Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I had a great first expereince to adventure mode.  (Read 4461 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had a great first expereince to adventure mode.
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:29:08 pm »

Today, I started adventure mode, after being a long time Fortress player. So, I'm takin quests, makin freinds, and slaying werewolves and giant hyenas, and then it happens.

An ambush, a scoundrel of a bandit, weilding a crossbow! I snicker, as its 3v1, and I go to throw my copper dagger into his face. He makes his grand announcement, and I die. I didn't even realize I was dead, I thought the game froze.

He killed me first turn, copper bolt to the head.

What did I do wrong

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: I had a great first expereince to adventure mode.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »

a new adventurer ready to experience all the FUN that is to be had in the world of Dwarf fortress.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »

Bolts are now roughly as powerful as they were in the middle ages.

You could be a powerful knight in full armor, but if a pavisemen/arbalestier/crossbowmen managed to hit you, it was almost always a oneshot kill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

You could be a powerful knight in full armor, but if a pavisemen/arbalestier/crossbowmen managed to hit you, it was almost always a oneshot kill.

DAMN YOU ARBALESTS! DAMN YOU!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:52:08 pm »

Also: Bandit ambushes are now not only very common, but also feature historical figures with ridiculously high skills (and possibly high attributes too).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:55:40 pm »

Arbalests were considered the 'HEY NO FAIR THAT'S HAX' weapon of the middle ages.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:09 pm »

What did I do wrong
You did everything right. 

Next time concentrate your skill points on defensive skills like dodge and shield and armor use.  You need a shield or a lot of allies to block those bolts. 

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »

I like this version more than the other ones. Even if you play as a Bronze colossus they will occasionally(and by that I mean all the time) get in shots that will fracture you, or even knock your body parts off.

Stealth is defiantly the way to go.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

High shield use allows you a higher chance to block. Drop your weapon and replace it with another shield. Put a few points into stealth.

Then you might survive long enough to get spotted and pummeled to death.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:38 pm »

Bolts are now roughly as powerful as they were in the middle ages.

[/quote

Im aware crossbows pretty much did to bows what guns did to the middle ages. However, I was just wonder how from a gameplay stance, how does one avoid getting one shotted with no chance to do anything? Im aware this is dwarf fortress, but I'd like to keep my fun a little well, managable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »

The only real way currently is to drop a lot of points in stealth, go twin shields on them and use the terrain to your advantage. They can't shoot through trees or hills.

Use their friends against them. I have had many a laugh when I dodge out of the way of a flying silver bolt which strikes and kills one of their friends.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »

i think a good tactic might be to go prone as soon as you enter a fight/are spotted by archers.
being prone you are much much harder to hit with ranged.

but i wouldn't recommend staying prone, just go prone and stand back up and run at them.

that and lots of points in dodge shield and armor.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:26:17 pm by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »

i think a good tactic might be to go prone as soon as you enter a fight/are spotted by archers.
being prone you are much much harder to hit with ranged.

but i wouldn't recommend staying prone, just go prone and stand back up and run at them.

that and lots of points in dodge shield and armor.

I don't think being prone really helps, since it makes you much, much slower.
You would be giving them more time to shoot, even if it makes it a (bit) harder for them to hit.
(After some levels of archery / throwing / bow / cbow it's hard NOT TO hit enemies)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

Just had my first Adventure mode Experience.  Didn't know how to get food, so I killed a cavey.  Turns out, over the hill was a heard of Caveys.  Yes, my first Adventurer died to a pack of angry groundhogs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:29 pm »

Not even groundhogs. They're guinea pigs.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3