Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.  (Read 12445 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:07 pm »

UPD. Training military with zombies is simple as ABC.
Finis sanctificat media.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »

§!¡««Æ¹¸ß牻»!!§

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:33 pm »

§!ĄŦŦÆđļßį‰ŧŧ!!§
What?
Finis sanctificat media.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 11:44:59 pm »

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »

But tell me more, if there is any difference between sinister/haunted/terrifying biomes in case of zombies or they all [EVIL] alike and differs only in animal genus?

Actually that's a good question that I'd like to know too. The wiki doesn't really differentiate between the 3 gradients inside good/neutral/evil all that much. It does have a section for savage which is evil's version of Terrifying but that doesn't really answer the question fully.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

But tell me more, if there is any difference between sinister/haunted/terrifying biomes in case of zombies or they all [EVIL] alike and differs only in animal genus?

Actually that's a good question that I'd like to know too. The wiki doesn't really differentiate between the 3 gradients inside good/neutral/evil all that much. It does have a section for savage which is evil's version of Terrifying but that doesn't really answer the question fully.
As far as i'm !!SCIENCE!!ed, it seems that sinister biomes doesn't have poisoned rains and have more corpses than zombies.
Finis sanctificat media.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:26 pm »

As far as i'm !!SCIENCE!!ed, it seems that sinister biomes doesn't have poisoned rains and have more corpses than zombies.

How about cursed mists?   Mean realistically if I wanted mist and rain and undead hordes I'd always pick terrifying just to be sure but it'd be nice if I could target say haunted and get all that just to open more embark sites.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:36 pm »

How about cursed mists?   Mean realistically if I wanted mist and rain and undead hordes I'd always pick terrifying just to be sure but it'd be nice if I could target say haunted and get all that just to open more embark sites.
Never seen cursed mists even in terrifying biomes.
Finis sanctificat media.

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:18 am »

AFAIK, digging tombs or butchering corpses in the "good" area of the map doesn't help. Didn't helped me, anyway.

I'd like to know, too, the maximum evilness/savagery available at embark WITHOUT zombifying risk.

On my last game i eventually got dwarves raising from their tombs in a "Joyously wild" area, with no evil at all on embark. No explanation on that, it was early game and i don't know what caused this. I guess you just have to be prepared for it, wherever you choose to live.

But yes, volcanoes do help a lot.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:46 am »

My current terrifying biome is just "misunderstood", I think. The fog causes minimal pain, the rain sometimes causes unconciousness, and there's been no undead. There doesn't even seem to be a resurrection interaction.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:12 am »

My current terrifying biome is just "misunderstood", I think. The fog causes minimal pain, the rain sometimes causes unconciousness, and there's been no undead. There doesn't even seem to be a resurrection interaction.
Well in a case I kinda "misunderstood" my embark region. It was raining some slime that caused unconsciousness ... then after some time I sent some dwarves outside to construct some hatches and bam, they died instantly due to the slime pools.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:29 am »

I have a sinister Ocean no zombie yet just a mist the blister the whole body made a bridge with some cat to test that Infernal Dust it called
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:51 am »

I suffer from having a pretty awful computer, so I'm limited to small embarks, sometimes even 1 square ones made possible by nanofortress if I want to do clever things with flows.
This means that any time undead wander onto the map, they're within spitting distance of my dwarves, and as soon as I kill them the next wave spawns immediately, and usually within job-stopping distance of my miners that are diseprately trying to give me a foothold underground.

My next plan is to embark on a river that won't freeze and cross my fingers and hope the first wave of enemies comes from the other side.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:17 am »

Is it called "The Peaks of Annoyance" or "The Plains of Inconvenience?" Maybe "The Forest of Impending Sniffles." You must have some germophobic Civs if THAT'S what they call a terrifying biome.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »

My next plan is to embark on a river that won't freeze and cross my fingers and hope the first wave of enemies comes from the other side.

I've learned the hard way that, oftentimes, zombies don't give half a shit about rivers. Even if you don't get giant raven corpses or some other flier, zombies don't have problems with water, and I've seen a few walk right through a river.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4