Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Read?  (Read 1611 times)

Nexaduro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How To Read?
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:17 pm »

Just that. What buttons do I press? Right now I'm chilling in the middle of a Necromancer's tower while the apprentices rage around, surrounded by books and with Novice in Reading yet no idea how to read.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How To Read?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »

I, capital.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »

shift + i to open your inventory in use mode, select the book, push a
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:24:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you'd need adequate reading, though.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Nexaduro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:29 pm »

Everything's good, I succeeded.

Now, how do I feed as a Vampire? :P

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »

find a sleeping vilager and sneak a bite or strangle an animal/bandit and feed on them, it uses "e" and the target name shows at the top of the list
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:07 pm »

How the hell are you geting those random skill requirements?! You can read books whit novice reader and you can swim over an entire sea whit novice swimmer!

I mean, seriously, were do you get those ideas?

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:04 pm »

How the hell are you geting those random skill requirements?! You can read books whit novice reader and you can swim over an entire sea whit novice swimmer!

Yeah, you can become a necromancer with novice reader and very low linguistic ability, to boot.

As for swimmer: I think getting to adequate is supposed to help you avoid floundering - or at least, that's what I've heard.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »

Think of it as the novice earning his legendary status by going through hell itself.

*231 pages on the subject, is the Dwarf real? It is written in algebra.*

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:45 pm »

Ah, right, now I remember why adequate swimmer was recommended: in the previous version, there were no ramps next to water, making it dangerous to go swimming as a novice. But, now that most rivers, pools and lakes have ramps, that's not as necessary any more.

Now where am I gonna put those extra 6 points?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:18 pm »

Ah, right, now I remember why adequate swimmer was recommended: in the previous version, there were no ramps next to water, making it dangerous to go swimming as a novice. But, now that most rivers, pools and lakes have ramps, that's not as necessary any more.

Now where am I gonna put those extra 6 points?

knapping

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »

As for swimmer: I think getting to adequate is supposed to help you avoid floundering - or at least, that's what I've heard.

Adequate swimming will allow you to remain calm and swim when falling downward unintentionally in to water, like if you dodge in to it. Novices will start drowning in that situation.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

You can train up to adequate from novice without any real problem, however. 

In fact, you don't need swimmer at all, now that you have ramps on all the streams.  If you don't mind a rather annoying "jump in the river, drown a little, flounder back onto shore, jump back in the river, drown a little, flounder back onto shore", you can train up swimmer from nothing from the safety of a starting town. 

I'd probably give it novice just for the convenience, though.

So, really, I put reader at adequate, just because there wasn't any reason not to.  It's not like there is anything else I really need besides the defensive skills.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare