Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61310 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »

Their behavior sounds very strange.  They are angry about his eyepiece but they take the time to stop and read the doctors note?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

I got the acronym! TADPOLE!
Terrible Automobile Drivers Policing Other Like Entities.

You gitiin froggy with me son?

I like it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2012, 06:40:49 pm »

My two cents on flying cars...
If we actuly put forth ANY amount of effort we would have then, we basicly have trains like that now and (unless we get robots to do all our work and america goes from capitolism to comunism for lak of a point in curency if robots do all work) wont happen because tire companys will go out of bussness and we have an economec colapce.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »

My two cents on flying cars...
If we actuly put forth ANY amount of effort we would have then, we basicly have trains like that now and (unless we get robots to do all our work and america goes from capitolism to comunism for lak of a point in curency if robots do all work) wont happen because tire companys will go out of bussness and we have an economec colapce.
Flying cars are actually *really* hard, and require a energy revolution before they become possible except maybe for the super-rich, and would probably require high level computing to make it easier then piloting a plane.
People have tried very hard, but its simply not doable with our current tech level, and will probably never be possible (well unless we have a technological singularity or something). Personal helicopters maybe, but everyone having flying cars is very unlikely.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »

The biggest problem with flying cars, IMHO, is the public. Look out at the road when there's a little bit of traffic. Do you really want those assholes/idiots to be able to kill themselves (and us) in three dimensions?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2012, 11:06:28 pm »

But that's just it. Even with how dangerous cars are, most people don't get killed by them.

Also, this is what autonomous vehicles could help with.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2012, 11:07:29 pm »

I wonder if I can get a license to pilot my own autonomous car. I'm a pretty good driver.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2012, 12:05:02 am »

Flying cars are actually *really* hard, and require a energy revolution before they become possible except maybe for the super-rich, and would probably require high level computing to make it easier then piloting a plane.
People have tried very hard, but its simply not doable with our current tech level, and will probably never be possible (well unless we have a technological singularity or something). Personal helicopters maybe, but everyone having flying cars is very unlikely.
Actually the only problem really is energy. Better, cheaper materials are also important - the composites we have for aircraft now are always going to be expensive to make, even if demand skyrocketed. The computers we have now (or ten years ago) could easily pilot all of our aircraft, even accounting for adverse weather and mechanical failure, but the FAA is notoriously slow to approve new technology for regular use - for better or worse. Consider the fact that there's a comparatively enormous amount of space for aircraft to maneuver around each other. The slowest, most thorough pathfinding algorithms we have would find air traffic control patterns to be child's play, since they only need to go through it once, and that's practically the only place where collisions can occur. Avoiding collisions elsewhere is a matter of coordinating and then plotting a course on the scale of miles to prevent the tiny fraction of a percent of a chance for two aircraft being in the same three dimensional coordinates at the same time. Personal flying cars would condense this, but not really by much for the commutes they would be practical for.

We'll probably have ubiquitous self-driving cars by the time we finally get to the point where we're willing to consider aircraft, and by then I think that if it's possible at all, superconductors will probably have been brought up to high enough temperatures to make hover cars, which are way cooler IMHO.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2012, 03:02:38 am »

Here is the Parajet Skycar

They cost £55,000 and the company is accepting orders now

It is considered a powered parachute / ultralight, and requires a relevant license that typically takes 1-2 weeks to get.

Here is the Terrafugia Fusion

Purchase price is $279,000

First shipments are expected this year

You do however, have to have at least a Sport Pilot's license to fly one legally.

Here is the Pal-V One three-wheel roadable gyrocopter

It is, unfortunately, still in development with no scheduled date of commercial availability, but is estimated to become available for $300,000.

It can be done. It has been done. At one time, automobiles and cell phones were toys for the rich, too. You might start seeing these things on the road and in the air within a year or two. In 5-10 years they might be common.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2012, 11:04:55 am »

Old news, but: http://tinyurl.com/1st-Cyborg-Hatecrime

Man that is bizarre.  I wouldn't have expected people to get so angry about something like that.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:08 am »

Well it's a one sided anecdote. Their behavior is VERY strange if that's a 100% accurate, complete account. Enough to be suspicious.

My guess is that it was a rather mundane brawl. People get into arguments over petty stuff and resort to blows all the time. The eyepiece was just an easy target for them.

Of course, that doesn't preclude the assaulters being... anti-transhumanists, I guess is the term? I would not be surprised if the eyepiece was a catalyst for a dispute. I just doubt the guy was a perfect, passive gentlemen to them before they attacked him.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »

Here is the Parajet Skycar

They cost £55,000 and the company is accepting orders now

It is considered a powered parachute / ultralight, and requires a relevant license that typically takes 1-2 weeks to get.

Here is the Terrafugia Fusion

Purchase price is $279,000

First shipments are expected this year

You do however, have to have at least a Sport Pilot's license to fly one legally.

Here is the Pal-V One three-wheel roadable gyrocopter

It is, unfortunately, still in development with no scheduled date of commercial availability, but is estimated to become available for $300,000.

It can be done. It has been done. At one time, automobiles and cell phones were toys for the rich, too. You might start seeing these things on the road and in the air within a year or two. In 5-10 years they might be common.
These aren't flying cars.
One is a glider, and you can't just switch between flying and on the ground without taking off the parachute first. the other is a plane that also has limited car abilities that would be a menace on a road. and one is a helicopter/car, that probably wouldn't work very well as a car either.

They are basically already workable aviation methods that have cars strapped on to them.

Furthermore, these wouldn't work at a large scale, fuel is a concern, as well as the problems with accidents (avoidable to some extent with computer systems, but as long as you are giving the drivers any control, they *will* end up crashing them sometimes, and considerably more then cars crash today). There is a reason that pilots licenses are so much harder to get then car licenses, and having flying cars would only cause a whole lot of problems in that regard.
I don't think the traffic problem with a million of these flying about new york city would be easy either, and unless they were restricted to pre-controlled lanes or entirely controlled by computers, would result in a lot of crashes.
It would also be a nightmare with security (it would be extremely easy to get a flying car loaded with bombs and fly it into the whitehouse, or over the border, or into a generic building), and I know the big governments would have some real problems with them even if they did become suddenly easily accessible and cheap.

EDIT: The flying helicopter one looks pretty road accessible though.
But they are all expensive (except the first one, which is basically a car glider), and aren't affordable unless you are pretty much a millionaire.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:33:41 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4L18zOEYI&feature=g-vrec

This is truly badass. They want to replace the road network with solar panels.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »

Make lights light up under car wheels and i'm sold.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2012, 01:17:20 pm »

What, no magnet emergency breaks? D:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25