Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Support the game, revise the article on wikipedia  (Read 2281 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Support the game, revise the article on wikipedia
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

Just for kicks I decided to google Dwarf Fortress and of course one of the first links was wikipedia. So I headed on over to be surprised by the startling lack of polish and content on the DF wikipedia article. We all know that wikipedia is a major site for gathering information, and I cannot fathom that a large number of people aren't discovering the DF article on wikipedia or looking to wikipedia for information on DF. For this reason I believe that we could attract a good number of people by polishing the DF article on wikipedia. I put in my share of edits for this night and I hope that others will join me in cleaning up the article for the sake of Toady and DF.

Suggestions to add:
Links to stories such as Boatmurdered and Nist Akath
Greater detail on the purpose and gameplay of the game
More information on features and scenarios of the game
Update pictures to more appealing and modern ones

And remember that even a small edit is appreciated and can be expanded upon by the rest of the community.

Wikipedia: Dwarf Fortress

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Magnnus ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Support the game, revise the article on wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

I would do so but I suck at wiki editing and would probably only draw those people who apparently wanted to delete the page back in 2006 with my meaningless rambling.

Like the addition of all the news articles.  From what I could make out lack of credible news attention was what was making them want to delete it back then.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

Added links to Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. Indicated (with due citations) that "alpha level" in this case is the same as "gamma level" in most other cases. Corrected two speliing mistaekes.

Good idea, we should definitely keep this article in top shape.

fox has become enraged!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

Haven't DF been mentioned by yahoo already? How much "news" attention do they need?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

Well, as a newbie to this game, I can see alot of improvement in the starting guide. I have an idea to kind of a walkthrough through the initial setup (basically, getting enough food to survive, digging).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cajoes:
<STRONG>Haven't DF been mentioned by yahoo already? How much "news" attention do they need?</STRONG>

All the news attention they can get.
This is a donationware.  :)

fox has become enraged!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cajoes:
<STRONG>Haven't DF been mentioned by yahoo already? How much "news" attention do they need?</STRONG>

I havn't read any yahoo news in my life, so probably some news to those who doesn't surf on yahoos site.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: TheSpaceMan ]

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:00 am »

News or not news, Dwarf Fortress deserves a proper Wikipedia entry. I made the story aspect a little bit more prominent (sneaked into History section, including a more prominent link to Boatmurdered), added a little bit to Adventurer Mode, and created a Reception section...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>Added links to Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. Indicated (with due citations) that "alpha level" in this case is the same as "gamma level" in most other cases. Corrected two speliing mistaekes.

Good idea, we should definitely keep this article in top shape.</STRONG>

All things considered, the development and patch schedule of Dwarf Fortress, a game in alpha which survives on donations alone, compares favorably to that of World of Warcraft, a commercial game that costs twenty to sixty dollars American plus a regular monthly fee. Consider the relative status of bug fixes, added content, expanded gameplay...

Go Toady go. Your pre-release alphas are more free from bugs than a game that's been commercial for over three years. YOU WIN.  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

Also, the screenshot in that article is from the 2d version. This must be corrected.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

I'm glad to see that people are taking up the task.

I just added some more information on personalities, but there is still a great deal to Dwarf Fortress that the article does not cover.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

My suggestion: FIX THE PICTURE.

There are so many possibilites...

-A magma forge and surroundings
-An epic battle with goblins
-An ordinary fortress, but one that is quite in-depth (Think Copperblazes but in the new version. We don't want some lame-ol' fort picture from 2 minutes into the game. Or that could be a good idea, if it were compared with five hours into the game. Before/After)

I think we need about 3 pictures to show dwarf fortress in all its glory.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Lazer Bomb ]

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

Well, some better screens wouldn't hurt, for example one or two for the fortress mode section and another one for the adventurer mode, or so, maybe more..? Probably should go in proper relation to how long the actual text is.

Maybe people have some actual screens to show off? We could gather them in this thread first to see what's most fitting...

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Addsome 3dwarf pics that ell hook em!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: [1] 2