Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: You Are Freedom Fighter(The Docks(MHAG Patrol))!  (Read 20168 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Freedom Fighter(The Docks(MHAG Patrol))!
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »

I can support the "just before", if we don't want to keep the MHAGs and are willing to move with clock against us.

Otherwise, I suppose just after they clock in might be a good idea as well.

Either way, I'm still opposed to a fire. I'd rather they send in reinforcements based on a few missing mechs than reinforcements based on a few missing mechs and a raging inferno.

My apologies. I just figured a fire wouldn't warrant MHAGs, but the local guards would check it out simply out of curiosity. There's no reason a random civilian fire would bring military attention like that. While civilian firefighters are funneling crowds and fighting the fire, the MHAGS will either ignore it, giving us the base advantage of sneaking through crowds and allowing us to operate without notice, or modify their routes as they travel to investigate the fire, giving us an opportunity to catch a number of them together then take our the straggler(s). Of course, this all boils down to the GMs preferred political standpoint, as both of my ideas are viable yet mutually exclusive to two very different worlds. One has military units not intrude in an obviously non-military matter, and another has military fulfilling a universal role in which they would actually be called in for such a thing. Aka, a random fire, should firefighters arrive, has no reason to attract the attention of random police officers who have better things to do. This is a simple case of Specialization vs. Generalization. =) Modern societies favor specialization, as does most scifi/modern-drama, therefore it was my assumption that they wouldn't call in more of the apparently limited-supply of MHAGs for a simple warehouse/building fire.

:)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2012, 05:22:24 pm »

Perhaps, and the specialization assumption is a fair one to make. I'll concede that.

However the MHAG as we've seen them seem to be more than just police-type units. I mean, sure, they're basically just going around like beat cops but they're also giant mecha which would, hypothetically, respond to a fire in order to help with it. Even if they didn't respond to the fire directly, the increased number of government units in the area would certainly bring an even greater risk to us. More people who aren't neutral that might see the attack.

Let's assume, though, that we go through with that plan. We start a fire, and we use the civilian mob as cover to attack the MHAG. First, given their beat cop-like role thus far, they're likely to be the ones directing the masses so that the fire fighters can do their job efficiently. This would cause issues with hitting as many as possible in the limited range of our EMP.
Let's assume, though, that you're completely correct about the specialization. They don't even do that, the fire department has, like, director-drones or something to tell people which way to go. Even then, we'd be a group of armed civilians moving through the crowd. Probably against the crowd actually. The firefighter units will probably have cameras equipped, and we're going to stick out. These units are likely monitored back at fire department HQ, which no doubt has the means to contact MHAG HQ once we've been spotted on their live feeds.
Ignoring that, there is still the issue of the civilians. Now, I'm sure Zera doesn't give a damn if we accidentally gun down a few random citizens, use them as human shields, or accidentally stop a few pace-makers in the EMP blast. The kids, however, might and I really see no reason to antagonize them further. But even if the kids didn't care about hurting civilians, the civilians certainly do care. And, once again, we're probably going to stick out like a sore thumb in all the commotion. If Joe Plumber's son is gunned down in the firefight, right before his very eyes, and the ISN makes us out to be the ultimate bad guys in all of this (and we will be, as soon as we started the fire they had plenty of real fodder to use), do you really think Joe Plumber isn't going to collaborate with the authorities? Even if he hates ISN? We did, after all, start the firefight that killed his son, who may have lived a long and somewhat fruitful life even under this horrific regime.

What I'm saying is that we should be trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:26:45 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »

I like your style.

But alas, I must go out with my cousin for dinner.

Do what I do. When the players are in doubt, take the best of each idea and then do what you wish as a GM. Can't just go with what we want ALL the time. ;)

We've spent enough time on this. Next turn away! :D
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »

Do what I do. When the players are in doubt, take the best of each idea and then do what you wish as a GM. Can't just go with what we want ALL the time. ;)

We've spent enough time on this. Next turn away! :D

I'm for this.
Or alternatively, if someone else suggests something just go with that entirely as the tie-breaker.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

Sarah and Zera argue for a while on what they should do, making the rest of the group look around anxiously to see if anybody is overhears them. Fortunately, no one does.
So deciding to agree to disagree, Sarah heads off to light a building on Aïkio street,noting the Guardsmen heading that way, while Zera searches for a good place to plant the EMP satchel.
A light post offers a good solution, and she drops it casually near it, and heads into a back alley after circling around.

