
Checking my abandoned site, and the dwarves that lived there, it says that they became a refugee in some ocean...?? so they are alive after all....???
since all dwarven vampires were accounted for and none had "became a refugee in xxx" at the end of their event log I think this reconfirms I have no vampires....
d) in the criteria you can also search for:
DEITY_CURSE_werebeast
SECRET
SECRET_ANIMATE
does it work the same for the werebeasts? if you don't have historical weredwarves figures in your civ you get none?
what about the other tags? for necromancers? how does it work?

For the necromancers to siege you you have to embark within 10 region map's tiles around a tower, in your neighbors will appear "Tower", interestingly it doesn't show with the red "-----" can you trade with necromancers??

Checking my legends I noticed that 2 of my civilization's Kings went to live to a Tower, and some of the dwarves in my settlement have nicknames in the legends while most not (I nicknamed everyone)... will check some more and report back...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:13 pm »

a) I cheked my abandoned site Leyends, all the dwarves there get the "become a refugee of xxx"
b) The ones that show up in legends with a nickname doesn't seem to have anything in particular to them...
c) Checked all the dwarves with "SECRET", out of 20:
7 were former kings of a dwarven civ, 2 of which belonged to my own, they govern some years then move to a Tower and stay there creating stuff (books?)
7 have no name, no history, they just exist, have age, gender and race, that's it...
6 are peasants, nothing special.
c) Checked all the dwarves with "SECRET_ANIMATE", out of 7:
these seem to be the same 7 with no name on SECRET.... maybe they are zombies?
Not sure... really, when I checked the 3 Tower sites, in the population count, the total amounted to 20 dwarves, and the total for animated dwarves was 99, so the 7 unnamed are considered dwarves...
d) I checked my werebeasts, and I only got 1 human wandering... so no chance to get werebeasts in my fort?

EDIT: the human werebeast is settled in one of my parent dwarven civ's mountain halls? no way I can get her as an immigrant?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:32:38 pm by Kaos »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:11 pm »

Just as follow up, I got a confirmed vampire, no sleep, no eat, fake group affiliations (I checked on legends), and even saw him attack another dwarf and get the long teeth.

In the legends he was one of the 25 that was NOT settled in one of my parent's civ sites. His last settlement was in another dwarven civ's mountain halls.

Naril the Wretched

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Oh, You'd Like to Know, wouldn't you?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:23 pm »

is there any data / experience on how commen vampires are? I think I just identified the second one in an 80 dorf fort. I think it is an interesting feature but they should be rare
are vampires controlled by the savagery setting in world gen?
it seems that my fort gets almost as many vampires as goblins which feels somehow very wrong (normal area embark, calm I think)

I've had 6 in mine. only been about 4-5 years too. I locked two of them in a room together for a couple years. They became best friends and were ecstatic for years. then one of them got a strange mood and went berserk. XD!! what fun that was for his roomate.  spent 5-10 minutes running in circles around their tiny room, put up a hell of a fight bruising his pancreas and breaking many a rib, but the berserk vampire overpowered him. for another few months I couldn't see the berserk one through the miasma.
Shortly afterwords, his best friend came back as a ghost, and spent all of his time with the berserk vampire. I love this game.
Pages: [1] 2