Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Threetoe's Stories - Arranged into a book!  (Read 2690 times)

Silver_Kiwi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Threetoe's Stories - Arranged into a book!
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:27:26 pm »

Hi Everyone,
I've lurked here for YEARS but finally decided to get an account. I've started writing my dissertation and subsequently started many hobbies in a futile attempt to procrastinate (34.02 hasn't helped either!). I was reading through some of Threetoe's stories, and wished they were arranged in a book format, something that was easier for me to read over an extended period. My dissertation is being written in LaTeX, a neat publishing tool, so I decided to arrange all the stories into a nice set. Took me about a week but I am done!

Anyone interested in something like this? Has anyone sat down and read all the Threetoe stories in one sitting?

Edit: Stories uploaded in one pdf to DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5694
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:00:29 pm by Silver_Kiwi »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Threetoe's Stories - Arranged into a book?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

Which stories do you mean? The short donation rewards of which a lot are on the wiki or the longer ones here?

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »

Ooooo.. Im interested! :D I've wanted to read them all but I'm too lazy to find all of them. 
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

shadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »

Be nice if you just posted them up :)

Silver_Kiwi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »

The longer ones you linked to are what I'm talking about. I've compiled the thing and it comes out to be a 255 page PDF! Anyone know of a good site I can upload the document to and link to you guys?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »

It would be very interesting if someone did a mod for books, where you have to find multiple chapters for a book and put them all together. Upon doing so you get (insert reward).
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress File Depot should work.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/

I already read all of the stories, but I'm interested in what you came up with.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »

It would be very interesting if someone did a mod for books, where you have to find multiple chapters for a book and put them all together. Upon doing so you get (insert reward).
That does work well in the Elder Scrolls series (with the reward being that you can read the whole story) but it's not really compatible with the way books work in Dwarf Fortress.

Silver_Kiwi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:47:54 pm »

Ok, I've added the file to the DF File Depot! Hope you guys enjoy the format, it has been fun putting it together! You can get it here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5694

Feedback would be appreciated! I'm thinking of doing something like this for the history of DF, or maybe the Boatmurdered saga...

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Threetoe's Stories - Arranged into a book!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »

Ive thought about doing one for all the story sagas. I'd love if someone else took the time, lol. Screenshots have to be including ;)

*edit*

Just grabbed the PDF... This is very well done! I'd definitely like to see a nicely done version of the epic LPs and the like. :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:14:17 pm by helf »
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »

If you like threetoes storys donate ;) If you get to a good amount you might even coax him into writing a new longer piece for the frontpage.

Also the PDF would need some Illustrtions! Atleast a good cover!

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silver_Kiwi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:02:42 am »

I do think illustrations would be nice. Perhaps a future edition compiling one of the LPs could get the support of this community to illustrate some of the scenes! Anyone interested in doing things like that?

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Took me about a week but I am done!

It's a nice idea and a good design, but having looked at the typographical design on the first pages it struck me that some lines have overlength and break the otherwise nice justification of the text. For a serious publication like the one your work claims and appears to be this is unacceptable. It'd be worth to put yet more effort into it to have a flawless typographical design.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 02:09:33 am »

Certain rights issues are going to come up with this. And should come up with this if only to clarify that the proper procedures have been gone through.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:10:02 am »

It looks pretty good! It's definitely easier to read than the original way.

However, I think you should include some more basic information in the book, just for sake of completeness. A complete newbie would have no idea why those stories are called Threetoe's stories, for example.
It would also be nice to mention the story rewards with ASCII art by Threetoe for donators.

Other than that, great work! I hope Threetoe and Toady like it, too.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: [1] 2