Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament  (Read 20701 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.10 Tournament
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »

Started up a DECj after a break and I've found the best body slot armor ever - a robe of resistance.  :o

I am going to die a terrible terrible death unless I play super cautiously.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »

I've discovered Tengu Fire Elementalists. They're great - tons of damage, conjure flame gives you decent utility, what could go wrong?

I can.

First one gets to like level 11, where I'm down in the lair. I go "Ha, sticky flame should make short work of this spiny toad!" I swear that toad was like at 1 HP when it killed me.

Second one gets to level 9 and finds a five-headed hydra on D:7 for some reason. I get scared and run down a level, but muster the courage to go back. My reasoning is that I could get some good damage off if I get a good distance between myself and the hydra, so I turn a corner and WELL WHAT DO YOU KNOW, IT'S RIGHT THERE AND TWO THIRDS OF MY HEALTH IS GONE.

I kite it around a toadstool and read a random scroll, which turns out to be a scroll of fear. Saved! The stairway is like two steps away! "But wait a second, there's a helpless hydra over there that's just begging to get hit by sticky flame..." Turns out the fear on those scrolls doesn't last very long.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2012, 01:28:39 am »

I've gotten into the habit of running, screaming, from Sigmund if I see him on one of the early dungeon levels. I'm pretty sure this is a reasonable response.

EDIT:
Sigmund on D2 and a centaur with arrows of dispersal on D3. Game...
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2012, 03:31:51 am »

I'm pretty sure, from a game design standpoint, that the whole point of Sigmund is to teach people early on that in Crawl, running screaming from dangerous monsters is often the best play. So yeah, good job :)

/and of course, to kill you a lot
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:49 am »

Been trying to win Ke/Te fire elementalists pretty much for as long as I've been playing Crawl, and not managed it yet. Still working on it though.

IMO, Tengu are one of the hardest species to win with, and others seem to agree, as they're always among the species with the fewest wins in tournaments.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:19 am »

I think I have one more serious run at it left in me, and I'm trying to decide what to play.  I think I've given most builds except a transmuter a try, so perhaps one of those...

I've actually done fairly well for myself this tourney- my percentage of games which are "serious" [as defined as I make it to the Lair] is way above my usual run of D3 splats.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:16 am »

Just thought that I'd mention, in case it hadn't been noticed, but the Forgotten Beasts are currently #3 on the Clan Combo Standings. I, personally, am at #2 in the individual standings, although since I'm only above #3 by 1 combo, I wouldn't be surprised to see me fall from this lofty hight.

Anyway, we're only 10 combos behind #2. If you've got some extra time, check out the bottom of this list: http://seleniac.org/crawl/tourney/12a/combo-scoreboard.html and play one of the combos. Get up to level 5ish, and it's yours.

Just don't steal the couple of low ones that belong to me :p

edit:

Hey, just noticed something else:
37 1538 Bay 12 Vampires lerugray (captain), Porter, Xgamer4, ajikeshi, penguin
38 1537 Bay 12 Recruits Un67 (captain), Frumple3, KarlitoH, StToaster, flord, 

Vampires and Recruits are off each other by 1 point.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:44:33 am by AlStar »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:02 am »

I fixed both of those by nabbing a combo (MiFE) from Neil- I almost started a DrAM before I noticed who had it.  Go Recruits!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:33 am »

Been trying to win Ke/Te fire elementalists pretty much for as long as I've been playing Crawl, and not managed it yet. Still working on it though.

I said I was still working on it - and I finally did it

It would have been nice to go for more runes, but I felt Slime would have been too dangerous without rCorr, I didn't want to get stuck in Pan or Abyss and unable to find the exit before the end of the tournament, and Hell is hell (and so is Tomb.) Also, I could easily have died.

So I guess that's my last significant game of the tournament, though I might still try to grab some of the combo high scores for the lowest-ranked combos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2012, 01:28:13 pm »

Well just won another character.  Not really the optimum god or combo for points, but eh... a fair few points from runes and orb.  Minotaurs with 27 UC are just godly.

I'm now gonna go sniping for combos.  DESt (of Kiku, aka a necromancer), you're mine.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2012, 01:53:57 pm »

Blehbleh. S'over in five hours, innit? S'not enough time for me to do much, meh, and don't really feel like playing anyway.

Didn't think I'd get around to playing much, but didn't think I'd play so little, either. That save-file buggery really threw me off :-\

Anyway, yeah. Worst personal showing of the tourneys so far. Probably sit the next one out unless I'm actually bitten by the crawl bug when it rolls around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »

It's over in a little under 30 hours, not five. <_<
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »

... color me confused, then. Guess I thought it was the 11th, my time. Anyway, it'd be... 28 hours, thereabouts. Little less, I think.

Still probably not going to try again, I'unno. Maybe it'll bite me later this afternoon. I didn't expect to have such thorough ennui toward crawl at the time when I offered to jump in :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KJC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

Well, my DrCj passed on, swarmed in Vaults:8.  At least he went down in a blaze of glory.  No more wins for me.  Time for combos.

KJC3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »

Well, as it turned out, a high score attempt turned into a legit game.  I played a HoAs as if it were a HoFi.  It honestly should've been a win, but I had to race the damn clock to try to get the game in in time, so I got mangled, again, in Vaults:8.  The encounter was definitely manageable, but I'm just really no good at playing quickly.  Oh well. 

Good tourney for me.  My first win, 4 total chars with runes.  Good times had for sure.  Vampires, you've got an hour and a half to overtake us.  Good luck!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15