Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Mouse Fortress v1.4d for DF 34.11 - Roller Coastery Wooh!  (Read 92602 times)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Fortress v1.4b for DF 34.11 - Roller Coastery Wooh!
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »

Alright, finally got around to updating this for 34.11 (Thanks Shishimaru for the offsets!) now that finals time is over for me.
Anyway, here's a list of planned things that will be worked on in the future, listed in no particular order:
  • Auto setup of mod buildings (+ auto key assignment/conflict resolution)
  • Icon/Menu/GUI work
  • Addition of customizable GUI support similar to the existing menu/hotkey support
  • "Inertia" option for camera dragging
  • Possible dwarf therapist(?)/other utility support
  • Port for cross-platform support
  • Default menu/key work
As always, please feel free to give suggestions/feedback/bug reports/etc.  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:40:47 pm by Shukaro »
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

This is a great utility, I really missed it until Shishimaru posted the offsets.

There is no connection to DFhack now, no matter what actions I request from the DFHack menu in Mousefort I get this message: "Gate is not a recognized command/Invalid hotkey command:'Gate'."

But this error message is also shown when I am NOT using Mousefort, so I guess DFHack is the culprit.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2012, 03:44:54 pm »

This is a great utility, I really missed it until Shishimaru posted the offsets.

There is no connection to DFhack now, no matter what actions I request from the DFHack menu in Mousefort I get this message: "Gate is not a recognized command/Invalid hotkey command:'Gate'."

But this error message is also shown when I am NOT using Mousefort, so I guess DFHack is the culprit.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the error there is, best to ask around in the DFHack thread I guess. :-\

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

Uploaded a new version with some minor changes, also added a menu screenshot and a demonstration video. :)

Alon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

It works great and makes me very excited and proud of the community hackers.
However, several improvements are needed:

• Make it so if the last key pressed(except sticky keys) happened AFTER the last mouse-movement or mouse-event, it's now in "key mode" and will not move cursor to mouse anymore. this will save me from moving the mouse outside the DF window whenever I want to do quick manual key work.

• Make it so if it has to move a large and diagonal path to the mouse, choose the greater between xDistance and yDistance and shift-move 10 squares in that axis as long as that distance is larger than 10

• many times, when using keyboard controls, it's faster to shift-move 10 squares to a direction and go back 1 tile in the opposite direction, instead of moving 9 individual tiles (3 keys instead of 9. it's a big difference). Maybe you should try adding this trick to the seek mechanism, but only for extreme cases such as 9 or 8 tiles in a particular axis. It might make the cursor look a bit jumpy, but it might also make a much faster tracker overall.

• Holding shift down is tiresome. An extra key that toggles "shift mode" on and off would be very convenient and would make the duration of placing mass building/furniture as comfortable as doing so in any mouse-based game.

• The worst. Sometimes, frustratingly, a click wont register for placing a furniture in a tile with shift & leftMouseButton. You might want to look into this. The mouse may move inside the tile a bit, but both the mouse and the cursor are aligned for the whole duration of the click, so it feels very unresponsive and confusing when nothing happens. It feels like I have to freeze my mouse hand for a second before I'm allowed to click. It might come from the way you use-up/lock the keys in movement, but it might not possible to fix and not your fault at all, and in that case I am sorry.

Please get right away to coding these. I'll be in the other side of the room, iron whip in hand, and, a ‼☼Copper Whip☼‼ in the other hand, waiting for you to screw up. Seriously though, except for #5, these are all very quick to code.

Thanks for the utility and hope I didn't piss you off :D

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »

It works great and makes me very excited and proud of the community hackers.
However, several improvements are needed:

• Make it so if the last key pressed(except sticky keys) happened AFTER the last mouse-movement or mouse-event, it's now in "key mode" and will not move cursor to mouse anymore. this will save me from moving the mouse outside the DF window whenever I want to do quick manual key work.

• Make it so if it has to move a large and diagonal path to the mouse, choose the greater between xDistance and yDistance and shift-move 10 squares in that axis as long as that distance is larger than 10

• many times, when using keyboard controls, it's faster to shift-move 10 squares to a direction and go back 1 tile in the opposite direction, instead of moving 9 individual tiles (3 keys instead of 9. it's a big difference). Maybe you should try adding this trick to the seek mechanism, but only for extreme cases such as 9 or 8 tiles in a particular axis. It might make the cursor look a bit jumpy, but it might also make a much faster tracker overall.

• Holding shift down is tiresome. An extra key that toggles "shift mode" on and off would be very convenient and would make the duration of placing mass building/furniture as comfortable as doing so in any mouse-based game.

• The worst. Sometimes, frustratingly, a click wont register for placing a furniture in a tile with shift & leftMouseButton. You might want to look into this. The mouse may move inside the tile a bit, but both the mouse and the cursor are aligned for the whole duration of the click, so it feels very unresponsive and confusing when nothing happens. It feels like I have to freeze my mouse hand for a second before I'm allowed to click. It might come from the way you use-up/lock the keys in movement, but it might not possible to fix and not your fault at all, and in that case I am sorry.

