Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61328 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2012, 10:10:35 am »

The thread has derailed itself full-circle.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:19 am »

Must be a sign of some apocalypse somewhere.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:23 am »

Everything is a sign of the apocalypse.  The world has been ending in slow motion since 1839.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2012, 11:38:45 am »

Everything is a sign of the apocalypse.  The world has been ending in slow motion since 1839 BCE.
Fix'd ♪
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:07 am »

Everything is a sign of the apocalypse.  The world has been ending in slow motion since 1839 Anno Mundi.
Fix'd ♪
Fix'd ♪
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »

Back on topic, imagine if you can ID people with the Google Glasses once you've seen their faces, and have instant access to their public data.

"Hello, Urist McClueless"
"How did you know my na-"
"36 years old, 6 foot tall, married to Urist McWife"
"Are you sta-"
"with 2 registered children, aged 8 and 12"

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »

Back on topic, imagine if you can ID people with the Google Glasses once you've seen their faces, and have instant access to their public data.

"Hello, Urist McClueless"
"How did you know my na-"
"36 years old, 6 foot tall, married to Urist McWife"
"Are you sta-"
"with 2 registered children, aged 8 and 12"

I actually really look forward to that.  I'm awful at remembering peoples names and this would help quite a bit.  I could also get it to prompt me with a random greeting, so that I don't just say the same thing everytime I meet somebody in the halls.  (I'm terrible at interacting with people)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2012, 12:46:22 pm »

You do that, and someone else will probably be registered pretty quickly.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »

There is one big problem with expecting marvelous technological achievements in the upcoming years: everyone is absolutely confident about the world economic and political system of today remaining relatively the same in the upcoming 50/100/200/500 years.
It reminds me of how the Soviet people in the 1960s dreamed of colonizing the Moon in the far-away year of 2000. Where's the Soviet moon colonies?
With all these talks about the world economic crisis going on, who can absolutely guarantee that the United States of America or the European Union as we know them now will exist in the far future? You guys are talking like no serious catastrophe is going to happen at all in the USA or the EU in the future, and we will have Apple manufacturing IPhone 20G, Google manufacturing those electronic glasses, etc. Well, the Soviets didn't believe that the USSR will ever collapse too.
The reason why I am ranting about politics here is that all that impacts the technological progress. I don't think that Apple will continue to spill out the umpteen generation of IPads should the USA suddenly and unexpectedly collapse.
It reminds me of how the Soviet people in the 1960s dreamed of colonizing the Moon in the far-away year of 2000. Where's the Soviet moon colonies?
Where's the Soviet moon colonies?
Soviet moon colonies

OH GOD HE KNOWS.

TO THE MOON PODS!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »

In Soviet Russia, bananas go you... on the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »

There is one big problem with expecting marvelous technological achievements in the upcoming years: everyone is absolutely confident about the world economic and political system of today remaining relatively the same in the upcoming 50/100/200/500 years.
Actually, in these cases, it doesn't matter what happens. The difference between these future-visions of today and those you mention is cost. Moonbases, flying cars, jetpacks; all those were expected because people expected an energy revolution which would essentially make everything free in the future. Living Earth Simulator and self driving cars require none of that. Such systems are really damn cheap, as all they require are programmers. Hell, I could develop passable software to make a self-driving car work for under half a million, even if I were being paid really well. The simulator project is just the same as what we do now, but with more data throughput.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »

The difference between flying cars and self-driving cars is that we already have proof that large computer networks can function and be reasonably built. We have some proof that very small aircraft can be built, but not that they can be built in bulk or adequately used by a large number of people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »

I'm still determined to one day have my hoverbike.  Actually, if I ever get a hoverbike, I'll have to get computer sunglasses to go with them... and take up freerunning... and then I'll have almost completely turned into my favorite tabletop roleplay character (everything besides being mentally and physically superhuman due to being an Amberite)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2012, 12:30:47 am »

I'm still determined to one day have my hoverbike.  Actually, if I ever get a hoverbike, I'll have to get computer sunglasses to go with them... and take up freerunning... and then I'll have almost completely turned into my favorite tabletop roleplay character (everything besides being mentally and physically superhuman due to being an Amberite)
Just add cybernetic enhancements. Instant awesome.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

Just add cybernetic enhancements. Instant awesome.

He had very minor cybernetic implants.  He had ear implants for his digital audio and he interfaced with his computer sunglasses via fingertip implants allowing him to type and gesture on any surface.  His trenchcoat pockets had a stiff lining, so he would just walk around computing with his hands in his pockets all the time.  He also used trump power to resurrect his dead sister into a living AI.

I miss playing that guy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25