Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.  (Read 12441 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16:52 pm »

My next plan is to embark on a river that won't freeze and cross my fingers and hope the first wave of enemies comes from the other side.

I've learned the hard way that, oftentimes, zombies don't give half a shit about rivers. Even if you don't get giant raven corpses or some other flier, zombies don't have problems with water, and I've seen a few walk right through a river.

Duh, they don't breathe, so they can't drown
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:26 am »

Damn, I'd forgotten that rivers have ramps now.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:30 am »

Damn, I'd forgotten that rivers have ramps now.
Most of the zombies can walk over the water and fly, so ramps don't mean too much for them.
Finis sanctificat media.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

AFAIK, digging tombs or butchering corpses in the "good" area of the map doesn't help. Didn't helped me, anyway.
Ignoring potential bugs for the moment (see below), what was the good area of the map? If it was a water area atop an evil biome, maybe only the water tiles themselves are safe.

On my last game i eventually got dwarves raising from their tombs in a "Joyously wild" area, with no evil at all on embark.
Evil caverns? Just throwing that out there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

drain the river, fill it with magma and line it with traps.

That'll show them.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:53 am »

On my last game i eventually got dwarves raising from their tombs in a "Joyously wild" area, with no evil at all on embark.
Evil caverns? Just throwing that out there.
JOYOUSLY wilds. All right.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 09:16:09 am »

There are three different biomes that only appear underground. It's possible that the game applies good and evil values to those. There are also cavern creatures with the [EVIL] tag, but this might only control which civs can use them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:07 am »

I'm assuming that this just got harder with the most recent patch too now that zombies/whatnot don't bleed to death anymore after enough killings.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

I noticed when i landed into the most horrible and infested place that the only method to guarantee some longer than a season survival is to wall very early and build then a safe place, or you'll soon notice that even if they're all using weapons, your seven dwarves will be no match for one or two undead elephant charging them as i noticed very quickly :D.

Very early means that you then need lot woods immediately, because while rocks can be obtained from mining deep (but it will take too much time before you can get enough to wall a full camp), woods would be on surface, and you don't really want your dwarves adventuring out by themselves to cut trees considering the kind of monsters around.

So be sure to prepare your embark carefully and take lot of woods (and/or stones).

(note that when designing a world with parameters, you can increase the embark points offered to you, to simulate the fact that an expedition knowing that the region threat to them is insane, they would then take much more than usual)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:20:50 pm by Robsoie »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 01:57:27 pm »

I've been embarking and re-embarking in the same place for five saves now, trying to get it right. 3/4 of it is Calm, 1/4 is Sinister, but the volcano is in the Sinister part.

Point #1: It rains foul ooze all the time in the sinister part, so evil rains do happen in Sinister. This one causes bruises on every body part but doesn't seem to do any lasting damage.

Point #2: I haven't seen a single zombie, except during the first attempt when I got a necromancer siege in the first six months. (Three guesses how that went.) Then again, I've been trying to keep out of the ooze, since it tends to make for unhappy dwarves. I should dump a body part over there and see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]