Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A problem with vampires  (Read 4867 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
A problem with vampires
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »

I've ran into the following issue:
My resident vampire, who has been locked up for the past 4 years, does not drink.
As a result, he has the "cannot remember the last time he had one"  thought about drinks.
This means he is working gruesomely slow. I need him to explore the caverns, but it takes him about a full month to dig 2-3 tiles. Gonna take ages.
He does have a barrel of his personal favourite drink, as well as some dwarven wine, in his personal booze stockpile. But, since he never gets the thirsty status, he never drinks.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A problem with vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »

Tried blood?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

Hmm good one. I forgot to try. I'll buy a barrel of blood from the next caravan, who knows, perhaps it will work.
will post !!SCIENCE!! results once I get them.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

I was referring to children myself but whatever, your call I guess...

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:00 pm »

I'd like to take the chance and ask: how come dwarves are alcohol dependant? 'Cos they have that tag on the creaturestandard.txt and taking it out still leaves them with "Needs Alcohol to get through a working day" trait :(
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

I'd like to take the chance and ask: how come dwarves are alcohol dependant? 'Cos they have that tag on the creaturestandard.txt and taking it out still leaves them with "Needs Alcohol to get through a working day" trait :(

I think individuals can still get this personality trait even if their species isn't alcohol dependent.  I've seen it on ponies in the pony mod and they're not alcohol dependent.

My guess is that all dwarves will acquire this trait anyway by having alcohol dependency, and even removing the tag won't remove the trait.  Completely conjecture of course.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:28 am »

Bought some cow blood and animal man blood from the caravans. As I suspected, no cigar. Vampire no likey old, non-dwarven blood from a barrel.

I wonder, if I give him a child, if he will report the corpse as dead, and bury it inside it's walled off lair.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »

Only one way to know.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101251.msg3036984#msg3036984

It's an old problem and has been known for a long time, since people used to cheat adding the [NO_DRINK] tag and forgot to remove the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »

My guess is that all dwarves will acquire this trait anyway by having alcohol dependency, and even removing the tag won't remove the trait.  Completely conjecture of course.

If that is true, then DF2012 introduces alcohol addiction :P

I can confirm this is not the case for DF2010

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »

Bought some cow blood and animal man blood from the caravans. As I suspected, no cigar. Vampire no likey old, non-dwarven blood from a barrel.

I wonder, if I give him a child, if he will report the corpse as dead, and bury it inside it's walled off lair.
I'm picturing a child chained to the floor in the middle of an otherwise empty room, with a flood gate on one side, and a walled off hallway on the other.  A lever in the hallway is pulled, the floodgate opens, and Urist McBloodSucker walks into the chamber ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »

I'm picturing a child chained to the floor in the middle of an otherwise empty room, with a flood gate on one side, and a walled off hallway on the other.  A lever in the hallway is pulled, the floodgate opens, and Urist McBloodSucker walks into the chamber ...
Don't worry, the child would be asleep before anything happened.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

It's an old problem and has been known for a long time, since people used to cheat adding the [NO_DRINK] tag and forgot to remove the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag.
Been there, done that.

It doesn't seem possible to add the 'remove tag: alcohol dependency' line to vampires, but how about changing the existing 'add these tags' line to exclude NO_DRINK?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »

Been there, done that.

It doesn't seem possible to add the 'remove tag: alcohol dependency' line to vampires, but how about changing the existing 'add these tags' line to exclude NO_DRINK?

Viz. the thread linked to.

Vampire syndromes aren't present in the raws, not that I could find. It's possible for a syndrome to remove tags as well as to add them, so if you could edit them doing it either way would be OK.

Edit: Upon further consideration it was pretty stupid of me to assume CE_REMOVE_TAG would work with alcohol dependency, as it works with pretty limited things. Would need testing, but may very well not.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:02:56 pm by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:56 pm »

Edit: Upon further consideration it was pretty stupid of me to assume CE_REMOVE_TAG would work with alcohol dependency, as it works with pretty limited things. Would need testing, but may very well not.
Yes, I know about that thread. I figured it would work okay with the standalone tags, as all the other added tags and ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT are, and since you're modifying the arguments in an existing tag it's less likely to need a regen than adding an argument-taking tag. What are the restrictions on CE_REMOVE_TAG?

I'm not sure what you mean by vampire syndrome. I thought you might be talking about the stuff in interactions examples\interaction_vampire.txt, but you know where CE_REMOVE_TAG is supposed to go.

I wish I had some vampires to experiment on.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2