Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.  (Read 12447 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:05 am »

Does anybody tried to build a fortress in a terrifying biome?

It's seems almost impossible, when every part of butchered animal, every piece of dead refuse resurrects again and every dwarf become scared and suspend his work.
War animals, soldiers squads and other defensive things won't help as work stops at moment of resurrection.

I'm just realized that one hunted cow can explode into TEN OR EVEN MORE ENEMIES. Bones, each on their own, skin, even hair...
FUKC.

That's true contra-dwarvish terror.
All first 7 died of minor wounds in the first month, trying to kill the same things every day.

And that malodorous goo falling from heaven.
Real horror.
Finis sanctificat media.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Terrifying biome - really TERRIFYING.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:45:26 am »

...You're doing it wrong  :P

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:28 am »

Didn't find a way to do it right.
Finis sanctificat media.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:14 am »

2 proficient miners, 3 proficient hammer/axedwarfs with proficient teaching, two farmers, no animals, bring wood and metal bars along with ample food. Dig secure lodgings A.S.A.P (or my favorite, build a safe house out of the logs. Roof is mandatory, in which case bring carpenters). Have the militaryDwarf's train 2/3 all year from the moment you embark (give them an armour/weapon rack first, near your civilians for protection), begin a deadlock/safe house network and kill everything undead to death. When it begins raining, order all to return inside, when fog appears, move everything out of the destruction path. If husks begin showing up, or the undead are in numbers too high to manage, retreat and recover. Once you've acquired sufficient military, retake the surface.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:11 am »

2 proficient miners, 3 proficient hammer/axedwarfs with proficient teaching, two farmers, no animals, bring wood and metal bars along with ample food. Dig secure lodgings A.S.A.P (or my favorite, build a safe house out of the logs. Roof is mandatory, in which case bring carpenters). Have the militaryDwarf's train 2/3 all year from the moment you embark (give them an armour/weapon rack first, near your civilians for protection), begin a deadlock/safe house network and kill everything undead to death. When it begins raining, order all to return inside, when fog appears, move everything out of the destruction path. If husks begin showing up, or the undead are in numbers too high to manage, retreat and recover. Once you've acquired sufficient military, retake the surface.
Haha.
I've digged down and walled the entrance in first two days.

Digged down 10 levelz, butchered stray cow. And build a kitchen. Meat and refuse resurrects then.
Finis sanctificat media.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:39 am »

Mmm yes, your one mistake was butchering that cow without being prepared to dispose of everything that resulted from that.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:43 am »

Yeah, animals in evil biomes are bad. Don't take them, and leave the wagon ones on the surface, or locked up somewhere nothing can get to them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:51 am »

Embark animals can be something of a pain when on a resurrecting biome, especially if you start with a ticking clock (ie. no grazing). I suggest the following:

1. Dig a cubbyhole consisting of two squares dug diagonally.
2. Make a garbage dump in the inner tile and start building a wall on the outer tile. Suspend it as close to completion as you can.
3. Build a butchery next to the cubbyhole and turn off food hauling in the Orders screen. Put a meeting area next to the butchery if it isn't in a high-traffic area, and wait until you have some idlers.
4. Butcher one of your animals, or both if you're feeling lucky.
5. Order everything dumped. Since food hauling is turned off dwarves won't waste time doing that and everything go straight to the dump.
6. Unsuspend the wall and remove the garbage zone; you won't be needing it again and all it'll do is clog up the Rooms screen. Switch on food hauling.

I thought edible items were safe? I've brought barrels of meat and other edible parts to a resurrecting biome.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:15 am »

Skin and hair parts are incredibly good at killing people.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:02 am »

I thought edible items were safe? I've brought barrels of meat and other edible parts to a resurrecting biome.
I do sense some slight exaggeration, very understandable given the panic attack from seeing all the butchered bits get reanimated. The 'meat' items and the generic bone piles are safe. But if the bones are not "generic bone" but remember they're supposed to form something bigger, then that's a problem.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:21:54 am »

You mean 'yak bone (9)' as opposed to 'yak floating rib (4)'? I assume the same goes for horn then. I vaguely recall having horn bone that had an oddly specific name. I think what the game might be doing is taking the name from the first individual part it comes across or something like that. I've had carp upper spines and nothing else coming from butchery. (No, I didn't go after them specifically, the river thawed at the edges before the middle and the carp chose the wrong end to appear at. That was pretty nice haul.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:44:01 am »

Well, what I had in mind was partial skeletons of body parts that have [GRASP] or [HEAD] somewhere in them. Floating ribs (4) etc should not come to life as they have neither [GRASP] or [HEAD]. Hair and skin only get reanimated when they come from heads or grasp appendages.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:32 am »

Does anybody tried to build a fortress in a terrifying biome?

It's seems almost impossible, when every part of butchered animal, every piece of dead refuse resurrects again and every dwarf become scared and suspend his work.
War animals, soldiers squads and other defensive things won't help as work stops at moment of resurrection.

I'm just realized that one hunted cow can explode into TEN OR EVEN MORE ENEMIES. Bones, each on their own, skin, even hair...
FUKC.

That's true contra-dwarvish terror.
All first 7 died of minor wounds in the first month, trying to kill the same things every day.

And that malodorous goo falling from heaven.
Real horror.

Well the first step (at least for me) when embarking on anywhere with undeath is to kill all the embark animals in a walled off area with an archery window (or whatever the heck its called) and then start attempting to live off of indoor crops. having a !!Cow Rear Right Leg!! kneeing people to death is not worth the meat supply (and if you have evil weather most of the wildlife gets husked or zombied within the first year or so anyway)
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:59:13 am »

You mean 'yak bone (9)' as opposed to 'yak floating rib (4)'? I assume the same goes for horn then. I vaguely recall having horn bone that had an oddly specific name. I think what the game might be doing is taking the name from the first individual part it comes across or something like that. I've had carp upper spines and nothing else coming from butchery. (No, I didn't go after them specifically, the river thawed at the edges before the middle and the carp chose the wrong end to appear at. That was pretty nice haul.)

This is more about the names than the zombies, but it's relevant to your comment... I've noticed a similar thing. When a bone carver is working on a stack of bones, you may look at it and it will say yak left floating rib [6]. When you go again to check on her, it may then say yak left leg bone [5]. I think the game is stacking all kinds of one species' bones into a stack, but remembering the names. I haven't tried any way of looking at individual bones in a stack - my impression is that this is impossible.

I have no idea how this may affect zombification, though.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:06:17 am »

I guess a trash compactor is now standard in DFVD

Does this design work?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess to handle fliers you need a pressure-plated hatch on top right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4