Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Polyphasic Sleeping - A Way of Living  (Read 10457 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Polyphasic Sleeping - A Way of Living
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »

Best and the most simple (yet longest) explanation. It may make you go "TL;DR" but I'll explain what it is in one sentence; you get to sleep for 90 minutes each day and feel even more energetic. Seems crazy doesn't it? You may start your classic "but the doctors suggest 8 hours of sleep is bla bla bla" but hey, there were doctors who told us smoking was healthy. Famous scientists and artists tried this and it worked. Just read the link above. You'll find it interesting.

There are different schedules like Dymaxion, Everyman and Uberman. You need an iron... no, you need an obisidan will to pull this off. You are in deep shit if you oversleep.

I tried it 2 years ago and it didn't work well for me. I was very social at that point of my life and I simply couldn't live like that. After my epic fail, I tried the Everyman schedule but when I learnt it takes too long (more than a month) to adapt to that schedule, I gave up. Schedules work like this;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking about doing it again since my sleep schedule is crap right now. I can't fall asleep at nights, I feel sleepy even if I sleep for like 12 hours, I sleep at school and etc.

A list blogs written by people who did it.
http://jorel314.wordpress.com/projects/adventures-in-polyphasic-sleeping/
I used to write a blog myself too. It's pretty straightforward and doesn't involve anything scientific since I didn't know much 2 years ago myself and I was 16 years old ::)

Let's discuss this hardcore badass way of living.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:38:11 pm by Leatra »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polyphasic Sleeping - A Way of Living
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »

Considering it usually takes me 30 minutes to 60 minutes to get to sleep I imagine It'd waste a whole lot of time for me. Also, doesn't the lack of REM sleep impair your long term memory?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »

Considering it usually takes me 30 minutes to 60 minutes to get to sleep I imagine It'd waste a whole lot of time for me. Also, doesn't the lack of REM sleep impair your long term memory?
You only have to take REM sleep and polyphasic sleeping is about that. Adapting your body into only going for the REM phase.

It takes an hour for me to fall asleep. At the start, I didn't even fall asleep at these 20 minute naps myself. My brain started to go zombie by time and believe me, if you do this you'll find yourself asleep at the toilet before you know it. Adaptation is pain.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:06:20 pm by Leatra »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:33 pm »

the bad new is not every one is ment to sleep at the same time, the idea is that some one will be awake at most hours of the day so we dont get eaten by saber tooth tigers.
like wise the moden 8 hour block is not a natural thing to do.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »

I seem to recall a thread about this a while ago. Didn't we come to the conclusion that anyone who could manage the Uberman schedule was literally inhuman?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »

Well cool, looking at those, I am closest to biphasic, although not exactly regular in sleeping pattens... But I sleep a lot better in the afternoon than at night, so try to get a nap in then.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

I suspect it's BS. As far as I know that REM sleep is not imprescindible ( nor is NREM   unnecessary), so the basis of the theory behind the "overman sleep scheudle" is not too sound. Besides, a while ago I searched for serious coverage of this, and failed to find anything (I admit the search wasn't extremely intensive, though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), whereas I did find somewhere (I think wikipedia?) that while the US army had done some experiments on polyphasic sleep, their goal wasn't to reduce the number of hours asleep, but to divide them, and that the total should still equal the normal ammount. I suspect Overman would just result in being sleep deprived.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:34:21 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:03 am »

Batman is pretty good at this sort of thing.  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:45:29 am »

It's pretty much BS.  What it works for are things like round the world solo yacht trips and stuff, where staying up is a priority.  You will not be operating at 100%.  The natural sleep cycle people fall into when given only natural light is biphastic, usually with a short period of wakefulness in the middle of the night.  The reason most people sleep through the night these days is that they are sleep deprived.

Famous scientists and artists tried this and it worked. Just read the link above. You'll find it interesting.
Just curious, did you read the link?  It basically says that there isn't any evidence any of these people tried it, and then goes on to say it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:47:42 am by Sir Finkus »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:14 am »

Believe whatever you want. All these blogs, forums and books about it can't be a lie. It depends on people who try it. It may work or it may not work.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:44:51 am by Leatra »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 06:48:52 am »

IIRC, REM sleep isn't a necessity, since people who take sleeping pills can sleep as well as people who don't, and they sometimes have no measure periods of REM sleep.

But if people can survive sleeping like that based on the amount of blogs they have, the amount of forums they have, and the books they have, why don't I try out food free living? People say it worked for them, and there's a guru in India and everything. (Because I'd still die, that's why)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:51:26 am »

I was in a clan with a guy who literally slept only 3 hours a day and worked out/went to work/did his thing the rest of the time.  I asked him how he did it and it was pretty much something he got used to.  Takes a lot of determination, drive and the right mindset to pull off I guess. 

But yeah, this would probably work best for those who are physically fit and active. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:47 am »

He he, it appears at one point in my life I accidentally did this :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:10:41 am »

Nobody can survive on 90 minutes of sleep per day. Even the Dymaxion schedule, which is basically the harshest you'll find anyone claim to succeed at, is two hours per day (that's 4/3 as long), and nobody has claimed its success with certainty, especially if you care about it being actually sustainable.

I suspect it's BS. As far as I know that REM sleep is not imprescindible ( nor is NREM   unnecessary), so the basis of the theory behind the "overman sleep scheudle" is not too sound. Besides, a while ago I searched for serious coverage of this, and failed to find anything (I admit the search wasn't extremely intensive, though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), whereas I did find somewhere (I think wikipedia?) that while the US army had done some experiments on polyphasic sleep, their goal wasn't to reduce the number of hours asleep, but to divide them, and that the total should still equal the normal ammount. I suspect Overman would just result in being sleep deprived.

Yeah. The harsher polyphasic schedules aren't really shown to be sustainable, or necessarily even achievable, especially not the 90-120 minute ones.

Tip for anyone in this thread, including the OP: You aren't a magic man, a supersoldier, or a comic book character. You aren't going to succeed at feats of psychological/neurological/physical endurance that literally nobody has verifiably pulled off before. Or even the ones extremely few people have pulled off, considering how well-conditioned you'd have to be.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:25 am »

Meh, it's possible

I seem to recall a thread about this a while ago. Didn't we come to the conclusion that anyone who could manage the Uberman schedule was literally inhuman?  :P

But this
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5