Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Game Over. Scum Victory.  (Read 50584 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Day 1- The investigation begins!
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

Scelly: Who can accurately judge who would be a good scumbuddy when none of us beginners have yet had the pleasure of even conversing (excluding the IC's)?
Previous games, the way they play other games, the list goes on.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

Not a moot point. You learn a lot about poeple by the way they reply to questioning.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »

Mii:  If you were scum, who would you choose as a scumbuddy.  Not just players in this game.  Just Bay12 mafia players.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 09:02:27 pm »

Scelly:

Scelly: Who can accurately judge who would be a good scumbuddy when none of us beginners have yet had the pleasure of even conversing (excluding the IC's)?
Previous games, the way they play other games, the list goes on.

But for many, this is a first game. No meta on new players.

Not a moot point. You learn a lot about poeple by the way they reply to questioning.

... and no one had spoken or replied by the time you made that post (hint: it was the first post).

Obolisk:

Mii:  If you were scum, who would you choose as a scumbuddy.  Not just players in this game.  Just Bay12 mafia players.

If I were scum, I would choose someone with experience and someone who has an imposing reputation. Give or take, the obvious ones - Webadict, Toaster, Jim. I would not want any of them to be a lurking scumbuddy, or a raucous one - it depends on the game and the situation.
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:02 pm »

... and no one had spoken or replied by the time you made that post (hint: it was the first post).
I really don't see what that has to do with it. When they post I will read it and therefore I will learn from it.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »

Is most everyone else in a completely different timezone than me, or do the games normally proceed at this pace?
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

The weekends are traditionally slower here, which is why weekends count for 0 hours in terms of ending days or night or inactivity.  It's not uncommon for an entire weekend to pass with few, if any, posts.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2012, 11:05:25 pm »

I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

Go team scum!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 12:00:12 am »

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

jaxler, let's say you're the Cop. You want to catch scum during the night with an inspection. What do you look for?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

Additionally, before anybody else does anything, I will stress the importance of activity. You should be as active as possible. A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

obolisk0430: If, as scum, you had the opportunity to switch the vote from an Innocent with you next on the list to a fellow Scum with you no longer having any suspicion on you, would you do it? Assuming you asked him if he wanted to be sacrificed and he said no.
Probably not.  If I got people to lose a mafia guy, I would lose a mafia guy from the mafia team.  If I don't do it, a Townie dies, and I will PROBABLY die later.  This is my first mafia game ever, so there is not a chance in hell I could somehow manipulate the Townies using the newfound trust.  At least the way I'd do it, a Townie dies.

I suppose now is as good a time as any, since I don't actually know what either of you are getting at.

Communicating clearly and effectively is extremely important in a mafia game. The easier you get your point across, the quicker you can get others to come to your point of view, saving time that would be spent otherwise by people asking you what you mean, to clarify what you said, and so on and so on. If a player has to spend longer than he or she may want to try to parse meaning from your post, he or she may end up deciding not to. If you have good arguments, or if you think you have good arguments, this is obviously something you don't want to happen.

Communicating effectively is something I'll probably get into later, once some real arguments start getting tossed around.

obolisk0430: As a citizen, If the vote was You-2 Suspicious guy-1 Innocent guy -1 and you where voting for the random guy, would you change your vote to the innocent guy to prevent being lynched? Then consider the same question except someone else says they will also vote for Innocent Guy if you vote for him.

Vote gaming to avoid a lynch is an incredibly scummy thing to do. While it may save you in the short term, come the next day you will be ruthlessly lynched. There's no good reason for someone who's town to do it; lynches are valuable town resources and it wastes two.

It's only really something scum will do, if it's at lylo, and they think they can get away with it. It's worked in the past, but it does make people really, really, really, really absurdly ridiculously angry.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:33 am »

Very useful tip

Awsome tip

Great tip

Vote gaming to avoid a lynch is an incredibly scummy thing to do. While it may save you in the short term, come the next day you will be ruthlessly lynched. There's no good reason for someone who's town to do it; lynches are valuable town resources and it wastes two.

It's only really something scum will do, if it's at lylo, and they think they can get away with it. It's worked in the past, but it does make people really, really, really, really absurdly ridiculously angry.

No doubt.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

Scelly9: why, I don't know Scelly9, all I know is the LAW

jaxler: o-dear you are looking kind of, scummy, are you sure you are not coming down with a cold?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

unvote magma.

uber-pye:

jaxler: o-dear you are looking kind of, scummy, are you sure you are not coming down with a cold?

You're evading the question. Why is this?

Also, how is Jaxler being scummy? He has not even posted, which is excusable because it is weekend.

Quote from: important things that the mod says that you should read
The weekends are traditionally slower here, which is why weekends count for 0 hours in terms of ending days or night or inactivity.

This and the fact that Jaxler is also not the only one who has not posted so far makes accusing someone of lurking in the game at this point in time (if that is what you are doing - I see no other way that someone could identify scum with only a small 'in' post before the game even starts) is ridiculous.
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »

Give me a good answer, your current one makes you look a hell of a lot like scum. Quit being so vague.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »

drakon: Are you satisfied with your current partner, or would you prefer a different scumbuddy?

Magma: Who are you wary of the most - players who you have seen already around the mafia forum, or players who have started along with you (and who you are not familiar with)? Why?

1) Being mathematically correct: All of them.
2) There is no reason whatsoever for me to fear or be wary of anyone here. I would prefer the term "aware", and I'm gonna be aware the shit out of this game.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

This and the fact that Jaxler is also not the only one who has not posted so far makes accusing someone of lurking in the game at this point in time (if that is what you are doing - I see no other way that someone could identify scum with only a small 'in' post before the game even starts) is ridiculous.
I'm here don't worry. uber pye: no I'm not being scummy I just am being lazy =P. also as stated above I haven't really posted that much so why would you pounce on my for no reason?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:38:04 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25