The building catches fire magnificently...
Then something explodes in it, then something else does, punctuating the Docks with explosions.
The entire street has been damaged from the fire and shrapnel of the Fuel Warehouse being lit on fire, and several civilians are injured or dead.

One of the Pilots notices a flaming barrel rolling out of the warehouse towards the crowd and stops it with the MHAG's foot. Upon hitting the Kevlar reinforced metal, the fire on the barrel goes out.
Then it flares up brightly, and explodes with more explosive power then a barrel of gas should have. The MHAG's leg is blown out from under it, making the pilot swear in fluent Eastern as it falls onto the pavement

The Pilots, take quick stock of the situation, and the speakers begin to say something...But before they can do anything, Zera activates the EMP. The blue light flashes through the street, adding a nice contrast to the blazing red of the warehouse. The Patrol powers down, and the party can hear the swearing from a distance.

What Now?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:45:29 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »

Wait
why were we even doing this, again? I thought we were trying to infiltrate a warehouse? Whatever. It doesn't matter.

The party should close in on the disabled MHAGs, killing any ISN officers who emerge from the machines (or forcibly removing them and then killing them, if necessary)
Then: Anyone with technical know-how quickly works to hijack any MHAGs that havent had major pieces blown off. The MHAGs are then distributed first to Zera, and then any party member who has the technical know-how to be useful in one.
At this point, any party member who isn't necessary for combat should retreat as quickly and safely as possible to serve as a support role. Those in MHAGs, or those who aren't but still stick around to fight, are to head to whatever warehouse or factory we were originally trying to attack.

And then...um...while the MHAGs are blowing their way in from one side, the "support" team is to attempt to infiltrate the other through everything from hacking to stealth. If support enters first, they are to attempt to take control of the factory defenses to make things easier for the MHAGs before fading out of the area before help arrives (they'd be useless against whatever is sent to fight the hijacked MHAGs anyways).

I'm sure someone who has a better understanding of why we're on the docks than I do can provide a better strategy here.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2012, 11:42:23 pm »

Umm... No...

The whole point of this was just to destroy the MHAGs as a job for the gunrunner, so he could get a shipment through. >_>

I mean, if you REALLY want to rampage with the MHAGs... I mean, its not like we can go anywhere with them, they'd have tracking beacons and any dumbass with eyes and/or ears would be able to follow you. If we use them, we need results, then to haul ass out of there before backup arrives to obliterate us.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2012, 11:56:54 pm »

Well then I guess we basically accomplished our goal? Maybe head in for a quick firefight, aiming to deal as much damage to the damaged MHAGs as possible (if any of their pilots are stupid enough to try to get out, we can shoot the control panel or something?). If we have, like, grenades we should maybe toss a few of those.

And then get out as fast as possible.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:55 am »

I'm the only one with a grenade, and its only a flashbang :|

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16:39 am »

Ok.

So we should close in now, conserving ammo till we're close. Kill the pilots, maybe shoot up the control panels a bit before firing at any weak spots too. Drop the flashbang to cover our retreat?

Maybe I should let someone else come up with the plan here, since I clearly don't have a handle on what's going on?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2012, 01:16:57 am »

Yeah, not sure how these MHAGs work, but they should have some weakspots if we can get up close to them. Wiring behind joints, a control panel, etc.

I say we casually move the squad near the MHAGs, making sure to blend in, and see what sort of damage we've done. Run up to the MHAGs and ask them if they're okay, offer to help them, and when they're out, bullet to the back of the head. Otherwise, nail the joints and control systems to knock out their mobility and sensors.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:05 pm »

Yeah, not sure how these MHAGs work, but they should have some weakspots if we can get up close to them. Wiring behind joints, a control panel, etc.

I say we casually move the squad near the MHAGs, making sure to blend in, and see what sort of damage we've done. Run up to the MHAGs and ask them if they're okay, offer to help them, and when they're out, bullet to the back of the head. Otherwise, nail the joints and control systems to knock out their mobility and sensors.
This plan is better. Let's go with this.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2012, 04:26:22 pm »

This plan is better. Let's go with this.

