Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can i take out a creature file after embark?  (Read 1735 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can i take out a creature file after embark?
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Stupid giant cave swallows occasionally kill a stray dwarf, and then pick off the other guys as they try and collect the pieces. hopefully i have this all under control...but if not, if i remove (probably just cut it out for now) the cave swallow code, will the game crash? if not, will it change, or would i need to take it out before starting a new fort?
-Toast-_

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: can i take out a creature file after embark?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Nope. If you add or remove a new entry, you have to generate a new world before the removal/addition takes effect.

On the other hand, you can CHANGE an existing entry and keep your current fortress. Changing the size of the devil-birds to around 1 or 2 should make them easier to deal with.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

Another way to get rid of them from your fort would be to set their maxage to a low number. They should then all keel over of old age shortly after you reload the fort.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

I would just remove their hearts and lungs from their body entries.  I havent tried it but it should work.  

Forgetting those parts on a custom creature without specifically preparing it with the no breathe and blood tags seem to cause them to die almost immediately.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

removing entries will cause a world genned with those entries to crash, while added entries simply won't show up. I'm not sure if you can fix this by modding the raws or not; I'd read somewhere that changes to the raws won't apply to existing instances of a creature, only new ones.

I.E., I make elephants size 6. The elephants on the map will stay size 16, but any new elephants that wander in or get born will be size 6. I have not confirmed this personally, however.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

that is great advice guys thanks. i recently slaughtered maybe 20 of them, but if they get in the way again, i will try some of that. thanks
-Toast-_