Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: inventory management  (Read 2802 times)

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
Re: inventory management
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:43 pm »

Personally, I think it's the [TWO_HANDED:77500] on the two-handed sword that makes it a multigrasp weapon for humans.  I think the tag means that any creature lower than size 77500 has to multigrasp the weapon to use it effectively.  Since humans are only size 70000, it would still be a multigrasp weapon for them.  Since longswords have [TWO_HANDED:57500], humans should be able to hold them just fine one handed.  Dwarves should too, now that I think about it, since they're size 60000.  Does this match with your observations?
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:06 pm »

the [TWO_HANDED] tag appears to have changed in how it works, and I'm observing what Xotano has seen.

MENTLEGEN, SCIENCE MUST BE DONE!

silverhound

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:48 am »

actually, it might just be the whole 'has sock, want to use' that is influencing the outcome.
i did a similar test with just elves, copper long swords and grandmaster swordsmanship and half of the combatants holding a sock in their other hand.

outcome: 26 battles, 24 won by the ones not holding a sock in their other hand.

P.S.
i used Xotano's arena model.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:49 am »

Okay, time for further !!SCIENCE!!. I set up a bunch of 5v5 human battles, the only skill being Proficient swordsman, and no items other than what's in their hands. All equipment was iron. Also, note that most of these were only one round, sometimes two, but the surviving side usually won by a large margin.

Dual-wielding, longsword vs. 2-hander: longswords won
Sword and shield, longsword vs. 2-hander: longswords won
Single sword, longsword vs. 2-hander: longswords won
Single sword, shortsword vs. 2-hander: shortswords won
Single sword, shortsword vs. longsword: shortswords won

Okay, so clearly I can't conclude much from mixed-weapon testing. Time for some single sword, vs. dual-wielding, I think. Also, I'm going to increase the number of rounds, and record win/loss ratios more accurately.

2-handers, round 1: single sword won, 4 survivors in good condition
2-handers, round 2: single sword won, 4 survivors in good condition
2-handers, round 3: single sword won, 3 survivors in good condition, 1 survivor who can't stand

longswords, round 1: dual-wielders won, 1 survivor in good condition, 1 winded crawling survivor
longswords, round 2: single sword won, 3 survivors in good condition, 1 crawling survivor
longswords, round 3: dual-wielders won, 2 survivors in good condition
longswords, round 4: single sword won, 3 survivors in good condition, 1 crawling survivor in pain
longswords, round 5: single sword won, 1 survivor in good condition, 2 crawling survivors

So, conclusion: there DOES seem to be a real penalty to wielding a multigrasp weapon in one hand, since the single sword victories were more decisive (and consistent!) for the 2-handers than for the longswords. Also, in the AI's hands, dual-wielding is not effective.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:13 am »

Not really sound science ._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:38:59 am »

Well, it spams your fighting screen, but for the rest i dont really think that there is a penalty.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:03 am »

well i guess i could test single two handed sword agains dual two handed sword, they would be the same speed but one of them would be using them in single hands instead of multigrasping them, that might proove it. !!SCIENCE!! is fun!
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:24:29 am »

Not really sound science ._.

Yeah, I know the sample size is pretty small, and there are a bunch of other variables that might be at play here. But, at least it's a start, right?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 08:25:31 am »

thats right, !!SCIENCE!! takes time.

but i'm sure theres some sort of coding that isnt connected to he weapons that makes not multigrasping a multigrasp by your race weapon give you a disadvantage of some sort, sure enough that ima stick with my longsword and lop heads off that way rather then use a multigrasp and loose my wrestling ability with it on. :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:30:21 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:13 am »

is there some kind of penalty / problem in fighting when you have so much random stuff in your hands?

I hope not, I've always been dropping and retaking items that ends up on my Right/Left hand after removing a wear. A few people do that in case it does make the fighting worse...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:34:22 am by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:27 am »

Well, the main reason I did an abridged test is there are so many variables - it wasn't clear what question to ask. For instance, at the outset, I would've started with the conjecture that two-handed swords would beat short swords, when it seems that the opposite is more likely (for the test environment I used, at least). At the very least, hopefully my brief (and yes, quite insufficient :P) tests are a useful starting point for more thorough testing.

Also, those tests don't give any indication about what happens against armor, or non-human enemies, which are quite relevant.

Edit: *shakes fist at Lexyvil's ninja-edit to remove something I replied to* :P

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:42 am »

you could test shortswords against guys with iron two handers and shields.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 10:19:03 am »

Cause at first I thought your 5v5 human experiment was for the actual topic's response on: if carrying too much items in the Left and Right hand can change the probability of the combat's success, that is until I saw the whole thread, you were testing two-handed swords~  :D
My post ends here.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:49 am »

Cause at first I thought your 5v5 human experiment was for the actual topic's response on: if carrying too much items in the Left and Right hand can change the probability of the combat's success, that is until I saw the whole thread, you were testing two-handed swords~  :D

Ah, good, that means my correction/clarification was unnecessary after all (I thought that's why you'd edited your post). Carry on!

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:44 pm »

Instead of just throwing swordsmen at each other why don't you test the actual weapons. Put everyone on the same team.

One no skill gain species sword-user. One two-handed sword. One sock.

Then a bunch of people with varying amounts of dodge so that the skill roll gets harder.

Try stabbing them in the gut, and record the number of times you miss. Switch weapon styles, and try again.
Remove the AI from the equation.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3