Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Child strangeness in Dwarf Therapist  (Read 2181 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Child strangeness in Dwarf Therapist
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:51 am »

I've been (barely) surviving in an evil embark on the new version, and thoroughly enjoying it, but I noticed something odd, dwarven children and babies don't seem to be being given the Dwarven Baby or Child profession anymore, and can be assigned labours.

This makes it very hard to distinguish between useful adult dwarves and vampire food *ahem* children,  who won't work.   :-\

Is there any way around this?
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Child strangeness in Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:27 am »

Mostly, wait for therapist to update.  Finding the memory offsets is a very intensive precess and these sort of bugs are common.

Second, go to your announcements.txt file, somewhere in the init folder I think, and find the line that includes growing up.  There's an announcement for "The child has become a peasant" - find that and make it to "pause and zoom to location".  Now, in therapist, look for dwarves that have no labors - especially "caring for patients" because this is a default labor.  If they have this labor disabled, then nickname them to "MEATSHIELD".  You have now singled out your fortress's children.  When one of them grows up into an adult (12 year old) dwarf, the camera should zoom in on them, and you can even hit a - z to find them exactly.  Then you use DF's nickname system to remove the "MEATSHIELD" nickname.  You can now made a child into an adult, and you can find them on Therapist as the odd adult with no labors.

Third, Therapist has its own thread.  If you're having issues with therapist, it would go best into the therapist thread.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:53:09 am »

Mostly, wait for therapist to update.  Finding the memory offsets is a very intensive precess and these sort of bugs are common.

Second, go to your announcements.txt file, somewhere in the init folder I think, and find the line that includes growing up.  There's an announcement for "The child has become a peasant" - find that and make it to "pause and zoom to location".  Now, in therapist, look for dwarves that have no labors - especially "caring for patients" because this is a default labor.  If they have this labor disabled, then nickname them to "MEATSHIELD".  You have now singled out your fortress's children.  When one of them grows up into an adult (12 year old) dwarf, the camera should zoom in on them, and you can even hit a - z to find them exactly.  Then you use DF's nickname system to remove the "MEATSHIELD" nickname.  You can now made a child into an adult, and you can find them on Therapist as the odd adult with no labors.

Third, Therapist has its own thread.  If you're having issues with therapist, it would go best into the therapist thread.

Thank you, that was an absolutely glowingly helpful response :)
I know the work on Therapist is very complex and I'm actually constantly astounded at the amount of talent and work that gets shared around on these forums, kudos to you and everyone involved, really :) I'll use the workaround you recommended, sounds like a good and easy way of doing it.

And yes, I should have put this in DT's own thread, sorry about that, but thanks for the help!
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:22 am »

My solution is a bit fidgety, but it's the best I've seen so far and it actually does work when applied right.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:51 am »

My solution is a bit fidgety, but it's the best I've seen so far and it actually does work when applied right.

As I said, thanks :) Anything that saves me from inadvertently putting a horde of toddlers into the military  :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:00 am »

Girlinhat:

Are there any references for the previously known memory structures?  I might be coaxed into digging into the DF process with a copy of Artmoney to verify/update the profession structure whitepages, if a more up to date structure dataset was made available.

Most of the memory hacking information in the wiki is so old it has cave moss growing on it.

I am already familiar with hunting offsets, but I don't want to waste anyone's time doing needless work.

(Artmoney is awesome. Even the free version has a memory table viewer tied to the searcher interface.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:28:13 am »

I wouldn't know.  That's not something I get into.  But I am aware that there's a Dwarf Therapist project going on, using some sort of git or whatever, where you can track project progress and make contributions.  Head over to the actual thread for info on that.  Though I have to be blunt, don't expect to contribute much.  Just knowing how to find memory isn't that impressive.  More talented people are already hashing through the offsets and apparently they really know how to get it done.

Not trying to sound mean, just don't get any expectations to waltz over and suddenly fix everything.

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:09 am »

The best work around I found was to go to your units screen, press the up arrow once, then nickname all the children 'child'. Viola, now you have a little note in Therapist to distinguish them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:30:14 am »

I wouldn't know.  That's not something I get into.  But I am aware that there's a Dwarf Therapist project going on, using some sort of git or whatever, where you can track project progress and make contributions.  Head over to the actual thread for info on that.  Though I have to be blunt, don't expect to contribute much.  Just knowing how to find memory isn't that impressive.  More talented people are already hashing through the offsets and apparently they really know how to get it done.

Not trying to sound mean, just don't get any expectations to waltz over and suddenly fix everything.

Naw naw. I know better.  I do have a little experience reverse engineering data structures though. (With the help of another person using the alias of manauser, I helped reverse engineer the morrowind/oblivion raster font format several years ago.)

I don't have any delusions of grandure, mostly it would be for my own masochistic pleasure. I delight in simply knowing. If the pursuit of that knowing helps others, even better.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 03:41:52 am »

...Do you have the latest version? I'm using 0.6.12, came out a few days ago, and I can hide children/babies fine, and it won't allow me to assign them labors at all....

Do you have the cheat option turned on that allows you to assign kids labors?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:52 am »

When 34.01 came out i could use dwarf therapist to assign kids to jobs.

I downloaded latest version after realizing version # did not match the listing in its thread here.

Kids r now usess again.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:16 am »

Sorry for doing a necro on my own thread here, but I just glanced back through and noticed you guys saying the new version of therapist fixes the child labour strangeness, and I just wanted to say thanks :)

I had checked the DT thread but I didn't see any mention about fixing that it in the new version so I thought I still had to wait.

Cheers :) Thanks to you my latest fort can resume it's spiral into madness and undead dwarven fingers.  :P

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:47 am »

I have a 80 pick strong child mining core, in my 180-ish dwarf fort.