Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to drain a pond?  (Read 1618 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to drain a pond?
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

There's a body of water outside my fort. My axe lord was chasing a wolf that was harassing my dwarves. The axe lord decided it was smart to jump in the water and drown. Now I was wondering what would be the best way to drain the water out of there without harming the miner so I can collect the equipment.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to drain a pond?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

Dig into it, the miner can run faster than the water flows.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

Yeah, water doesn't flow at lethal speeds anymore... more of a dribble.
You can also set up a screw pump to drain the pond. Doesn't take too long, and doesn't involve mining, but it does (obviously) involve building a screw pump.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:03:00 am »

If you have another miner, you can build channels leading away from the pond.  This won't actually drain the pond, but by expanding the area for the water to fill the water should get shallower.  Once it is shallow enough, the dwarves will run in and grab everything, as long as there is a stairway.  Later you can bridge over it to remove the threat of the same thing happening again.

If it freezes in the winter, I believe you can just mine out the ice.

I've been giving my 7 starting dwarves novice swimming, they can last a ridiculously long time if they can swim.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

Build a floor over it   :)

/edit

nevermind, thought you wanted to know how to not have it happen again, not get the goodies in it

[ November 12, 2007: Message edited by: termitehead ]