Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LEGENDARY COMPETITION: The contest starts! (discussion thread)  (Read 1524 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
LEGENDARY COMPETITION: The contest starts! (discussion thread)
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:51 pm »

DF2012 Legendary Competition
Do you have what it takes to forge a legend?  How about a lot of legends?

In five dwarf years, gather legendary rank in as many skills as possible.  Two legendary miners and one legendary stonecrafter count as just two skills.  Also, create the most legendary worker ever:  Cram as many legendary labors onto one dwarf as you can.    As a consolation prize, if you can only get a skill up to 'Great', it still counts for a little bit.  Think of it as "halfway to legendary", because it's very close to the halfway point from a maxed starting dwarf.  Dwarves must be ALIVE to count!

At least one living dwarf with a Legendary rank, per skill, whether military, social or labor: 5 points
If a skill has no Legendaries, then at least one dwarf with a Great rank:  1 point
Each legendary labor skill past the first, on your single best dwarf: 5 points

Ties will be broken in this order:
- Number of skills with a Legendary dwarf
- Number of Legendary labors on best dwarf
- Number of skills with a Great but no Legendaries
- Total skill points on the best dwarf.  Dwarf Therapist should be updated by then, and if not, I'll figure something out.

At the end of your fifth winter, post in the results thread (which I will create later) with your score and a link to your uploaded save.

You must run a stock DF game: No changing the raws.  New, fresh world.  Tweak your worldgen settings to end generation at year 2 to limit the number of legendary hist-fig immigrants, and feel free to do whatever else you want to worldgen within limits: Don't bump up minerals or embark points, but if you REALLY want that volcano, adjusting volcanism can give you a site you could have had anyway.

You MAY disable invaders at your discretion, but your setting (and goblin presence) will be reported with your score.

You don't have to play out all the years if you don't want; shorter periods can still get you a respectable score.  Planning is key, and a player who's willing to design a hyper-efficient fortress and get into the nitty-gritty of game mechanics will have a huge advantage.

Some labors are trivial, and some are nearly impossible.  Getting a legendary animal dissector is worthy of high praise.  Getting a legendary bone doctor is worthy of true fear!

Anyway, if you're going to give it a shot, leave a post.

Plan out your embarks well, my friends, and enjoy the skills you never thought you'd use.

I'm starting this out with a prize of a Steam game up to $10, or other service where I can gift easily.  High participation may make that number go up~.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:05:42 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jesusmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Competition: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »

Do we get a bonus if said legendaries are ALL on one dwarf? Because with enough time, corpses, and candy; if Akost the Dwarven god of random numbers smiles upon me, I could do this in 5. Would fortress defense count against me? Since it doesn't do anything cheaty, I usually like to use it for extra challenge and military/doctor/lyemaker/soapmaker/furnace operator- et cetera skills.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »

More skills on one dwarf is indeed more points!

No mods, though, even ones that give you more invaders.  That's free corpses, and more bones that another player wouldn't have access to.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »

Hey guys, is ten years too long? 'Cause I can drop it down to require more skill.  Is five years enough for good fun, or too short?  I could have different leagues...

EDIT: Yeah, after playing with this myself, I like five years better.  GOOD LUCK, YOU CAN DO IT.  Also, less years = less time commitment, and if you're seriously hardcore, you can compete with yourself and play it over again, learning from mistakes...or enter twice with/without invaders...or whatever.

Oh yeah and there will be a couple of prizes and they'll be worth having.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:19:19 am by Sowelu »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »

PTW

(And possible contending)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LEGENDARY COMPETITION: The contest starts! (discussion thread)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:07:58 pm »

IT BEGINS

Give it a shot.  Low time investment, lots of fun, prizes!  Just remember to change your worldgen settings to end at year 2.