Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Larger Maps: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 4035 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Larger Maps: Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »

My searches are not returning anything to match, so I need a quick piece of help.
What tools do I need ~or~ files I need to adjust so I can have a larger embarking world than what's currently provided?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Larger Maps: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »

Could you clarify? If you mean bigger than the embark screen then I commend you for having an insane computer that can embark over an entire square. If I've misunderstood and you just want it bigger than 3x3 embark then look at the hotkeys at the bottom of the screen.
If you actually mean world, Advanced Worldgen is your friend.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »

I mean the map where the dwarves are digging into the earth and moving.  The map where goblins invade.  The local map size... not the world map size.  Thanks,  where can I increase this size.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:20:39 pm by NTJedi »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

Worldgen has a hard limit of something like 257x257 or something, if you open the advanced parameters you can get that, i once tried altering the worldgen ini file to get the number higher but it wouldn't stick, i did however discover you can use that method for far more volcanos than advanced worldgen normally allows( every tile has a volcano anyone?)
If you mean embarking on larger than 16x16 i seriously don't think it is possible to run even with that large address aware patch and a 64 bit os allowing 4gb ram you still couldn't do a 16x16 without pruning everything possible from worldgen (no caverns, low Zlevels, very short history,etc)
Edit: oh ok, what you need is to use the U and H key to increase the embark square size, K and M would reduce the embark size
To move the embark square use u m k h .
Good luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:23:50 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »

I think he just wants to know that you can use U,K,H,M while choosing a site to change the size of the embark.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:50 pm »

Awesome!  Thanks guys!