Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Werecreatures and the lunar cycle  (Read 11495 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werecreatures and the lunar cycle
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »

Werewolves have a great potential of fun but in a state they're now, they can't even annoy.
In a fortress mode, transformation is too short. They usually make it to the entrance then turn into human and are all like "oh, hell, I've forgotten to turn off the oven at home! Got to go, bye!"
In an adventure, transformation is too rare, player has to wait for weeks to fight a beast not a naked peasant.

The first issue could be fixed even with modding were it not hardcoded: make lunar cycles longer. We could pretend that either every df world has at least two satellites with cycles of one of which months correspond and the other one governs transformations or that dwarves measure months in some other ways and everyone else obviously uses dwarven calendar if you look at the names.
I'd personally like to see werewolf seasons, two whole months a year of monster rampage rather than 5 days a month.

As for adventurers, probably infected creatures should also become somewhat prone to rage and in case they become enraged they transform into.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:17:12 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Werecreatures the lunar cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »

I'd personally like to see werewolf seasons, two whole months a year of monster rampage rather than 5 days a month.
This. But the game should stop keeping track of rampages and duels. Oooor wereX could transform when they are in danger. But the problem is to define what is enoguh to force him to transform and what isn't.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

The game should stop at least showing rampages and duels in Legends mode except when a VERY important target is a victim or the Rampage is particularly destructive (like destroying half the city or 20% of the population).

Beznogim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »

Urist McWerewolf in fortress mode should transform not only during lunar cycles, but also when he is in an unhappy mood, or when he is so hungry that he is forced to hunt vermin to survive, or when falls in martial trance fighting goblins
От БЕЗНОГNМ станет всем ДОСМОТ,
От БЕЗНОГNМ V1 o5 u2,
НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ!
Просмотревших людей сойдут с ума!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Werecreatures and the lunar cycle
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:50:20 am »

Dwarf mode time is already weird.  Bump the lunar cycle to three months instead of one month.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:45 am »

As for adventurers, probably infected creatures should also become somewhat prone to rage and in case they become enraged they transform into.

+1 this. Sounds far better than now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:03:40 pm »

make lunar cycles longer.

Def. yes. There needs to be that time of the year when all hell under Earth has to really hit the ceiling.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:00 pm »

>As for adventurers, probably infected creatures should also become somewhat prone to rage and in case they become enraged they transform into.

Yes, this. "You want to hit me? C'mon, hit me. Come over here and hit me, see what happens."

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:48:37 am »

I think everything is fine now. This game is not about werethings & no need to make it whole about & longer then exist. I like dragons but have never seen them in game but I don't cry about it & don't want to make this game looks like Dragon Fortress =)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:01:50 am by Burmalay »

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:08 am »

I think werecreatures should be like vampires. Sneaking into a fort as a migrant, then transforming in the middle of the meeting hall when a full moon hits.
Vae Victis

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:04 am »

I think werecreatures should be like vampires. Sneaking into a fort as a migrant, then transforming in the middle of the meeting hall when a full moon hits.

This. Imagine.

Urist McMayor transforms into wereelephant during meeting!

Quote from: Di
Also this is good suggestion.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

For adventure mode having it only last a night is my preference. I'd like to recreate the classic scene: You're a normal farmer part of a larger village but once a month you go on a rampage. You wait for the day when they figure you out and turn up with flaming torches and forks.

I quite like the idea that you'd turn when angry. Perhaps in fort mode they could arrive enraged and have the curse last longer?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:17:49 pm »

Fortress mode were things definitely sound wimpy. I like the idea of migrating werethings, or maybe even traders or whatever that are lycanthropic. I also second the idea that angry/fighting werebeasts should transform. A vampire is a slow, constant drain on population; a werebeast goes on periodic multi-dwarf rampages and spreads its curse more easily.
Also, adventurer werebeasts might lose control every couple of turns while transformed if there is a tasty target adjacent to them. Ideally, this wouldn't affect the non-beast-form adventurer overmuch.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 05:11:44 pm »

I think everything is fine now. This game is not about werethings & no need to make it whole about & longer then exist. I like dragons but have never seen them in game but I don't cry about it & don't want to make this game looks like Dragon Fortress =)
When you get a dragon it won't run away like a scared girl  :(
Jokes aside, Burmalay has pointed out incorrectness in my original post, being a typical baydelver I was advocating for cycle elongation so it would fit into military scheduling system providing a good deal of control. This probably shouldn't happen regularly, but it doesn't mean wervolves don't deserve a bit of more variation.
We've been waiting for them just as for everything else and it's not fair for vampires and necros to take up all the spotlight. Why are we forced to use cagetraps and release beast in the middle of meeting hall in order to obtain fun?
As Kie said they should be more like vamps. Seriously, simply sticking them into vampire algorithm during worldgen wouldn't even look strange. They could kill, run away and move to other place under fake identity just as well.
During a fortress mode, they just need minor behavior modifications too. A werewolf dwarf probably should go sneaking some time before transforming vanishing from the units screen (just like ambush predators already do). And seeing someone transforming into a beast should trigger a crime report just like vampire feeding.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »

Make the lunar cycles last a season.

Also, make it the more the dwarf is enraged the further the moon can be from "full" for him to be okay.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold
Pages: [1] 2 3