Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to wall off the aquifier?  (Read 1578 times)

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to wall off the aquifier?
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:18:00 am »

Something like this to stop the water from seeping into the fort?

matryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to wall off the aquifier?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:42:00 am »

Yes, in fact that's exactly what I've just done.
You need to keep pumping water out while you're working on the wall though.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

You can even use wooden walls.  However, it's fairly tedious and difficult, and it requires a good bit of planning if you've got more than one Z-level of aquifer to tunnel through.  A lot of it involves moving your pump(s) around and repeatedly unsuspending construction jobs that were suspended due to flooding.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:41:00 am »

Ice makes it a lot easier, too. (http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001824)

do this:

code:

#############
#X%%.....%%X#
###=.....=###
###=..>..=###
###=.....=###
#X%%.....%%X#
#############

#=wall
X=open floor
%=pumps
==powered axle
.=floor below, which is an aquifer level filled with water

With that, try to build walls in the four corners. You may need to move some of the pumps around to keep the middle dry enough for dwarves to path after you've built wall and blocked off a couple pumps. Then, when winter comes, dig out the ice in the middle sections of the walls, and in the instant before more water leaks out and freezes, designate walls to build; that'll make the edges much quicker & easier than the corners.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

What if you were to mod in a ice demon that is really cold then chain him there so he freezes the water then mine it out, build the walls and move the beast? just a thought.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

shrikebtr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

When you do the tunneling down thing, whether via ice or pumps, do you need to ignore and wall off the level below the aquifer as well? I tried doing this a few times on aquifer maps, and finally gave up as everything would be fine for a while, and all of a sudden for no apparent reason, the level below would start to flood. What made it further difficult to problem solve was that with all the stone on the ground, it was impossible to see the source of the water, as floor tiles with a stone on them will not display that they also have 7 units of water as well.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Anyone try the spirit of ice idea?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shrikebtr:
<STRONG>When you do the tunneling down thing, whether via ice or pumps, do you need to ignore and wall off the level below the aquifer as well? I tried doing this a few times on aquifer maps, and finally gave up as everything would be fine for a while, and all of a sudden for no apparent reason, the level below would start to flood. What made it further difficult to problem solve was that with all the stone on the ground, it was impossible to see the source of the water, as floor tiles with a stone on them will not display that they also have 7 units of water as well.</STRONG>

Yes. Don't touch that level. Water seeps down from the ceiling. And by seeps, I mean torrents.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

There's one thing that would ease the aquifer bypassing.

Pipes.

As in real mining operations involving getting rid of water, a pumping rig is set up on top of the mine, with pipes leading down to suck up water from below.

In this case, you would build a set of pumps clustered together, connect them all into an array with pipes, and "wall off" your digging area with said pipes. Once you successfully wall off the aquifer on one level (pumps will suck away all water from all incoming sources, so the center of the pit will be dry), you can build a staircase down and channel into the next layer right underneath the pipes. If the water is there also, you can build more pipe sections on this level, blocking off the water from it, and pumping water away from the level below, allowing you to safely dig down and repeat the procedure. The same system will make an emergency drainage device, should you accidentally penetrate the aquifer from below.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India