Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: They breed now?  (Read 3178 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They breed now?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »

Sounds pretty normal, though. I'd be peeved if I got myself caged, pleased when I got out and if it was a nice cage I'd admire it.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »

I am more curious how toady explains minotaurs.....

The greek myth has the wife of king minos (pasiphae) getting it on with the divine white bull of posidean, and popping it out after a rather unpleasant pregnancy. (It also has a proper name of asterion).

I doubt the DF version creates them in that fashion, but it would make a rather.......disturbing..... set of features if interspecies copulations produced monsters, and dwarfs had prefstrings for xenotic partners that you would need to watch out for. (Legendary animal caretaker that likes bulls for their horns and haunting moos? Well! You will *ONLY* collect chicken eggs buddy. You are staying far away from any critters of the bovine variety!)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »

Minatours appear some time before the dark ages, before history is recorded in DF. Before year 0...

So anything could be possible

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »

Now I am curious if this behavior could be modded in, and what the resulting worldgen would look like. O.o

(Gah! I need brain bleach now!)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

Haulers are left to starve, important metalworkers are pitted into a deep burrow and bars of metal are thrown at them until masterworks start coming out.

The work will continue until morale improves.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »

Simple they could be Night Creatures, I've found with some that I've made the spouse does not have to resemble the abductor, though you will still be sent on quests to kill them anyways.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »

Simple they could be Night Creatures

It's just a minatour child  :'(

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:09 pm »

The greek myth has the wife of king minos (pasiphae) getting it on with the divine white bull of posidean, and popping it out after a rather unpleasant pregnancy. (It also has a proper name of asterion).

I doubt the DF version creates them in that fashion, but it would make a rather.......disturbing..... set of features if interspecies copulations produced monsters, and dwarfs had prefstrings for xenotic partners that you would need to watch out for. (Legendary animal caretaker that likes bulls for their horns and haunting moos? Well! You will *ONLY* collect chicken eggs buddy. You are staying far away from any critters of the bovine variety!)
It would be very interesting to allow for inter-species copulation. Imagine the possibilities that doing so would enable, especially if we had a genetic framework for what genes were passed on...

Cheetahs with a rhinoceros horn and thicker skin, for example. Elephants with wings. Lions mixed with sharks. Oh my god, land sharks! I take it all back. NO! No mixing. Cancel everything I just said. The horror...

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

The possibility I immediately imagined was "Hey, I could breed some mules"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

Yes. Disturbing.

Imagine... half elf historic migrants.  I don't need to elaborate any further. It makes carp look cute and cuddly in comparison.

(But the beastman populations would have a natural source that way.)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »

The possibility I immediately imagined was "Hey, I could breed some mules"

I was sure that already happened. But it's been ages since I've played Vanilla, too.
Pages: 1 [2]