Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Controlling what is brewed at a still.  (Read 2480 times)

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling what is brewed at a still.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Another thought is simple, set up a total of 2 new sections capable of being closed off per still...and probably a 3'rd nearby spot/room (dosn't need to be able to close off)

Now for how to work it...simple diagram.

|1|2|3f|

Section 3f is of course the 3'rd spot that is normally connected to the fortress.

Section 1 has the still, sleeping arrangements, and everything needed to keep the brewer happy and alive.

Section 2 is the intermediate area, that will be used for stockpiles..think of it as an airlock.

Section 3f is the fortresses section for exporting/importing.

Most probably get the idea of whats going on but I'll continue.

When the brewer is making his brew section 1 and 2 are open to each other, and closed off to 3f.  Section 2 will have a stockpile that accepts whatever you want to brew (and of course will currently have the item in it).  It will also have a stockpile that accepts the brews that the brewer makes.

When you wish to refill the area and take out his trade goods its simple.  3F will have one stockpile that accepts the items to make the brew out of.  Close the brewer inside of section 1 (I'd suggest have a small stockpile inside for him to continue brewing if at all possible) then open section 2 to 3f.  Now set 3f's stockpile to only accept brew..and 2's stockpile to only accept the items to make the brew with.  Once 2 is out of brew and full of things to make brew with..close section 2 off from 3f..and open it back up to 1.

Very simple airlock type system.  Now if you want to be fancy you can find a way using levers, water, and the like to push items around so airlocks are not needed.

Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling what is brewed at a still.
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>Make sure that the stockpiles don't overlap, either. Or, even more specifically, make sure a still and its associated stockpile have a bit of X/Y distance from the other still and stockpile. I set up a mason shop to clear stones out of an area, but after getting rid of the ones that were directly around his shop, he went to the level below for more stones that were under the shop instead of the ones that were just a few steps away. Not sure if they still do this with multiple Z levels, however, but probably better to be safe.</STRONG>

That's not overlapping that's the problem, the dwarf is just looking for the stone that is the shortest direct line path from him (Basically, the lowest X+Y+Z distances).  Pathfinding only occurs <after> a dwarf picks his supplies.

Basically, a dwarf's thought process goes something like this:

"Hmm, I'm finished with this mechanism, and the manager wants me to make more.  I need some stone.  Let's see, there is stone just across the hall.  That's three steps.  But there's also stone directly under my shop.  That's only one step away.  I'll use that."

<goes>

You went the wrong way Old King Urist
Pages: 1 [2]