Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Controlling what is brewed at a still.  (Read 2479 times)

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlling what is brewed at a still.
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

Is there any way to control what a specific still can brew?  My starting point was on top of a mountain with a brook with the tree line and gatherable plants 9 z-levels below that so I have two different plant stockpiles quite a ways from each other.  I would like to have one still up high that brews subterrainean plants and one down on the ground that brews above ground plants.  Is there any way to do this outside of relying on dwarven logic and hoping they go after the closest plant to the still?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling what is brewed at a still.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »

Nope. Just place plant stockpiles which accept only the appropriate plants as close as possible to your still and rely on dwarven logic..
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Nope. Just place plant stockpiles which accept only the appropriate plants as close as possible to your still and rely on dwarven logic..</STRONG>

That's what I thought.  Hopefully they will figure this out and not run laps around my mountain getting the furthest plant possible.  :(

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

Go to the Kitchen submenu under "z" and turn off brewing for the plants you don't want them to use. Same idea for controlling what to cook into prepared meals.

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Freddybear:
<STRONG>Go to the Kitchen submenu under "z" and turn off brewing for the plants you don't want them to use. Same idea for controlling what to cook into prepared meals.</STRONG>

Right but I want one still to only brew Plump Helmets and the other to only brew Wild Strawberries.  That is the problem-I have to allow both from the kitchen sub-menu which means both stills can use them.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

Expanding on the stockpiles idea, disallow the other type of plants in each stockpile and you're guaranteed that they won't ever run really far to get a plant.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Oh, sorry, I missed the part about *specific* stills. Putting a specific stockpile right next to the still will work until that pile goes empty, then the brewer there will go to the other pile, or until he's "on break" and picks up something from the other pile on his way back to the job.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

Make sure that the stockpiles don't overlap, either. Or, even more specifically, make sure a still and its associated stockpile have a bit of X/Y distance from the other still and stockpile. I set up a mason shop to clear stones out of an area, but after getting rid of the ones that were directly around his shop, he went to the level below for more stones that were under the shop instead of the ones that were just a few steps away. Not sure if they still do this with multiple Z levels, however, but probably better to be safe.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

Why does "Rely on dwarven logic!" strike me as a curse?

:-)

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Expanding on the stockpiles idea, disallow the other type of plants in each stockpile and you're guaranteed that they won't ever run really far to get a plant.</STRONG>

That's exactly what I said. The appropriate plants.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 06:03:00 am »

Whoops.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:34:00 am »

Along these lines,
in the cook/brew screen (and I know I'll sound dumb asking this, but...) is red enable or blue enable? I'd assume blue, but red looks like it's lighter than the blue, so I should make sure.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

Hi!

Blue is enabled, red is disabled.

Good luck! And really be careful about the z-level thing.

Deathworks

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

you can do what I did, and farm lots of whip vines to the point that you have so many they wilt on the field and nearly all alcohol brewed is whip vine wine.  As long as you have dirt and grass, you can make a plot, maybe not far from the base entrance out out of the traffic area, and set the farmers to it.  In case of ambush, the entrance is not far away.
igless

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

There are many advantages to centralized brewing and cooking, even if you tie up a hauler or two.  The only time I ever gather is to get seeds I never had before.

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: greggbert ]

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!
Pages: [1] 2