Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.  (Read 12443 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 11:12:11 am »

Somebody tell me please.
If i'm embarking on a wilderness+sinister biomes, will corpses killed on the zombie side revive again from a stockpile that is situated on the wilderness side?
Finis sanctificat media.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:31 am »

Nope

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

I guess to handle fliers you need a pressure-plated hatch on top right?
Don't even need the hatch to be hooked up to anything. Just have a hatch, period. Dwarves are smart enough to open it to dump something down the hole, then close it fast enough that they don't see what's actually down below (or for what's down below to come out).

Oh wait, you're thinking of if the zombie fliers can get out from underneath. Eh, just lock the hatch manually as soon as the dump is done and then pull the lever to compact the trash.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »

Embark on a volcano on that region. It'll give the a much easier way of disposing of the zombie materials.

Also cage traps are your friends. Weapon traps will simply increase the amount of zombies you have to deal with - trust me on this, it's how I lost my first fort in this version.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »

terrifying isn't that terrifying once you get used to it, just learn to bunker fast and layer all your defenses, even if it's redundant.  Something WILL get inside eventually, unless you savescum :3

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »

I'm currently doing a fortress with a 2x2 embark with a river going through the middle. The north half of the map is Untamed Wilds, and the south half of the map is Terrifying. It's like a marsh or something with a very thick aquifer layer I'm currently trying to pierce.

Anyway, how I'm doing it is, as always, I bring 2 proficient miners and picks, as well as some other basic skills, like farming and masonry and mechanics. Then, I brought plenty of bronze bars and coal in case I need to make something of metal before I breach the aquifer, and some extra stone, wood and a woodcutter. Food, drink, seeds. No animals. I had read about other people doing Terrifying biomes, and I was imagining it would be tough enough to keep dwarf zombies at bay, let alone cats, dogs, and sheep.

So I embark. Nothing too bad right away. I start by sending my miners to scout the aquifer by digging shafts on the evil side and good side, while my woodcutter cuts some wood and the rest just mill around a bit. After a little of that, I got a basic home for the dwarves dug out. Suddenly, I notice a dead purple dwarf, my leader, who, from combat logs, I found was killed by a Zombie Giant Mosquito. I decided then that it would be wise to get inside ASAP.

So, I make some Everything stockpiles, everything, that is, but corpses and refuse, and pasture the horses I got for free outside. During the long process of bringing everything inside, my woodcutter/carpenter goes to get a drink at the river, only to have his spine snapped into several pieces by a Giant Sponge. With only 5/7 dwarves, and all of them suffering a mild fever (and thankfully nothing else) from Stinking Mucus rain, I tried my best to fit everything inside before walling off the outside world.

Now, I have a pleasant little small fortress of 5 of my starting dwarves. It is nice because you can get to know each dwarf individually and train their strengths more directly, and it also makes !!SCIENCE!! experiments easier to monitor, as well as easing the issue of food and drink. Each season, I watch traders/migrants get killed by the zombies outside while my dwarves man pumps and build walls to get through the aquifer. No migrants actually makes the game a lot easier, because you don't have to constantly worry about both expansion AND survival, and you can closely monitor a small population, so vampires, for example, would be easier to single out, not to mention the large FPS boost of having only 5 dwarves.

CONCLUSION:

Evil biomes don't seem too bad. They're certainly less boring than non-evil biomes, and the challenge begins in the first seconds of embark, instead of in like the second year elsewhere, making sure that you're ready for anything pretty quickly. The extra challenge keeps experienced players both busy and entertained, and forces them to break the mold from their previous tactics in less dangerous zones.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »

I keep having a string of bad luck on embarks. As in I mark the walls/roof to protect my dwarves, the first block goes in and wham deadly rain that causes them to all go either unconscious and then die or other permanent maiming that makes them useless. I thought that the rain wasn't supposed to be a death sentence just problematic but even then one I got KOed everyone a few seconds after unpausing to start and they pretty much never recovered. Every now and then one would wake up and then fall back over.  If you can't even get a roof/wall/hole dug its really pretty hard. Once you get that then it becomes more like normal I imagine.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »

Yeah, that is bad luck. Try getting your wagon on a desert biome. If the RNG continues to screw you over at least it'll be slightly funny.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:46 pm »

I keep having a string of bad luck on embarks. As in I mark the walls/roof to protect my dwarves, the first block goes in and wham deadly rain that causes them to all go either unconscious and then die or other permanent maiming that makes them useless. I thought that the rain wasn't supposed to be a death sentence just problematic but even then one I got KOed everyone a few seconds after unpausing to start and they pretty much never recovered. Every now and then one would wake up and then fall back over.  If you can't even get a roof/wall/hole dug its really pretty hard. Once you get that then it becomes more like normal I imagine.

Rain is random :P

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »

I just learned the hard way, that being at cavern level doesn't change anything about corpses getting animated.
Seems obvious in hindsight really, but down there everything looks the same, so I kinda forgot half my embark was evil and built my graveyard on the wrong half. Cue zombie spiral.

So, has anybody had fun with undead crundles yet?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »

Adventure mode woes. *shudders*

Aim for the head, always. It's a start. From there, throw the heads down a pit.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Adventure mode woes. *shudders*

Aim for the head, always. It's a start. From there, throw the heads down a pit.

It gets tricky though, when a body jumps up right when a dorf is about to carry him to a safe location. In my case, I was getting a couple of Haulers killed which then raised and killed more Haulers, and finally there was enough of them to overhelm my military.

It's like a tantrum spiral, only more Fun.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »

That's why you layer your defenses, cage trap all major corridors/spare space, make all your important rooms partitionable and/or your forts into separable parts.  Cause your sheriff might accidentally gobbo someone or a failed mood strikes or any number of things.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:38 pm »

Yeah, that is bad luck. Try getting your wagon on a desert biome. If the RNG continues to screw you over at least it'll be slightly funny.

You know that isn't a bad idea really. I'll have to see about giving that a shot. Because yeah, 'random' for me seems to mean 'target painted on the embark' and instead of rain I get nuked. Is pretty funny though.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »

Ok. Let's consider it a vegetarian propaganda.

But tell me more, if there is any difference between sinister/haunted/terrifying biomes in case of zombies or they all [EVIL] alike and differs only in animal genus?
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4