Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: inventory management  (Read 2801 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
inventory management
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:04:55 am »

so I just traded a bunch of surplus weapons and armor to a jeweler for some gems, much less heavy, so easier to carry around, although the jeweler probably made a killing in the trade but now I have about 50 gems in my right and left hand on top of the great axe and shield
is there some kind of penalty / problem in fighting when you have so much random stuff in your hands?
will I get to hit my opponents with a rectangular cut moss agate?
is there an easy way to put all of these items in my backpack?

thanks
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: inventory management
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:16 am »

what do you need money for anyway?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:25:47 am »

You should be able to hit things with your gems, yes.

You can most definitely get them in your backpack, although it will be item-by-item. Try using the "p" key to get 'em all in there. If that doesn't work, 'd'rop them to the ground, and then 'g'et them again, and you'll automatically shove them in your backpack.

No idea if having your hands over-full imposes a penalty; I tend not to stay in that sort of situation, because it feels wrong to me (although a Tardis-backpack doesn't, for some reason).

Hope that helps!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:55:30 am »

In combat, if you attack people by walking into them with the arrow keys, you might take opportunity attacks with the gems instead of attacking with a real weapon.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »

No idea if having your hands over-full imposes a penalty;

It doesn't.

In combat, if you attack people by walking into them with the arrow keys, you might take opportunity attacks with the gems instead of attacking with a real weapon.

(A)lw(A)ys (A)ttack with the (A)dv(A)nced comb(A)t system. Helps you get kill shots e(A)sily.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »

This should work: if they're in consecutive order in your inventory, you can record a macro of you dropping the first one to the ground (with CTRL + r), then repeat it for each other gem (with CTRL + u, type the number of remaining gems in your inventory, then hit CTRL + p).  Then you can do the same for picking them up.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »

over full hands doesnt cause any penalties but using a two handed "multigrasp" weapon in one hand does, you loose quite a lot of your hit chance, enough of it that a one handed weapon of the same type would be much greater.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:14:44 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »

over full hands doesnt cause any penalties but using a two handed weapon in one hand does, you loose quite a lot of your hit chance, enough of it that a one handed weapon of the same type would be much greater.

All nonsense :P

Two handed weapons are called two handed weapons because from the perspective of a Dwarf - it takes two hands to wield them. There's no penalty from wielding them with one hand if you can.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »

over full hands doesnt cause any penalties but using a two handed weapon in one hand does, you loose quite a lot of your hit chance, enough of it that a one handed weapon of the same type would be much greater.

All nonsense :P

Two handed weapons are called two handed weapons because from the perspective of a Dwarf - it takes two hands to wield them. There's no penalty from wielding them with one hand if you can.

I believe Xotano is talking about weapons that are wielded as "multigrasp" when you've got a spare hand, but "left/right hand" if you don't. Suffice to say, given that only certain weapons do that, I think it's fair to call them "two-handed" ;).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »

I believe Xotano is talking about weapons that are wielded as "multigrasp" when you've got a spare hand, but "left/right hand" if you don't. Suffice to say, given that only certain weapons do that, I think it's fair to call them "two-handed" ;).

I was talking of the very same ;)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »

no no, i actually did some testing with multigrasp weapons, theres a point where they become single handed weapons for some races, the larger they are the sooner it happens, but if you multigrasp a multigrasp weapon as intended they work fine, if your not big enough to hold it single handedly you actually do get a penalty to hit chance, tested it with dwarfs humans and elfs the dwarfs and elfs were better off with smaller weapons and the humans were a bit strange tho, but the longswords won out over the two handed swords 75% of the time anyways.

mostly saying, humans CAN hit a point where multigrasp will be one handed even if the other hand is completely empty and that makes pikes and two handed swords really powerful weapons.
having a masterwork two handed sword will likely overpower the penalty for wielding it in a single hand.

its similar to how dwarfs and elfs have to multigrasp the "normal" sized human weapons to balance them out with the human skill, dwarfs are much closer due to there size and can hold them single handedly sooner.

further edit:
if you were wondering about the testing i made 7x1 rooms in the arena with obsidian (placing lava and then water) the middle spot was empty, i added a guy on each side one with legendary swordsmanship, one of them had a longsword and the other had a two handed sword and a sock in his off hand, then i filled the hole in the middle up and watched them fight to the death. i did about 20 rooms for each playable race. with the sock in the offhand the two handed sword users lost 75% of the time, without the sock they won 75% of the time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:49:39 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_2H]
[NAME:two-handed sword:two-handed swords]
[SIZE:900]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:77500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:62500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100000:8000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:4000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100000:8000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG]
[NAME:long sword:long swords]
[SIZE:700]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:57500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:52500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:60000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:3000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:60000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

You can multigrasp weapons that your race can weild in one hand, no penalty or advantage to it whatsoever.
What you're noticing is that Longswords are significantly smaller than 2H swords, so are quicker to use.
More parries, more hits, Longswords'll win in a 1to1 fight.

theres a point where they become single handed weapons for some races

Unless they grow, this doesn't happen :P

[TWO_HANDED:Size here] is the tag that determines whether something can only wield a weapon with two hands. This only affects fortress mode, there is actually no penalty to holding multiple things in your hand, multigrasping or just holding one weapon.

but if you multigrasp a multigrasp weapon as intended they work fine, if your not big enough to hold it single handedly you actually do get a penalty to hit chance, tested it with dwarfs humans and elfs the dwarfs and elfs were better off with smaller weapons and the humans were a bit strange tho, but the longswords won out over the two handed swords 75% of the time anyways.

Dwarfs are naturally strong, Elfs naturally fast. Give them both a weapon that is quick to use, they'll win against most other things. Arena mode is good grounds for testing, but it's not infallible ;)

mostly saying, humans CAN hit a point where multigrasp will be one handed even if the other hand is completely empty and that makes pikes and two handed swords really powerful weapons.

They can always wield 2h swords in one hand...

having a masterwork two handed sword will likely overpower the penalty for wielding it in a single hand.

No penalty

2H sword = more contact area, more limbs flying
Long sword = quicker

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

Im not so sure about that Loud Whispers, I got an adventurer who started whit a 2-hander, I couldn't hit any shit whit it.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

you missed the part where i reversed it and let the people use the 2 handed swords with both hands and they won 75% of the time instead of the opposite, they work better multigrasped then single-grasped it doesnt have to be on the weapon's coding itself i'm guessing its hidden somewhere else, there is a deffenent penalty to hit chance when your single handing a multigrasp weapon, and it does happen, if you have a fatass human with super human strength they can usually single grasp two handed swords.

if the penalty was on the weapons themselfs then you would get bonuses for "multigrasp"ing a longsword as a dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »

it doesnt have to be on the weapon's coding itself i'm guessing its hidden somewhere else

Weapons and creatures aren't hard coded, so it'd have to be in the weapon raws themselves, and there's nothing to suggest such a thing.

you missed the part where i reversed it and let the people use the 2 handed swords with both hands and they won 75% of the time instead of the opposite

The problem is there hasn't been any hard !!SCIENCE!! done on this yet, new thread with more data perhaps?

Im not so sure about that Loud Whispers, I got an adventurer who started whit a 2-hander, I couldn't hit any shit whit it.

So many things could've gone wrong ^-^

For example, my adventurer started with a steel two hander, and has killed many things wielding it in one hand with ease. Does this mean there are no penalties? Of course not! But we need to find evidence of the otherwise first before we change the wiki ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3