Agreed. Let's kick this.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:07 pm »

TIE-BREAKER!

Thank the gods, I was starting to go insane from lack of posts in all the RPs I'm in.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

When Sarah comes back from her "mission", she's very pale, and her breath cracks with a small sob every now and then. Tyler follows behind, looking only slightly worried, and the smell of burning clothes and hair wafts from his person.
She leans against the alleyway wall, before speaking.
"I didn't....I didn't know that would happen...I swear. I didn't...mean..."
"Well good job little Miss Arson and Mister Arson. How does it feel knowing you've killed more then a few innocent people?"
Zera's taunt cuts deep, and Sarah lets herself sob once, before lapsing into a quiet silence, laden with guilt. Tyler doesn't say a word.
"Oh pull yourself together."
"Leave her alone."
"Fine. Whatever, lets go."

Sarah is unusable.
((Failed a mental state roll.))

When the Party arrives at the burning road, it's filled with wounded and shell-shocked citizens, Zera ignores them, trying to make a nonchalant beeline for the MHAGs, and the others reluctantly follow. But the Camo and Face Masks ruins the attempt, and most of the citizens who can flee do so.

All of the MHAGs were disabled by the mine, the two that were closest to the EMP are sprawled out with their back's to the charred and short-circuiting lamppost. One is half turned and laying on it's side, and the farthest one out- the one with the blown off leg -is still laying on it's side.
The air is filled with the smell of burnt silicon and wiring.

"Hey, are you guys alright in there?"
"I'm fine, how are the civilians?"
With a glance around and a smirk, Zera replies.
"Most are fine."
"Oh thank God."
Zera checks her gun, Jenny just looks disturbed by the carnage around. Zera puts a hint of urgency in her voice when she speaks next.
"We need to get you out of your frame, sir, the fuel is leaking out of the barrels and getting closer. Can we have permission to open the hatch, using one of the emergency procedures?"
"Alright. Do you know where the Secondary Security-"
The rest of him speaking is telling the group the procedure to open the hatch, using the manual override.
Zera and Rubble- with the other's working on another- rip off a section of steel plating and Kevlar and grasp the red-handle and pull up.

The hatch opens with the hiss of hydraulics, the officer stands up, his grin of thanks fades as Zera brings the Revolver up and fires. He slumps back into the cockpit with a hole through the neck.

Jenny and Tyler manage to open their's, and a redhead stumbles out. He almost thanks the kids who got him out, but stops dead when he notices what the two are wearing. Jenny steps back a bit, and aims the Carbine with a shaking hand, making the man stop reaching for his Revolver, and put his hands on his head.
"Who-...Listen, you don't have to do this, I'm a citiz-"
Another shot from Zera's Revolver. Jenny looks away as the man slumps and bleeds out.

"What was that, Johnny? Don't you hear the damn sirens?"

It's short work to open the other two, and both pilots emerge blinking. Jenny aims her gun and fires, but the bullet just grazes the man's arm.
Zera fires on her pilot- A blond with a blue fringe to her hair, much like Zera's, who tried to quick draw on her- and ends a another life.
The only other cop alive draws his revolver and shoots, hitting Jenny in the hip bone, but not doing too much damage.
Zera, shoots the remaining officer twice, in the side.

Zera strides over to Jenny and grabs the Carbine out of her hands, while Tyler opens his kit and begins to treat the wound.

"Guns are for big boys only. Get out of here.“
The sirens get closer as she checks the ammo on the carbine and puts a few rounds into each console and sensor that she can see, wasting both clips.
She loots the ammo from the revolvers, then turns and flees into a back alley.

She meets up with rest of the group, and gestures for them to follow her, and they do, with two- Jenny and Sarah- lagging.

"You're all worthless. Where was that backbone from before? Huh?"

Spoiler: Zera's Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jenny's Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fifth's Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sarah's Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyler's Status (click to show/hide)

You have destroyed a MHAG Guardsmen Patrol and killed the Pilots.
You have blown up a fuel warehouse.
The Casualties from your recent incident are eight dead Citizens, thirteen wounded Citizens, and four dead Law Enforcement Officers.

What now?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17