Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does water flow up?  (Read 2286 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does water flow up?
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

I wanted to give my dwarves a nice indoor water source, and I didn't go for a well because I hear they tend to crash the game. So, I dug out an aqueduct from the nearby brook which is at the same altitude as this pool. After a minor flooding, which was contained by my floodgates (boy, am I glad I installed those) I finally set the water in motion. The water in the aqueduct got to 7/7 pretty fast, but it's been a whole season and none of it is making it's way up into the pool. The only connection between pool and aqueduct is a stairway, so could this be a problem?
Side view:

--|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|------------|_x_|-
-------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~x---
---------------------------------------

~ - water
- - ground
| - wall
x - stairs (the bottom ones are flooded)

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does water flow up?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

I'd think your setup would work. It should flow to the point where the surface level of the water source and your pool are even.

I know water will flow down stairways, but maybe it has a bit of trouble flowing up?

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

My understanding is that there's no "pressure" yet, so no, water won't flow up and equalize surface levels between two bodies.  This effect also makes it possible to tap magma below the surface.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

It may need to be 1 level below the top? I haven't tested it fully.

I do know for sure that it does flow up, as in one of my early attempts at a fortress (before I knew water had pressure) I built a tunnel into my fort with a channel for a drinking spot inside. It was a few levels below the river, and the water flowed down through the hole, across the tunnel, and then up through the 1x1 drinking channel. It kept coming, and I stopped it by capping off my lower level with a floor tile on my stairs before the water level was too high on the level above. I didn't check to see how far it would have eventually risen.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Kajotex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kajotex.de.vu/
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

i had the same problem when trying to build a  well.

the water shot up through the hole and made several 7er water spots.. look at the pic:

the 3x3 room southwest of my barracks was my "well" room before it became the pool.
I later switched to "numbers for water" and it were all 7er tiles.
i tried to flood my fortress yesterday as my dwarfs had to hunt for vermin to get food and were dieing because i had nothing to drink.

so i removed the door and the water felw out. but it never really flooded anything.it seems the water just flew out of the room and scatered o n the floor. later the rooms were dry or had just 1er tiles of water.
but the well room was several levels below the original river.
so it seems there is some kind of "initial pressure" but the program "forgets" about it after a while.

oh I had to dig out the last 4 tiles to th enext water room to flood my fortress btw.

cans maketh hoel!

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

I've had the opposite experience. Water doesn't seem to act with pressure for me. I think it's worth testing though... Try digging something like this.

code:
Side View
Start here (with still water on the left side), and dig out the tile designated *.
#~~#..#
#~~#..#
#~~#..#
#~~#..#
#~~#..#
#~~#..#
#~~*..#
#######
Does it become the example on the left or right?
#..#..#        #..#..#
#~~#..#        #..#..#
#~~#..#        #..#..#
#~~#..#        #~~#~~#
#~~#..#        #~~#~~#
#~~#..#        #~~#~~#
#~~~~~#        #~~~~~#
#######        #######
No pressure    Pressure

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

a water tile needs to be 7/7 units full to flow upwards, and have all surrounding water do the same. If you have a 2x2 corridor, you'll need all 4 squares on one level full of water before the rest of it flows upwards.

Also, the water will only flow upwards to the source of the water; it will equalize in water level

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

There's a thread about this on the bug report forum.  I'm not going to go look it up right now.  Toady explains in it.

My understanding is that water does exert pressure, but that it doesn't exert pressure on a x/7 basis, but instead on the basis of an entire z-level.  Because of this, you're likely to see pressure situations leading to error by a single z-level.

It's confused by the fact that magma has different fluid dynamics than water, and does NOT exert pressure at all.

Here, let me give an example:

code:

% % %
%7% %
%7%7%
%777%
%%%%%

The above situation is stable.  The water on the higher z-level doesn't push the lower water up, because the game thinks that the higher water would become lower than the lower water-- even though it might go to 4/7 and 3/7, it doesn't quite realize that, and leaves the water as is.  This situation is analogous to your swimming pool.

Consider another situation:

code:

%7% %
%7% %
%7%7%
%777%
%%%%%

This situation is not stable, and you'll see the effects of water pressure, with equalization of the water.  With one fewer z-squares of water on the right, you might end up with an equilibrium like I showed in the previous diagram (not sure about how inertia works).

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Nil Eyeglazed ]

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>a water tile needs to be 7/7 units full to flow upwards, and have all surrounding water do the same. If you have a 2x2 corridor, you'll need all 4 squares on one level full of water before the rest of it flows upwards.

Also, the water will only flow upwards to the source of the water; it will equalize in water level</STRONG>

There is your answer, your 1x1 tile of stairs doesnt allows the water pressure to take effect, you will need at least  a 2x2 tile of stairs or open space to allow the water to flow up!

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Kill the necromancer!

Not to mention that if water flows up, it's always the result of a u-bend or pump.