Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61299 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2012, 09:47:59 am »

Those are cyborgs, not Robots.

Clearly they are Robot sympathizers though, so yes.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2012, 09:56:39 am »

Those are cyborgs, not Robots.

Clearly they are Robot sympathizers though, so yes.

Nah, send them to the concentration Happy Fun Time camps.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

My brother downloaded a piano app on his iPad.. thing.  Tried to play chopsticks on it.  It can't play chopsticks because the touchscreen can't handle multiple inputs I guess.  I promptly walked over to the family piano and played chopsticks easily on a device invented a couple hundred years ago just to make sure.

So in some ways, we don't entirely live in a science fiction world after all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2012, 10:57:50 am »

My brother downloaded a piano app on his iPad.. thing.  Tried to play chopsticks on it.  It can't play chopsticks because the touchscreen can't handle multiple inputs I guess.  I promptly walked over to the family piano and played chopsticks easily on a device invented a couple hundred years ago just to make sure.

Plenty of science fiction worlds are distopia's. Ours, of course, isn't. Our glorious civilizations stands proud and tall.

This message has been delivered to you by The Ministry of Truth. All hail Oceania
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:03:32 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 15, 2012, 11:54:29 am »

Plenty of science fiction worlds are distopia's. Ours, of course, isn't. Our glorious civilizations stands proud and tall.
Almost all current Western science fiction (and generally most of recent books, movies, games set in the future) tend to be dystopian, post-apocalyptic or otherwise show the world of the future as a relatively dark and bleak place.
Science fiction in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s was mostly optimistic: world peace, scientific progress, exploration of space. Now it's all about dark polluted cyberpunk hellholes.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2012, 12:02:08 pm »

Actually, you're about 10 years off. The straight cyberpunk craze lasted from the mid-70's to the early-00's as a deconstruction of sci-fi. Now we're transitioned towards Post-Cyberpunk, a reconstruction of sci-fi that has far more realistic analysis. Post-Cyberpunk characterizes the problems of the future as existent but mutable (as opposed to cyberpunk's immutable problems) and generally portrays their causes as the result of misguided intentions rather than straight vice.

This is a reflection of how the real world sees things, too. People are way more optimistic now than they were in the past few decades.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »

This message has been delivered to you by The Ministry of Truth.
Great, now we've got confirmation. The world is going to be covered in a great, red ash cloud. Why must evil authorities always use moons as headquarters? You shouldn't be even able to access it anymore, you lawbreakers!
On the other hand, Lebensraum. Not that we need it, covered in ash and everything, but we'll keep the southern parts.

Now, if you'll excuse, I need to grab my spear, lick some sap and make preparations for the inevitable invasion. Because you never stopped calling me scum, you self-righteous, barbaric, racist... And other... things. Yes.

:P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »

Actually, you're about 10 years off. The straight cyberpunk craze lasted from the mid-70's to the early-00's as a deconstruction of sci-fi. Now we're transitioned towards Post-Cyberpunk, a reconstruction of sci-fi that has far more realistic analysis. Post-Cyberpunk characterizes the problems of the future as existent but mutable (as opposed to cyberpunk's immutable problems) and generally portrays their causes as the result of misguided intentions rather than straight vice.

This is a reflection of how the real world sees things, too. People are way more optimistic now than they were in the past few decades.

Yeah. Nowadays we're like, "Shit sucks, but we have better than even odds of making it way way better for our great grandkids."

Back then they were like, "If only- I've just been stabbed. I'm dying. Tell my wife... She's a harridan and I hate her..."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt, can you provide examples of any notable Post-Cyberpunk books/films/games?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2012, 12:20:32 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt, can you provide examples of any notable Post-Cyberpunk books/films/games?

I can. Prometheus.

Magnificient tech and all that jazz, the only problem was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's fucking with us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:29 pm »

I don't see how that's a problem.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

Post-Cyberpunk characterizes the problems of the future as existent but mutable (as opposed to cyberpunk's immutable problems) and generally portrays their causes as the result of misguided intentions rather than straight vice.

Still spoilers. Just saying.

Weyland wasn't evil, he did many great things for humanity, he just got the wrong idea eventually, and it cost him his life, and the whole scientific expedition. Is that not fitting the criteria somehow?
He's fucking with us.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »

Still, I wouldn't call the world of Prometheus to be a nice place to live, even with magnificent technology and all that jazz being everywhere.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:17 pm »

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex was the really big one. It may well have been the alpha example of Post-Cyberpunk for most people.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a perfect example of Post-Cyberpunk because of the original Deus Ex, which was late-stage cyberpunk itself. There was some very bleak speck of hope for a utopic society in Deus Ex, but Human Revolution makes it an outright option. Plus in HR you've got characters who are Post-Cyberpunk personified:

Get the picture? Post-Cyberpunk can look like Cyberpunk and usually does, but then it pulls the rug out from under you.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:51:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:09 pm »

Still, I wouldn't call the world of Prometheus to be a nice place to live, even with magnificent technology and all that jazz being everywhere.

I don't know. It doesn't seem any worse than modern day life. Just more fancy toys, like holographic screens, and spaceships, and douchey androids.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25