Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: True Adventurers  (Read 3929 times)

spacedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
True Adventurers
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »

What's the longest you've managed to keep an adventurer alive?

Suffice it to say Adventure Mode is super hard, which is what I love about the game, but I'd like to have a worthy adventurer every now and again.  I tend to die within the first week of game time, if not sooner.  I'm looking for advice on how to become a smart adventurer.

I always play as a demigod and pump all my points between strength/agility/toughness/endurance/& willpower.  I generally split all of my skill points between weapon of choice/fighter/swimmer/ambusher/shield/armor/dodger.  I spend the first couple of in game days looking for metal armor and weapons and finding quests that should be manageable.  I can usually survive 1-2 scrapes against foes, but consistently am dead before the end of the first week.

What does it take to be a good adventurer?  The most notable kills I've ever managed to get is ~20, and that is a rare occasion.

Thanks in advance for tips.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: True Adventurers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »

Well my 2010 adventurer has passed what I believe is two years (I've lost all track of time beyond the passing seasons), crossed two mountain ranges, one of them three times, the other twice, attempting to uncover the entire world, become a hero in ALL THE CIVS and e.t.c.

I've also discovered Giant Eagles are very nutritious.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »

put superhuman in strength agility and something else (toughness/spacial/kinetic sense/endurance) put you combat skills in a weapon of your choice (15) shield user (10) and fightin (8) any extras should go into reading since you cannot level it. (that's what i used to do with my demigod adventurers)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:56 pm »

I only play as modded in Iron Men, because I always die right off the bat.

It also helps that they can wear humansized armor.

and in the new version they still die in about half an hour, because a black bear made me dodge off a 15z level ledge.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »

What does it take to be a good adventurer?  The most notable kills I've ever managed to get is ~20, and that is a rare occasion.

only 20? your doing something wrong i have 913 notable kills and i'm just messin around not actually trying :|
that and i have 315 other kills.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

I should probably mention I never fast travel, and I can't remember when's the last time I talked to someone (the civilizations simply stopped needing my skill ;_;) which is why I have lost track of all time

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »

DF2010 doens't really count, considering you don't need to eat or drink.
*Hugs*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:44:02 pm »

DF2010 doens't really count, considering you don't need to eat or drink.

I ate and drank to the point where I had untold layers of muscle and fat, and got through 4-5 stacks of Giant Eagle meat, brains and hearts every week. So I'd beg to differ :P

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »

And did you fail to do that precisely nothing bad would have happened, so nope :P
*Hugs*

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

i updated to 34.01 as soon as it came out and switched to .02 not too long afterwards, i'm helping the game along as well by reporting the bugs i find or confirming they happen if they have already been reported. i have been playing as a vampire tho so every once in a wile i need to go strangle some poor defenseless animal and drain it of all its blood and reanimate it to fight by my side.
recently i'v just been stuffin em into a backpack for later, gunna use my 250+ zombie backpack as a throwing weapon that will then explode in a mass of zombies that will rip the target apart like some helpless rag-doll :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:52:20 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:40 pm »

And did you fail to do that precisely nothing bad would have happened, so nope :P

I n'er did :P

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »

i had 98 notable kills untill i took an arrow to the knee....then bled to death ( true story...darn elves...)

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:51 pm »

i had 98 notable kills untill i took an arrow to the knee....then bled to death ( true story...darn elves...)

That's why a True adventurer wears a high boot.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

my genned worlds tend to have no civs that use armor, besides royalty who had a copper breastplate in the whole dam world!! one piece of armor in a whole world -_-

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 02:09:23 pm »

my genned worlds tend to have no civs that use armor, besides royalty who had a copper breastplate in the whole dam world!! one piece of armor in a whole world -_-

Did you already search abandoned fortresses and tombs?
Pages: [1] 2 3