Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Vampires  (Read 1545 times)

Achanei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Vampires
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:21 am »

Is it a special feature of my particular world that all vampires so far are animalmen, pretty badass killers but quite weak? i had so far 3 kill-quests for vamps, one was an olm-man hunter posing as law-giver with 1600 kills only equipped with clothing and a copper crossbow (the one bolt she shot was pretty dangerous though), another one an amphibian man spearmaster with 2800 kills (o.O) which i kinda two-shotted (my char is dual wielding scimitars with pretty high sword skills by now, so, well...) and the only one who at least did put up a fight was another amphibian man spearmaster with about 600 kills - this guy had some decent amount of cultists and might even have hurt me, if he had something better than a copper spear (iron armor ftw...)

so, what i figured: there is some first master vamp somewhere in a amphibian tribe out there genereating all those vamps that now lurk around in human settlings - that would explain why they all are non-human. Of course, this makes finding a vamp kind of...."well, in this village are 25 peasants and an amphibian man speamaster wearing 3k goddamn human bone rings....im pretty sure the miller is the vampire!"

moreover, those leeches have been pretty weak so far, makes me kinda sad.

Did anyone else get strange frogvampires? im playing on a medium-sized world, but the area im runnign around is kind of a savannah/steppes island not THAT large, this may also play a role.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: On Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:29 pm »

the first thing my most successful adventurer to date did was check the starting hamlet for companions.

in the third house i checked, i saw a flashing "r"

"what is this?" i asked myself

i (l)ooked, and saw it was a reptile man master blowgunner.

"why is a reptile man living at peace in a human hamlet?"

(accuse)

"I AM THE VAMPIRE REPTILEMAN MCBADDISGUISE
PREPARE TO DIE!"

said vampire was killed by the swarm of menials he was living with....  i only brused him three times with my starting maul.

i reported my "success" to the peasant who killed him, and immediately became a legend.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »

Vampires tend to walk around a bit, it's a fair bet he's a long way from home. They're heavily weighed down by jewelry, so slow. Their 3000 kills are mostly night time sleeper kills. If they kill one peasant a day(night) by draining him/her of blood, they just need 10 years. Now many don't score that high on kills/day, but if you have a 300 year world gen, you'll get there easily
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:25 pm »

I find that vampires average around a dozen+ kills per year.

... which is still enough to hit 3000+ in 200 years or so.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

I've noticed a similar proliferation of animal man vampires, especially late in worldgen. In fact, one human civ I saw had a succession of animal-man vampire law-givers for the last 200 years. One would take the throne, then be continually challenged by others until he/she was killed, then the assassin would take over. I think this has something to do with animal men often becoming leaders of criminal groups and then somehow in a position to profane temples?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:56:46 am »

I've noticed a similar proliferation of animal man vampires, especially late in worldgen. In fact, one human civ I saw had a succession of animal-man vampire law-givers for the last 200 years. One would take the throne, then be continually challenged by others until he/she was killed, then the assassin would take over. I think this has something to do with animal men often becoming leaders of criminal groups and then somehow in a position to profane temples?
i would imagine so.  its also the only way goblins seem to get vamped.

see, the temples sometimes have access to the sewers, by way of the catacombs some have.  i imagine the criminals somehow make their way through the sewers, dungeon, catacombs to scrawl graffiti on the walls.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time