Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Polyphasic Sleeping - A Way of Living  (Read 10441 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polyphasic Sleeping - A Way of Living
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:54 am »

Meh, it's possible

What is? It would be silly to claim that every polyphasic sleep schedule is impossible, because some aren't even that far from normal sleep in terms of hours. But that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about ones that involve sleep totals of 90-120 minutes of sleep per day, which you are not going to pull off.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 08:43:28 am »

90-120 minutes total sleep per day?

That sounds a *bit* coma inducing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:05 am »

IIRC, REM sleep isn't a necessity, since people who take sleeping pills can sleep as well as people who don't, and they sometimes have no measure periods of REM sleep.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. If REM sleep were totally unnecessary, animals wouldn't do it. Even mammals who would benefit from it (such as horses or some other quadrupeds, who need to lie down in order to get REM sleep) can't survive without REM cycles.

But if people can survive sleeping like that based on the amount of blogs they have, the amount of forums they have, and the books they have, why don't I try out food free living? People say it worked for them, and there's a guru in India and everything. (Because I'd still die, that's why)

When I was 13 or so, I remember finding forums full of people who, watching Dragonball Z, thought they could manifest ki energy and that some kind of "saiyan war" either occurred or was approaching. There are also books that can teach you how to astrally project. Please don't believe everything you read, especially not unscientific, anecdotal, totally unverifiable crap written by people who likely want to feel special or make money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:00:14 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:16 am »

This would likely, at the very least, result in depression. Sleep imbalances in which a person gets too much REM sleep relative to non-REM have been linked to depression in a pretty strong way. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200307/bedfellows-insomnia-and-depression

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:28 am »

At most you could get used to sleep deprivation and lessen the effects it has on you, but getting rid of it without sleeping?

Bah, death sentence.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:12 am »

Me not sleeping at night results in me sleeping during the day.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 12:34:53 pm »

Polyphasic sleep schedule isn't possible for most people. It takes an iron will, determination, discipline, very little social life and a crapload of alarm clocks. But you don't have to be a super soldier to pull it off. I know why most people don't believe it, there isn't much scientific data. But do you think everybody just coordinated and talked with each other to lie? There is a map of people who is doing or prepearing to do it. Yes there is no proof if these are real people. But I don't think people would just try to go for a global trolling attempt like this.

It seems impossible but it isn't. It's just very difficult. Adapting your body to only take REM sleep may sound crazy but lots of things used to sound crazy. Hundreds of years ago, if you say "Hey dudes, I think the world is like, round" everybody would just label you as a madman.

Sometimes I'm sleep for 14 hours and I still feel sleepy. It doesn't matter how much I sleep. My sleep schedule is already crap, how much crappier can it get?

The only guy who pulled of Dymaxion stopped because his wife wanted him to stop. Dymaxion is the most hardcore and close to the impossible.

I registered to a forum and told about my sleeping schedule. Let's see what people are going to say. You might want to register and troll them if you don't think this is possible :P

Oh and, REM sleep is nessecity and there are mammals who sleep with a polyphasic schedule.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:46:57 pm by Leatra »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »

But do you think everybody just coordinated and talked with each other to lie?
Welcome to homeopathy 2.0.

How many days have you been doing this, exactly?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:02:00 pm by Heliman »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:53 pm »

I'm going to go with "douchebags trolling the gullible for money and kicks" on this one.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »

It seems impossible but it isn't. It's just very difficult. Adapting your body to only take REM sleep may sound crazy but lots of things used to sound crazy. Hundreds of years ago, if you say "Hey dudes, I think the world is like, round" everybody would just label you as a madman.

Sometimes I'm sleep for 14 hours and I still feel sleepy. It doesn't matter how much I sleep. My sleep schedule is already crap, how much crappier can it get?

I've seen the colour reddish-green, and I think this is crazy. I wonder why no one's tried this for science yet  ::)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:13 pm »

Polyphasic sleep schedule isn't possible for most people. It takes an iron will, determination, discipline, very little social life and a crapload of alarm clocks. But you don't have to be a super soldier to pull it off. I know why most people don't believe it, there isn't much scientific data. But do you think everybody just coordinated and talked with each other to lie? There is a map of people who is doing or prepearing to do it. Yes there is no proof if these are real people. But I don't think people would just try to go for a global trolling attempt like this.
No, it isn't a giant trolling attempt, people are just deluded.  Millions of people believe in homoeopathy, or that vaccines cause autism.  Unfortunately, science is not a democracy.  The rules of biology don't change because a lot of people want them to.

Also, there is actually quite a bit of scientific data on sleep patterns.  The overwhelming consensus is that when humans are exposed to natural light and are allowed to sleep whenever they want, they'll fall into a biphastic schedule.

It's not impossible, just extremely unhealthy.  The fact that you need to be constantly setting alarm clocks and desperately trying to stay awake is an indication of how unnatural it is.

The reason you sleep for 14 hours in a row and still feel sleepy is likely because you are sleep deprived.  Many people have a "binge/purge" style of sleep.
The only guy who pulled of Dymaxion stopped because his wife wanted him to stop. Dymaxion is the most hardcore and close to the impossible.

I registered to a forum and told about my sleeping schedule. Let's see what people are going to say. You might want to register and troll them if you don't think this is possible :P
Cool, sounds like you found a great echo chamber.  I'm sure everyone there is unbiased and base all of their claims on scientific evidence.
Oh and, REM sleep is nessecity and there are mammals who sleep with a polyphasic schedule.
...But not our closest relatives, the great apes.  They have a biphastic sleep schedule, just like us.

Show me some scientific evidence that this is a healthy lifestyle.  Blog and forum posts are not scientific evidence.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »

I'm rooting for ya Leatra.  Nothing wrong with a bit of experimentation.  And it if turns out to work well for you then its all good.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »

It's true that there are drugs that suppress REM sleep without noticeable side effects, though. This doesn't mean that it doesn't play some significan role, but it does  suggest that at the very least it's not mortally necessary.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »

Are those actually safe long-term?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »

Are those actually safe long-term?

No one's tried it yet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5