Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I had a great first expereince to adventure mode.  (Read 4452 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I had a great first expereince to adventure mode.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:03 pm »

dont drop prone it does not make you harder to hit,does make you slower and a worse dodger.
it may even make you easyer to hit
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:12 pm »

You get a penalty to dodging because all you can do is 'Scramble/roll' out of the way and you are easier to hit because you're slower.

You're harder to hit because you're shorter.

Overall, it makes you easier to hit.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:50 pm »

shhh, you guys are ruining all the FUN :(
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:25 pm »

I found a working solution! if you recruit more than 5 companions they are in a full circle around you at start of battle, so you dont take any arrows!

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:04 pm »

I've decided to become the dwarven version of Axle. Im building like the silly bugger build of Dark Souls: Double shields, and dodge galore. Gonna steam roll me some bandit crossbowmen.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:12 am »

I've decided to become the dwarven version of Axle. Im building like the silly bugger build of Dark Souls: Double shields, and dodge galore. Gonna steam roll me some bandit crossbowmen.

Don't laugh, I had a D&D build almost exactly like that.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:42 am »

Don't laugh, I had a D&D build almost exactly like that.

Been there, dual tower shield improvised weapon fighter'd that.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:48 am »

The main problem is the sheer brutality of DF combat - any decent hit has a good chance of being crippling or outright lethal (and the former may tend to resemble the latter). 

The solution is to not get hit. 

Method:
1.  Start with moderate Shield User/Dodger skills
2.  Find a smallish, inoffensive animal (a monkey, a weasel, a groundhog - whatever's handy)
3.  Get next to it, grab it with one hand so it can't get away (presumably the hand not holding your shield)
4.  Spam the period key (or e.g. a macro that hits the period key 10 times) to sit there while it flails at you
5.  Continue until Legendary Dodger and Shield User (Dodger tends to train a bit faster, but if you lay down you dodge less and thus block with the shield more, which is good for boosting them back to equality)
6.  Become almost entirely unhittable
7. ???
8.  Profit!
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 03:45:27 am »

I've played one game where, if you had two shields you'd actually tie one on your back, taking it out when the other shield was bashed useless, but it still acted like a shield, so sometimes you'd take it out and wonder where those 5 arrows came from. That would be nice here too, with shots in the back often fracturing your spine.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:32 am »

You didnt do anything wrong.
Its like HFS that you dont have to breach, and btw, you have gone lucky, goblins will shoot you whit depleted uranium soon enough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 04:57:59 am »

I've played one game where, if you had two shields you'd actually tie one on your back, taking it out when the other shield was bashed useless, but it still acted like a shield, so sometimes you'd take it out and wonder where those 5 arrows came from. That would be nice here too, with shots in the back often fracturing your spine.
Mount & Blade?
I used to play Warband during the closed beta - Good times!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:10 am »

Mount & Blade?
I used to play Warband during the closed beta - Good times!

I liked shooting people with a crossbow several hundred feet away. Goodtimes.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 05:46:48 am »

If they didn't mod dodging xp rates, then put 15 points into dodging and you should be fine as you'll be Jackie Chan in dwarf form (if your a dwarf). 

If you want a way in which you absolutely don't have to fight crossbowmen when you are looking to train your skills, then find a town with a sewer system and find the whatever-people that inhabit them. 

In this way you can be 15 dodging and novice everything else and still train yourself upto good stats, while your dodging would increase slowly (unless they fixed its xp rate). 

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:14 am »

Nah, dodging still trains really slowly, unless you powerlevel it. I normally get dodging to the point where it takes 1,300 XP to get the next level ("expert", I think?) during character creation, and I have never once gotten a full level in dodging without specifically going out of my way to train it up.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:11 am »

Just want to say that as a legendary thrower, I've never been able to hit a prone target.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3