Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How the hell do I avoid starving to death?  (Read 2565 times)

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How the hell do I avoid starving to death?
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:10 am »

I know that you can buy food in towns (I did it myself with my first adventurer by trading his pants for some), and I don't think I'm ever going to have to worry about dying of thirst (I'm so metal that I can survive by sucking blood spatters out of my shirt! RAAAAAAAAAHR!), but I'm absolutely boned if I have to go on any long overland trips because I've no idea how to transform the local wildlife into delicious steaks. Can it be done at all, or do I have to rely entirely on trade/theft with NPCs?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: How the hell do I avoid starving to death?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:04:58 am »

Find animals. Fight them. Stand on their corpse with a sharp weapon in your hand and press x, selecting the corpse for butchering. Pick up meat, tripe, organs, etc and devour messily.
Alternatively, you can look around villages in houses for sacks full of plants free for the taking. Sometimes you get really lucky and find bags of 100 rat weed or whatever.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:48 am »

some animals are too small to butcher

sharp weapons include swords, daggers, axes, spears possibly and sharp stones
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:35 am »

Yeah, sharp stones count.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:49 am »

Ah, X. For some reason that was one button I never thought to use, because it didn't do anything useful in the previous version and I'd forgotten all about it.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:41:31 am »

some animals are too small to butcher

sharp weapons include swords, daggers, axes, spears possibly and sharp stones

And arrows :D

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:21:23 am »

Morningstars too~

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

Ah, X. For some reason that was one button I never thought to use, because it didn't do anything useful in the previous version and I'd forgotten all about it.

Its button used for necromancy these days! And firebreathing! Oh wait, no dragon...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:05 am »

Its button used for necromancy these days! And firebreathing! Oh wait, no dragon...
Not only firebreathing. Throwing fireballs (fire imp), retracting into a bodypart (Armadillo and giant tortoise), spraying webs (GCS) and more.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:44 am »

(I'm so metal that I can survive by sucking blood spatters out of my shirt! RAAAAAAAAAHR!)

might wana reconsider doing that, you could get vampire blood on you, that or some sort of poison blood from clowns/forgotten beasts/whatever other monster has poison blood.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:33 am »

There are bags of berries and seeds in certain villages in large sacks - grab one, and you will have a lot of food for some time. Alternatively, I believe edible plants can be found in the wilderness.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:30 am »

They can't. Try to pick one up and you'll set it on fire.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:11 am »

Yep, definitely something that should be implemented soon (i.e. gathering berries etc. in the wilderness) ...
it is always strange to see that the only thing you can use berry carrying bushes for is setting them on fire

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:36 am »

you may not want to grab a bag with 100+ beries. You can also take 20 of the 100 in this version, much easier. Also nice to remember: you do not need money. The stuff sold in shops is worse than what you find in castles in the towns, and once you get a bit better at finding animals to butcher (and catching up with them, ambush and throwing arrows/bolts is your friend here). The fact that you don't have to loot bodies anymore to get money to buy the next best weapon or armor, makes it easier to travel light.

Hang on to:
crutch, they're rare and you don't want to have to go looking when you do need one,
bucket, carries 10 water. Yes you can survive on blood splatters or by wading into a pond, climbing out and drinking the water from your clothing. However, this may not be a workable strategy in an evil scorchin dessert.

A good strategy if you plan on retiring an adventurer is to dump his gear in a lair where it will be saved. Ready to go gear for your next adventure.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:46 am »

Become a vampire or a necromancer.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.
Pages: [1] 2