Please get right away to coding these. I'll be in the other side of the room, iron whip in hand, and, a ‼☼Copper Whip☼‼ in the other hand, waiting for you to screw up. Seriously though, except for #5, these are all very quick to code.

Thanks for the utility and hope I didn't piss you off :D

Not at all, I really want people to give suggestions and feedback!

• This is a great idea, I'll definitely look at adding this in for the next version!
  • Yeah, I can certainly change up the tracking algorithm to be a bit faster, so that will be improved as well.
  • This is interesting, I'll see if it could net an appreciable speed-up.
  • I'll look into this, it may already be possible with caps-lock, but if not I'll see what I can do.
  • This is probably an issue with key timings (DF doesn't like it if multiple keys are down at the same time) so I'll see if I can do anything to improve it.

Thanks for the suggestions, if you think of anything else feel free to post them. :D

Alon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

Caps lock was the first thing that I tried, which didn't work. And it's not a good candidate key for it because it also CHaNgES LeTTERs

Well my secret desire was to get Stonesense imbued with Mouse Fortress so you could run DF minimized and play with the custom GUIs only :D but that's for later...

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

Hmm, that integration might be fairly simple to implement, I'll look into it to see what would be needed.  8)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »

Hmm, that integration might be fairly simple to implement, I'll look into it to see what would be needed.  8)
Did I just read what I think I read? Isometric DF with the ability to rotate the camra around 90 degrees? which HD sprites coming out to boot?

Might take some getting used to, but it would be a whole new experience.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Fortress v1.4c for DF 34.11 - Roller Coastery Wooh!
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2012, 03:34:13 pm »

Alright, pushed another update out, things changed: You can easily control the cursor with keys when the mouse isn't moving, the tracking algorithm was rewritten and should be faster, default adventure mode keys/menus, st flag to toggle shift.

Feel free to post any suggestions, feedback, or bug reports. :)

Kanedoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »

Using it with DFhack, when I right-click to bring up the menu, it minimizes Dwarf fortress, and changes to DFhack screen. Any way to fix this?

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:26 pm »

Could you post the menu and key files that you're using? Also what OS, etc?

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:50 am »

Just updated to mouse_1.4c, and I like the idea of it, combining the best from both worlds. In actual performance though I find the mouse both too responsive and not responsive enough.

Too much (perhaps): Edge-scrolling has become a monster of speed, I tend to overshoot a lot, like if I want to go one screen left I always end up on the outer map edge. But perhaps that's just me,  I'll probably manage when I get used to it. So don't bother with it. For now. Perhaps there can be an option on the tray menu to choose scroll speeds?

Too little (definitely): When I try to fine-adjust my cursor position with the mouse, it is very unresponsive. Like if I have *this* tile under the cursor selected and i want to select *that* one right next to it, nothing happens when I move my mouse just one tile. If I overdo it, and move the mouse cursor three-four tiles, I get a response, but then I shall have to move the cursor back again. Is it possible to find the sweet spot where the cursor is responsive to one-tile movements, and we still have the new "keyboard freedom"?

Btw DFHack is still not responding to commands from Mousefort.

DF: where imagination beats animation

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »

Just updated to mouse_1.4c, and I like the idea of it, combining the best from both worlds. In actual performance though I find the mouse both too responsive and not responsive enough.

Too much (perhaps): Edge-scrolling has become a monster of speed, I tend to overshoot a lot, like if I want to go one screen left I always end up on the outer map edge. But perhaps that's just me,  I'll probably manage when I get used to it. So don't bother with it. For now. Perhaps there can be an option on the tray menu to choose scroll speeds?

Too little (definitely): When I try to fine-adjust my cursor position with the mouse, it is very unresponsive. Like if I have *this* tile under the cursor selected and i want to select *that* one right next to it, nothing happens when I move my mouse just one tile. If I overdo it, and move the mouse cursor three-four tiles, I get a response, but then I shall have to move the cursor back again. Is it possible to find the sweet spot where the cursor is responsive to one-tile movements, and we still have the new "keyboard freedom"?

Thank you kindly for Mouse Fortress. I was wary at first, I confess, but now that I've started playing about with it I quite like it. That being said, I'm experiencing the same issue, regarding the inability to look at and target specific things easily. I'd rather it scroll slower and pinpoint what I'm targeting, personally, than get to the wrong tile twice as fast.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:39:41 pm by Taffer »

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Fortress v1.4d for DF 34.11 - Roller Coastery Wooh!
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

I've uploaded a new version, which changes cursor tracking some more. It should be faster now, and completely precise with regards to the fine control. Additionally, you can now set the minimum delay for cursor tracking, increase it to slow down tracking, and decrease it to speed it up. 20 seems to be about as fast as it can go without being noticeably 'jittery', but you can go as low as 1 for max speed. You can also enable or disable fine control, but as far as I can tell this won't offer any benefit for the majority of users.

Now as for DFHack issues I'd really like more information, because it's working perfectly for me.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14